Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie shifter going out of buisiness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tulfabrication, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj40's

mj40's

It's cheaper to buy the bolt on stuff than pay the $70 per hour to have some guy spend a couple days to engineer and fabricate the same thing. And mine is all Ford steel. :D

2. Question>> was it bad business practises or the general economy being in the dumps that this company is having problems?
    Seems everyone can agree that they made good quality products!

3. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Hot rod stuff ain't like chain store hamburgers. I've worked with many start-up and veteran parts manufactures and fab shops over the past 25 years. None of them got into it to make their fortune. The passion of a "better idea" or to simplify the building process for others was first - and the hope of just making a living, if they were lucky. And I've seen the results of the founders cashing out and you can't blame them for wanting a life and a few bucks to retire on.

But without the passion it just doesn't work. The few transfers of companies that have worked is because of the new owner's own passions and love of the hobby (Pete&Jakes is the prime example!) MBA's and daddy's money-guys are only interested in the financials or want to buy a place in the hot rod world.

If you can make your own stuff, great! If you need to buy some stuff, PLEASE support the people who put their time and money out to create good products and understand that few of them are getting rich off this hobby.

Oh, and how many people would show up for 8 months without pay to work at a burger joint? Mike has the passion - now he just needs an good opportunity.

4. kingpins

kingpins

nicely said....

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

I fail to see how a bad economy can cause lousy customer service. In my business, it's the main thing I try to emphasize when business is down in order to get a leg up on my competition. After all, "good" customer service doesn't cost any more than "bad" customer service. It's just a matter of what attitude the owners instill in the employees. Whenever I see bad customer service caused by poor management, I'm reminded of the phrase "The fish rots from the head down".

Bob

6. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Most people hold those with the ability and shear will to make their own parts rather than buying them in high regard. Unfortunately, when these creative and talented craftsmen get high on themselves and start to think they are better than everyone else, the respect quickly dissipates. A shitty attitude will always trump talent and ability. It's a shame but, such is life I guess.

7. I would be real interested in what the bottom line is ( $$$$$ ) on one of your fab'ed up automatic shifters. I've learned awhile ago that although i can make it , a lot of times it just makes more sense and dollar sense to buy said part. Sometimes you've got to swallow your pride and use your head to stay on budget. That's my $.002 and I'll stay away from all the different labels used on non-traditional rides. It really serves no good purpose.

8. The sad thing about this is those guys bought Gennie from the original owner/designer, who had a real nice product and ran a good little company. He worked out of his house and you could even swing by to pick up something.
    Hopefully these fools will sell it to someone who really cares about Hot Rodding and it will survive.
    As for Sezar - why is it OK to buy and install a Hurst for a Richmond tranny but not a Gennie for an automatic? Especially when you then contradict yourself and say you do buy them. W T F

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Don't they have the pregnant gal in their ads?

10. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Good product that was way over-priced in my opinion. Could this have been one of the problems in the collapse ?

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

someone please explain to me wtf is a "soft rod"?:confused::eek:

12. Abomination

Abomination

Take this to get rid of that problem:

[​IMG]

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

haahah thanks ..dont have that problem,,, thats why i just didnt get wtf he ment by "soft rod" who really uses terms like that when talking about cars?

14. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

The management is most likely and secretly moving all the tooling to China to make it over there. Then everyone can buy them in WAL MART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  15. 49coupe

49coupe

From reading the posts, it sounds like the bank and suppliers pulled the plug. I'm going through the same thing with a client. Goes something like this:

- soft economy and a few bad business decisions put company in the red.
    - bank spooks; pulls back line of credit and loans, increases the interest rate.
    - due to lack of cash flow from higher interest costs, lower LOC and operations, payables drift to 120 days.
    - suppliers get nervous and demand full payment prior to shipping anything
    - no supplies, no inventory = no sales.
    - RIP

16. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

"bolt on guys", "streetrodder types", "softer ride's" Shut the F**K UP! Read the board for a while and listen...don't speak.

I have one in my 32 and it works great. To bad if they are done.
    DD

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

dude you are so hypocritical, bolt on guys? then you claim to use hurst shifters on manuals, about this point just shut the fuck up already... :eek:

18. mike bourg

mike bourg

I talked to my source at gennie and they are not going under, they are having supplier problems, like everyone else. and it is a very good source of info. if you want more info pm me. i won`t put everything in public.....

Mike Bourg

19. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I call shenanigans on your source. My source says its fucked up over there. By chance did you listen to the radio clip at the beginning of the thread? Wouldn't you change suppliers before hanging your customers out to dry for 6 months or better?

20. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Maybe the employees aren,t the only ones not getting paid.

RIP ED

21. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

Sorry.....didn't mean to offend......I'll shut the fuck up and just keep building.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats ok just dont bolt anything on..they have glue for that now..:D

23. guess the workers/suppliers are'nt the only ones getting F*cked at their place :rolleyes:

24. just talked to a shop owner here abouts and he said Jim from ROD BODS repoed the body deal a while back............

25. You lack the back story where Todd is a rich brat/trustafarian that has already fucked several folks in the HAMB circle as employees that are in high standing here. Aint anything to do with the economy, just a jackass that thinks he knows it all.

26. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

The preggy girl is in the Egge ads. She is Melinda Walden.

27. Yikes, seems like these folks have earned themselves some bad karma among the denver rodding contingent. Damn shame, too, as they have a nice showroom at 8th and Kalamath. It's a cool place to have a walk around. Guess I'll just have to continue to do my buying over the internet.

28. What a jackass.

29. OCTANE ORPHAN

OCTANE ORPHAN
    from Ohio

I am a former Streamline employee........ Bottom line, Gennie shifters are the best Auto shifters for traditional style cars period.... Hope They get things worked out, if not, we will all have resort to billet knobs and push buttons. i hope Todd gets Gennie shifter back in working order.. there shifters are the best.

30. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Henry,Do they owe you any money or is that just Tony?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.