Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Could be Tommy but it is much smaller than a tube kit.The bottom will only hold 12 1/4 pint cans(only one row high)and the divisions in the trays were small as well;maybe 1 1/2" wide by 5"deep.Nevertheless it is a nice little box to use for a travel kit.

2. dans garage

dans garage

this was my great grandfathers box he had a body shop in milwaukee. it is from the early 30's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Badger, this is the winner for me, never do a thing to this box, never clean it or anything. I can't tell what type of wood she is, possibly a subspecies of a Birch or hard Maple, that box is absolutely gorgeous. The pulls on it are extremely hard to locate, they re pop them but it just is not the same.
    I built a box very similar to this for a guy about 10 years ago using a rift cut Sycamore, she had waxed guides, brass handles, Maple drawer bottoms, and iron caster feet. I lined the drawer bottoms with Doe skin. I hand dove tailed all of the drawers. I had about 150 hours into it, it took me about 30 hours ad 6 months of aging technique to achieve the patina that yours has. I sold that box for $3000.00, it was commissioned by a gentleman who collected antique bronze micro meters.
    Cherish yours it's real.
    Here is something to consider for some of you guys who are ashes to ashes and dust to dust and not going to be laid to rest in the earth, I have what is called a forever box that I made. It's a tool box / memory box that I made from special woods. Black walnut from the playboy mansion, some Ebony that is 100 years old, some Rosewood reclaimed from the home of a British Governor in imperial India, circa 1850, a very small and precious piece of Lebanese Redwood about 100 years old. I made this small custom toolbox for all of the future generations to hold all my cool little items, I still need a few more special bits to facet the thing in a classy way, I'll show you when it's complete. Not many of us think of this, I never really realized the significance till I saw a loved ones box, I wish I had known, I would have made something special.

4. This box just needs some plain, white block lettering on the side that says "BOMB SQUAD". :eek:

Instant, portable respect! You'll never have to wait in line for anything ever again. :D

5. mjacoby321

mjacoby321
    from alabama

Love the vintage toolbox! I never had one though but I was in awe as I saw these pics...

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Very wierd; I just found the exact same box and I paid $35 for mine too. I have a large collection of pre-war Gerstner machinist boxes and these little things are on par with them in terms of how well made they are.

Hey, on another note; I still want those ACME suitcases and toolboxes. Send me a PM and let me know if you have them still.

John

7. I cannot seem to stop finding these little gems.I know it's an addiction but I can stop ANYTIME!Yeah Sure!
    Anyway I had to drive to a guy's house today to add some more lettering to his race car and stripe his wife's new Hyundai.After that as I was only a couple of miles from my favorite antique shop I decided to take a run over.
    Unfortunately they had nothing new but as I was leaving I noticed a place across the street that is very rarely open had it's lights on.
    Took a stroll over to check things out and find an old Craftsman tool box that looked to be in pretty good shape.Open it up to check out the inside and it is full of tools!Do a quick inventory and they are all vintage Craftsman(with a logo I'm not familiar with)except for a couple pieces.
    Tried to haggle the price but the woman wouldn't budge(hadn't been out long enough)so I paid what she was asking.
    Got it home and did some cleaning and inventory.Craftsman H sockets ranging from 7/32(quarter inch drive)all the way to 1 1/8(half inch drive);2 ratchets(3/8 and 1/2 inch drive);2 speed handles(3/8 and 1/2 inch drive)3 breaker bars(1/4,3/8,and 1/2);3 T handles;6 extensions(2 each of 1/4,3/8/and 1/2);an early Snap-On 3/8 universal;and some miscellaneous newer sockets.The only bad socket was a cracked 15/16;the rest were near new.
    The box is in excellent shape with a lot of it's original brown wrinkle paint still intact and no dents.
    After some research I determined that this stamping was used by Craftsman starting in 1934 and running til about 1947.A great set and a great price($60 plus tax).Here are some pictures.

Attached Files:

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

This does not compute!

jack vines

9. Sure it does;he buys her a shitbox and she stays out of his toy box!Makes sense to me.:D

10. lewisaric

lewisaric
    from tupelo,ms

I have a MAC MB910/MB920 combo that my grandpa gave me a few years ago. He bought it back in the 80`s. I found two side boxes that Im trying to talk a guy into selling me. If I get those this box will be awsome. I plan on restoring it the winter, just dont know what color I will paint it. Ill post some pics up in the next couple of days.

11. Ummm, well, it is an "antique" shop so they technically shouldn't have had anything new! :D

Sorry, that was just too easy to pass up and the funniest thing I've read so far this morning. :rolleyes:

The Craftsman logo on the tools themselves is a new one on me. But the nameplate on the toolbox I've seen before and that one's in great condition. That style of plate always looks good on their old drill presses and circular saws too. :cool:

12. willy3486

willy3486
    from tennessee

I have a old tool wiring caddy I got about 25 years ago when I bought some stuff from a old radio shop. I worked on radios at the time. Its in great condition and looks worse than it really is in the photos. Most of the stuff that looks like rust is actually dirt and grease. It was a Packard wiring caddy. I used it some but put it up because it is so old now. I have never seen another around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  13. Satinblack

Satinblack

Just picked up this 1931-39 vintage Snap-On K5 toolbox at yard sale this past Saturday for $10
    [​IMG]

I got this old craftsman a while ago at a yard sale too, cant rememeber how much. I have several 40's craftsmans too. Cool thread
    [​IMG]

14. Ya got me on that one Clay;I REALLY have to watch what I say from now on:D.

Doing some research I found that the logo(a large C underlining the rest of the name)was first used in 1934 and phased out around 1947.Prior to that the logo was strictly block letters.The logo then went back to the block letters but was surrounded by two horizontal lines on either side(much like an = sign)and that eventually incorporated the V between the logo and Made in USA.It was generally conceded that Craftsman tools were made by New Britian Tool Co.in Connecticut.There are pictures on the site of comparison tools from NB and they are virtually identical.
    I don't recall the name of the site but I've used it before to date old Duro and Indestro tools.Great info there.EDIT:The site is called,"Alloy Artifacts"

As for that Packard kit;Packard was a highly used maker of ignition wires in the 50's and before.Everyone wanted to use Packard 440 wires for ignition cables as they were considered the best.I don't know if they had any affiliation with the Packard Motor Car Co.but the logo sure looks the same.A very nice and rare piece by the way.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  15. rightcoast

rightcoast
    from palermo ny

love all pics of boxes and stories.. here is my wall of shame...messy , well will post as soon as I figure out how

16. selohssa

selohssa

This was a recent purchase. I needed the vintage alignment tools that came with it. I was going to spray bomb the drawers black again for resale but all I had was silver. I like the way that it looked.

2985b8_20.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

17. ^that looks good!

18. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Do not know anything about mine. Anyone who knows some thing, let me know. Thanks

Attached Files:

19. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Looks like mine. Is from the early 70's.
    [​IMG]

20. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Wish I had the bottom.

21. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

I have several of the types of tool boxes already shown, especially the Plomb brand as I collect those. My old Kennedy was my Dad's when he worked at Douglas, so it is a 1939-1941 vintage. I probably have about forty 1/4" drive sets of various manufacturers, all in metal tool boxes. I have several Plomb and Proto tool boxes, and over 10 floor mounted/stacked tool boxes. I have complete tool sets from 1/4" drive up through 1" drive.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Attached Files:

22. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

Here's a few more that didn't fit into the last post. B/T/W, most of the boxes are overflowing with tools.

Attached Files:

23. selohssa

selohssa

That is a SH*T load of Plomb in there. All I ever find are single wrenches and sockets (Of course I am up in Canada). Looks Great.

24. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

I have over 2000 pieces of Plomb tools, including duplicates. My Dad was a tool designer there in the 1940's, but I only got a few pieces from him.

25. dirtybirdy

dirtybirdy

any one buying these I have 2 or 3 up in my rafters of my garage? Just curious, Ill dig them down and get pictures if someone is interested...

chris

26. selohssa

selohssa

Another recent aquisition. Same as the last one. They must have been a good seller around here. Bought it from an estate sale with all of the tools in it.

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

27. machinistchest

machinistchest
    from N.Texas

This is an early 1900`s Union Chest Works Rochester NY. single tray cantilever utility chest. The company (Union) was founded in 1893, it was liquidated in 1973. Enjoy ...MC

Attached Files:

28. cozee

cozee

These are the one's I have at work. Not old but mine just the same. MATCO cart and Snap-On box/side box . . .

[​IMG]

In the garage here at home. The MATCO/MAC box (center box is a Waterloo roller) is a late 60's-early 70"s set. The other is a newer Craftsman with a home made side box . . . .

[​IMG]

Here is the old Craftsman set I have in the basement along with the Snap-On center boxes. The machinist box is an old wooden unit I keep my Craftsman lathe parts and accessories in . . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

Does anyone know anything about Owatonna's tool boxes. I have one from the 40's with a Huot bottom.