Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted fixed position hubcaps!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I met this guy back in 98 when I was in autobody class..This guy had a nice custom 64 impala. He had a tone of cool custom body mods done to this car..but the trickest thing he had done to his car was the front moon disks. He had them painted to match the car..a turquois paint job with white scalops..when he drove down the road the moon discks did not move..the scalops stayed in one position..he had welded a rod to the end of the spindle that attacked to the back center of the moon disk..there was only about an 1/8 of a inch gab between the wheel & the disk.
    He had a C.B. in his car and loved to listen to people try and figer out how the disks didnt move while he was driving down the road. he said you should here some of the crazy reasons people gave for the disk not moveing.
    Have any of you ever seen this custom trick done before..I would love to see some pics of other cars done with this treatment & would even like to see a how to article on this as well. thanks guys

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've seen many an old lowrider with that trick...

3. Qparker

Qparker

I saw one like that, he put them on with bearings and a weight on the bottom, but if he took off fast or hit the breaks hard they'd look like spinners...

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

i havent seen anyone else do this trick since him..i havent seen anyone with them on here either.

5. TJratz

TJratz

I believe Voodoo Larry's "Voodoo Idol" has a similar treatment...

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's cuz they're not very "traditional"...

R-

7. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

There are are a lot of things i have seen on here that are not "traditional"

airbags, hydrolics, extreme chops, power steering, IFS etc etc..hasnt stopped people from postin pics of those items..lol

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

Good comeback......:)

9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

lol..thanks hemifarris. I do think it is a neat looking trick & would look damn good on a slammed shoebox or a chopped caddy..It does seem to be a trick geared towards low riders. low & smooth..thats what low riders are about and the fixed painted hub cap is a smooth look

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

they are traditional old lowrider bomb stuff. :D

11. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Sooooo...does anyone have any pics of this trick done to there ride..or someone else's?

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Just because there are lots of things here that are not trad, doesn't mean that little "trick" is going to be shown or discussed here... I wouldn't own up to it.

R-

13. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I didnt ask if you would do this to one of your rides or if you would own up to doing it..I on the other hand would do this to one of my rides & would realy like to see some pics of other cars this has been done to & some tech articles on this. I am sure there are other people out there who would also like to see this as well..If you dont like this that is your opinion.

14. retromotors

retromotors

Don't let 'em getcha down, Bubba.
    Truly bad taste never goes out of style!

15. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

take more than that to get me down..as long as i have my orange shag carpet i can make it thru anything..lol:D

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm pretty sure there had to be some of those crazy customs from the 60's that used the trick as well.

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

It was also a dealer-installed option on '69 Six Pack Road Runners and Super Bees. The Plymouth had the Warner Brother's cartoon road runner in full stretched-out hauling ass mode, the Dodge had a white Stetson hat to go with their "Dodge Guys are the Good Guys" ad campaign of the time. (A lot of Dodge drivers drove around with white Stetsons on the rear package tray, and you'll still see one at Mopar shows every now and then). The end of the spindle was drilled and tapped, and a small bracket came out of it; a counter-sunk allen screw held the disc to the bracket.

Now, I know my reply wasn't about "traditional" hot rodding, and might have even veered off into "Off Topic Territory," so I hope the "Trad Police" will let me off with a warning this time, if I promise not to pollute the board with any more "Non-Trad, Off Topic" information in the future.

Or, better yet, maybe the "trad police" will go stab themselves in the eye with a traditional ice pick.

-Brad

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Brad54..thanks for the info..I did not know that about the road runners or super bees. that is pretty cool. Im going to see if i can find some pics of one of those to post on here.

19. Gerg

Gerg

I thought i saw this on a cab before over in vegas that was over 10 years ago i could be wrong...

20. New Rolls Royce Phantoms have the "RR" emblems counterweighted in the wheels so they never spin around as well. So I guess all the Middle Eastern oil sheiks are riding around in cars inspired by your Moon Disk guy.

21. I have a tech piece in one of my old magazines about it. Late 50s I think?

22. noboD

noboD

Posie's Extremeliner had them too.

23. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

If there is any way you could scan & post some of those old tech piece that would be great!

24. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

here is a pic of the extremliner..Ill see if i can find some build pics of how they mouted there hubcaps & I am still looking for pics of some rides with this done to them.

Attached Files:

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This is a little OT, but related... I have seen pics of several early '50s roadsters with cycle fender brackets mounted to the end of the spindle like that too.

26. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

San Diego, Late 50's early 60's the woodpecker was the most popular decal on the moon disc's in a fixed position, about as traditional as you can get.

27. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

1950s I first seen the spindle disc around 1954 on service station pickup trucks as promotional trick. San Jose ca.

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

sounds pretty traditional to me..god i wish I could find some pics of these rides.

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

These fixed moon disks are sounding more & more traditional to me.

30. Malarky

Malarky