Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bill Thomas CKC/Nova A/FX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wisenheimer, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer

I have been reading up on the 3 Bill Thomas cars and it is neat to see that the CKC/Bill Thomas car was found in the Denver area in the late 1980's and has been in storage and will be getting restored soon. I was lucky to have seen the Allan Green Nova race in it's earlier green colour and also when the car was with it's second owner this time in yellow, also got to see their road race Cheetah a couple of times. This photo's show how the fiberglass roof panel blended in to the quarters and occupied the trunk area as well, neat stuff.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. I always wondered what happened to it. Nice to see someone saved it...

Deuces likes this.
  3. noboD

noboD

Thanks for the pics. There was a yellow altered wheelbase '66 Chevelle body at Hershey many years ago for sale. You could see where they grafted the fiberglass to the steel. It had poor original paint on it, but I can't remember the name of the car. It may have been Seeton's Shaker, it's too early I can't think.

4. turdytoo

turdytoo

When I was a kid I joined the Air Guard. When I went to basic training Diane Edmundson droppped a line in "Drag News" about my being in San Antonio. A tech sarg whose wife wrote for "Drag News" came by one weekend and ask me if I would like to go meet some of the local racers and of course I was all for it shaved head and all. We went to CKC and here's the story I was told, as I remember it. Dickie Harrell had broken a motor on tour and the boys a CKC loaned him one. When Chevrolet shut down the program they told Bill Thomas to get rid of "Bad Bascom" ( the Nova). Thomas called Harrell who didn't want it but passed the word to CKC and told Thomas to sell it to them because they had helped him out. The deal was made and when it came in on the train, they drove it to their shop. They did away with the Corvette rear end and when they blew the "Mystery" motor they were putting one of those new 396 motors in it. This was around January 1966. Last I saw of any of them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. I think you are thinking of Maynard Rupp's "Chevoom" mid-engine Chevelle. It is currently in unrestored condition and in the Gettysburg area.

Great photos of the Chevy II. I'm glad to see it has been saved. I believe there were 4 of these built originally for road racing. Huston Platt had one also. Can't wait to see it restored.

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

7. turdytoo

turdytoo

I can't help but wonder if Houston Platts was the same car CKC had and was it the one in the big wreck that killed those people down in Georgia. Any one know?

8. brandon

brandon

there is a good post on these cars at www.yenko.com the supercar registery site.... cool pics....answers a couple questions i've had .....:D thanks brandon:D

9. Terry

Terry

My brain has fallen asleep... Wasn't Bill thomas the mechanic for Dickie Harold? Or was it someone else he worked for?

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Thats awesome....When i 1st signed up on here i did a post on these cause my favorite was the Texan Twister....I was never able to get the info i wanted cause my father & I were going to attempt 'cloning' one using a Marlin roof but we never did it....I never realized it was a fiberglass roof until the recent article in Hot Rod...I cant wait to see this car done!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. brandon

brandon

anyone know where the alan green car ended up ....was for sale along with the 63 z11 big body a couple years back....on the yenko site there is a section on bill thomas.....brandon:D

12. brandon

brandon

pretty clear to see the change in the car from the beginning ....stock wheelbase...with deep offset rear wheels to altered wheelbase and deep backspace wheels....i have a picture somewhere on my computer of the car when it was yellow...not quite sure where i have it stashed...:rolleyes: brandon :D

13. noboD

noboD

You are right, it was Chevoom. Thanks for the info.

14. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I pulled these pics from Flyer a nova nut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

16. way cool pics yall nothin like old drag car pics to get ya all jazzed up.. thankz

17. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Olld drag cars are cool. Saw the Nova race at Seattle International Raceway in the midd 60's when Allen Green owned it. Don't remember who was driving it, but the car was awesome for the time. Ddoes anyone from the lPacific Northwest remember or have any pictures of a Mustang coupe called Colt 45. It was an altered wheelbase car with an injected SBF?

18. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

ALLWAYS LOVED THE FASTBACK CHEVY IIs

19. Falconred

Falconred

Platts car was a different one, there were three built originally. The car that was involved in the wreck was a Camaro (I was there). I had the pleasure of seeing one of these novas in a shop in Chamblee, GA in '64 or so that was being prepped for paint, I have often wondered if that was the Platt Nova. I didn't know that Platt had one at the time because the last time I had seen him run he still had the "Dixie Twister" '63 Z-11.

20. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

21. Falconred

Falconred

Here is a couple of photos of the Platt car. Sorry but I do not list the photographer to give credit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Always dug those fastback novas too. A few moons ago there was a mag called national nostalgic nova I used to subscribe to had many of those fastbacks in one issue. Gonna have to dig 'em out again to scratch that itch. Thanks for sharing those.

23. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

My 11 year old son has ben going racing with me and he is ready it build a car and I am thinking fastback chevy II . Could be fun

Attached Files:

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

which one is this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    Deuces likes this.
  25. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

no . . . .

26. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...wonder what a Marlin roof would look like graphed to a Nova body?....

27. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Sedgefield? When i google that word in come up with England and South Africa and most likely North Carolina. I'd say it's the Platt car.

28. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Wrong!!! This car was bought by my friends dad ( He still has the car) back in 63' from Bill Thomas. This was a dirt track car & road race car from day 1. Where did you get this pic?

29. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I know I'm kinda jacking this thread but this my next project...
    [​IMG]

30. noboD

noboD

The REAL question is where are the other pics of this car? Let's see it in road race and dirt track trim.