Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted fixed position hubcaps!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

This seems like a cool low buck trick that would have been really cool & popular back in the day. And you all know how trends come & go & then come back again..so it is only a matter of time before we start seeing this OLD SKOOL trick start showing back up at car shows & cruise nights.

2. That would be reason enough to NOT do em! That and the fact they are rather gay.

If I come across it, I have 2-3000 magazines to sort through.

3. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Malarky...those are interesting...looks like they are using a more modern method...i do prefer traditional low buck methods (And when i say low buck..i dont mean cheap..i mean more traditional do it your self at home kind..lol) I mean..after all its about getting out in your garage and turning wrenches & haveing fun..Not much fun if i Just buy parts & bolt them on...lol. you know what i mean.

4. Malarky

Malarky

Yea, I totally agree, but you see there how they do it. Thats just one more idea to base your own design off of.

5. The front caps on this Buick prototype are designed to keep the scoop forward

Attached Files:

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

those are some cool looking caps..I think they would look good on a shoebox

7. Close up shot

Attached Files:

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

i am curious as to how they attached them on to the buick back then.

9. dust cover

10. 61TBird

61TBird

Why go about it the "hard way"???

Drill and tap the center of the spindle as straight as possible.
    Remove ALL the tabs that would normally hold the 'cap on.
    Cut the 'cap down so nothing extends past the edge if the tab removal isn't enough.
    Drill a hole in the center of the 'cap
    Then cut a piece of all-thread so it keeps the cap at least 1/4" away from the Wheel.
    Now you'll need to use 2 washers(inside and outside) and a Center Cap/Cone/Trophy Topper/Whatever that's also threaded to screw the cap onto the end of the all-thread.

Enjoy the Looks,Compliments and Thumbs Up.

11. Malarky

Malarky

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

malarky..that is a cool video & shows exactly what im talking about.

13. VooDoo Larry's caps don't move when the car moves...I think this is what your talkin about. This is my favorite "new" kustom. You should see this car throw fire...
    Car's name is "VooDoo Idol"
    46' Ford Coupe

Attached Files:

14. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

16. noboD

noboD

I forgot about the Buick. Everything about that car is cool.

17. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

Put a set on my 1946 chopped buick called first blood years back. Had a picture of rambo on it. At the time it went over real good. What ever turns you on , it your car go for it. Double nut your spindle and attach your cap brackett to this nut.do not weld on spindle

18. duke182

duke182

the first set i ever saw was at a KKOA event in texas years ago. the event was close to halloween so the owner painted the discs like a jack-o-lantern and put them on his orange car.

funny thing about this trick, it like many things doesnt seem "traditional" upon first glance but given enough scrutiny, it turns out its just another idea from the past that has raised its head again.
    if traditional only means that everybody or most everybody did it, then whats the point.
    i thought the point ws to do things different, hopefully better, than the next guy who is driving something stock or nearly stock. while giving a nod to the creations of the past but not explicitly copying someone elses car.
    just more of my off kilter thinking.
    enjoy the ride, if not , sell it.

19. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Never mind he found it haha.

20. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

21. No, but it should.

Pretty popular with the low rider crowd at one time. I don't know about now but back in the '90s it was real popular with the low rider crowd. I don't doubt that someone did it "back in the day" but I doubt it was very common place. No one actually does anything new just a different twist on what has already been done.

22. I think there's a tech article for this on Manilla Jeepney Journal.