Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod CAD Work :D

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drjones96, Aug 31, 2010.

1. I been dusting off my CAD skills at work and decided to see if I could make a 32 frame rail drawing. This is just a surface drawing. I'm still working with it. Will be adding more details later. It's mostly dimensionally correct (based off of a PDF I found on Wescotts website).

Does anyone else do stuff like this?

Attached Files:

2. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

3. sawzall

sawzall

neat..

I love this stuff..

now.. if we just had a big old 3d printer to manufacture it..

4. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I work at a college and I plot this stuff out for garage art. That and old drag photos...

Vance

5. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I've pretty much built my entire car in AutoCAD. Most valuable tool at my disposal.

Attached Files:

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I render almost every complicated assembly that I make. Time and materiel are too costly to waste on human errors.

7. sawzall

sawzall

render with what software?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. I used to use AutoCAD and was really good at it but started using CATIA. I'm not as good at CATIA but you can do some cool stuff with it. I'm planning to do my next project front to back in CATIA. This was a warmer-upper to help develop some surfacing skills.

10. oldtin

oldtin

I have posted these before, but here is some of the cad models I have put together in the past. These are quick and dirty Unigraphics models.

Attached Files:

11. That's cool, oldtin!

12. I use Alibre' to do similar.

Chassis guy builds chassis:

Stock Model A with simple tube crossmember
    [​IMG]

Custom Model A
    [​IMG]

1938 Cadillac
    [​IMG]

1955 Chevy
    [​IMG]

1956 Corvette
    [​IMG]

Tools too!

Hammer
    [​IMG]

13. The moment you think you have CAD licked, check this guy out. www.dbbp.com he does bikes in ProE and has some really high end photo rendering software!

[​IMG]

14. El Polacko ,I use Alibre expert at work It is pretty good software.Much easier to use then inventor. Down loaded the trial version after seeing some things you had done with it. Guys you can go to Alibre.com and get free down load of there 3D package it does not have all the bells and whistle of the purchased software but works good.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  15. Absolutely! I have Expert as well with a few add-ons that I really don't use.

www.alibre.com

Tell them Steve from Industrial Chassis sent you!

16. That's good work Elpolacko!

17. fordpopular

fordpopular

I Use 3D Studio Max to create and render models. it is possible to import cad drawings to use as a base.. here is an Anglia I am working on at the moment

Attached Files:

• pop2.jpg
      pop2.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
  18. That type of program is pretty interesting for concept work. How long did it take you to render the Pop?

Just for reference, I have about three hours in drawing the stock Model A and tube crossmember in the first picture I posted.

Side note, did you see that Autodesk released a Mac version of AutCAD: http://gizmodo.com/5626272/autocad-coming-back-to-apple-after-18-years

Solidworks, ProE and even Alibre' have taken a solid foothold in the solid modeling/engineering segment. I wonder how this will be accepted.

19. Hey ELpolacko you beat me to it! I was going to mention the guys at DBBP its all bike stuff but amazing work! I often go to there site to day dream! LOL!

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Elpolacko any chance you could send me the stock model A frame file? Im just about to start mocking my frame up in solidworks, its been years since Ive done any 3d cad work (since college) and I want to dust off my skills and plan out a build. Having that as a starting point would be big help, if you could, send it to [email protected]

21. Sure, got any files you want to trade?

I could use engine, trans, spindles or frame rails.

What file type would you want it in, .stl , .x_t , .stp , .sldasm

22. oj

oj

I think there was a 'share library' somebody set up on here. I'd like a copy of the 'a' frame too polacko.
    There is another site 'hotrodcad' i believe, that guy is on here and he offers blueprints, suspensions etc in hard copy but for cad guys he'll offer his files as long as you are commercially responsible. His fees were modest.
    I started to learn inventer and have gotten away from it but i need to get back on it as i want to make a modified and it would be best to do it on paper first - the key to doing one of them is simplicity.

23. oldtin

oldtin

If you guys don't mind sharing, you could post up and take from the pool that was started back with the cad small block files @ http://www.netquickposse.org/hamb/
    contact "Keep" as he is the one that hosts the files @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=55941
    Some of the stuff I have done are there, and many others have contributed.
    This also keeps people from constantly asking for the same files (if they read the thread).

24. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Can any of you convert that step Hemi File in the link just above my post? Convert it from Step to dwg?

I would love to see what it is, but only have Autocad.

25. I did some 3D stuff while I was still in school. No one wanted any done when I went to work so I'm a little rusty.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

26. I tried to open it with CATIA and failed. It opens but can't see anything. I'm thinking I may have messed up somehow.

27. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Wow all this 3D stuff is kicking the shit out of my 2D work! I've only got about 6 months of time with SolidWorks and still have a long ways to go.

28. slik

slik

I work in both Solidworks and Unigraphics. I have designed cars, bikes, motorcycles, custom watches and other misc. parts for cars for other local guys. I have been designing for 20 years. I will try to find some pics on my other computer and upload them. you can check out a couple pics on my site at www.slikmetalfabrication.com

29. fordpopular

fordpopular

there is a free step file viewer called cadfaster quickstep the hemi looks nice only problem is its only a viewer cant export the file as something more usefull

Attached Files:

• hemi.jpg
      hemi.jpg
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
  30. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Wonder if that is a 392 or what. I could always just use my own block for mock up, but just wanted something close to correct so I could lay out the chassis as my 392 is not in my shop at this time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010