Register now to get rid of these ads!

My turn...New flavor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Payaso, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Payaso

Payaso

What's Up Folks...just a few pics of some of the stuff I've been gathering for the Willys...

First and foremost...an incredible, complete, Ford 9"...F'n Score!!! The guy I got this axle from is one of the Coolest Cats I've ever met...as long as guys like him are around, so to will be Traditional Hot Rod'n!!! Thanks Man!!
    [​IMG]

Some Big Ole' 8" headys...Need Lenses, not sure what they're off of...THANKS A TON Slamit!!!! You The Man!!! You're right...Brains will melt!!
    [​IMG]

The Kickass 3 spd HURST circa '67...or so I'm told...either way, it's Badass!!
    [​IMG]

more to come...

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

so the 18th then? for the chop? i'll bring some "chopping fluid"..

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, There are some 4x4 guys here in the valley who would arm wrestle you for a cab that nice. Most of them around here are beat to death.

There is a chopped Blue Jeep wagon here in the North West ( I saw it at Vintiques a couple of weeks ago) that is a really slick little ride that I have liked for years.

4. Payaso

Payaso

6volt Battery and Braided cable...Score!! Thanks a TON Shooter!!! I've already started building a kickass battery box at work out of Stainless...Top Secret until it's done...:rolleyes:. Steering wheel out of a '61 Apache, got the column and pedal assembly as well!! Score!!
    [​IMG]

Ahhhh...the 235ci...time for a close up. I've started to pull parts, blast'em, and hit'em with some High Gloss Black...The whole will get this treatmeant...
    [​IMG]

one more thing...the Creme de la Creme...the piece I debated showing everyone...but I couldn't resist!! Wait for it...

5. Payaso

Payaso

So a Model A Grill would have been too small...a Willys Jeep grill was out of the question...so...my buddy said, "Hey, give this thing a shot?"

1938 Willys Coupe Hood...some work will need to be done to get it on...but it'll be well worth it!!!

[​IMG]

Till Next time!!!

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

shit dude... whoa.

7. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

And the Plot thinkens!!!!!!!!!!!!! now we need the Power of the HAMB to help us with a front end set up. then We will be chassis building fool's.
    This is coming together quite nicely homeboy!

8. skoh73

skoh73

This looks like fun- subscribed!

9. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

Dude, this thing is going to be awsome! give me a call when you ready to chop it.

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Love your choices so far...that thing is gonna be great!!

11. Payaso

Payaso

Had a good day of planning and prepping the Willys yesterday...Pulled the windows out and did some BS'n on cut'n this bad boy in a few weeks...I'm going to grind the paint in the cut zones down to bare steel. Brace the inside and get the cab itself on some casters so it's easier to dance with...
    [​IMG]

Then I was asking around at work about a small bench seat for the project...someone mentioned they had a small bench seat in the shed at home, I got a hold of it...Free...Slamit grabbed some pliers and tore the seat cover and foam off. We set it inside the cab, and HOLY SHIT!!!! It fit so well...it was creepy! It is Perfect!!! May be hard to tell, but the seat frame sets perfectly on the raised floor base...seriously...it was made for this thing!!!
    [​IMG]

Soooooo...We chop in a few weeks!!

Till then...

12. belair

belair

Cool pick up. Ilike those Buick tail lights.

13. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks...you nailed it...many people notice them, but are never really sure of what they are...1951 Buick to be exact. Original Guides.

14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

WTF!?!?! Awesome. Mock up.....MOCK UP!!!! I think it could look so choice. :)

15. Payaso

Payaso

Here is a quick mock with the hood...we set there just long enough to take this picture...then set it in the backyard. I'll need to add some pie peices to widen it, and do some body work on it...but along with the chop...this thing is going to be awesome!!!

[​IMG]

16. Mockie

Mockie

lookin wicked so far bro

17. So, the theme of your rat rod will that it was cheap to build? No idea of what it will look like until you are given the next part? I swear, you sound like homeless dudes, fixing up a stolen shopping cart. Biggest part of the budget is booze? Seriously???

18. Payaso

Payaso

Ahhhhh...it was bound to happen...The Rat Rod reference!! Well, Phil...on the basis that we do not know each other...I'll be tactful. First off, because of ones lack of imagination (not me)...one could mistaken my project as a Rat Rod. Unfortunately, that still curses the Lifestyle to this day. I know what this thing is going to look like...It's in my head and on paper. To cast judegment on me and my budget is not cool...The First Hot Rodders did just as you Described...They gathered parts from all over, built incredible cars and drove the living shit of out of them. That's what I plan on doing...

I don't know why you got to me so bad...but I will have YOU know...when my Willys (Your "Rat Rod") is done...I'd Love to see your face when you see it for the first time...

So Be Prepared.

and yes...BEER will be involved...and aint ashamed to say it!

FOOD. SWEAT. BEER.

19. Hey! I'd like to see the concept sketch and be proved wrong. Your story seemed to be about a jumble of free stuff. It's not impossible that you could turn out something cool. But, you sounded, to me, like you are piling found stuff up as you find it. If the cab and Willys hood inspired a dream, I'd like to see more of that. The story you're telling needs more Hot Rod and less "Boy! I got it cheap!".

I like beer too. But, sometimes it makes me see an air cleaner in a toaster. In the morning, it's still a toaster and the air cleaner idea was a barley pop dream...

20. Payaso

Payaso

It is, for the most part, a "jumble of free stuff"...You don't get it do you? Not everything has to be bought...for a long time parts were sourced without the internet...the stories I hear from a lot of the Old Timers I BS with...tell me time and time again...The "Community of Rodder" helped each other out...everyone became a part of the build. Part by part. Each time someone contributed a part...the closer that project would come to life. I'm honored to have a bunch of great friends that are involved. Many of them have posted here on this thread. If you're a 'Click & Buy' builder...Great. I'm not. I can't afford that. I'm a Structral Welder and some of my parts are "deals" made for some welding on the next guys Project.

Again...just like you said, too many have forgotten what Hot Rods were about...Hot Rods and "Boy I got it cheap" you'st to be the way shit was built... Hines, Winfield, Barris, Roth...didn't start out with a Big Ole' Fat wallet...just an Imagination and some friends...Look into it!

DONE.

For the rest of you interested...The front end is the next to be sourced! There is a local guy that has a secret "Grave yard" he get's his stuff from. I'm going to check it out in the next couple of weeks...Then the frame is going to be built!! Got all sorts of ideas kicking around for that thing!!

till next time...

21. Yeah Phil, you should check the history of the lifestyle before you start mouthing off at people. :rolleyes:

Jeep cab = box

38 Willys nose = egg

box+egg= ?

22. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

ha. chili phil, you crack me up man. you take yourself to fucking seriously. go start a pissing contest somewhere else. dude just wanted to build something different, and on a budget. if he starts putting road signs on the floor, spider webs and iron crosses all over it and shit, then go ahead and drop the broad generalization. until then, piss off. dude's got some serious welding and fab talent-just cuz he didn't choose to build a model a coupe doesn't mean he's building a rat rod.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  23. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

that thing has loads of potential!! i love the hood!! i wouldn't make the wheel base to long. from your mockup pic its going to have a mean look!!!

24. This is the new HAMB. sigh...

If you can't see that "Traditional Hot Rod" doesn't mean a chopped Jeep cab, mated with an early Willys hood, with a stock 235 engine, we have little to talk about. If you're a good welder, do something worthwhile.

Now I'm going to piss some folks here off. So be it. You can't come at this traditional car deal from the mini truck or VW hobby and bring those ideas with you. We religiously reference hot rod and custom books because he love that era. Many of us are not far from the restorers mindset. We love that short part of history because the cars look RIGHT. What you are doing is a New Flavor, alright. But it tastes like 2010. I don't come here for today's current fad. I come here to see the beautiful cars being built, right now, today. In the traditional style. I don't see why you young guys that don't respect and like that stuff want to come here and try to foist that rat rod crap on us. There are a gazzillion sites for that. You'll be heros on killbillit or olskoolrodz.

Or, like I said. Show a sketch of how that is a HAMB car.

PS, all my old time car guy pals know what a HAMB style car is. It looks like it was in the background shots in a 1958 Rod & Custom. Don't piss in our sand box.

25. rick finch

rick finch

Here, here Phil...this build has NOTHING to do with traditional hot rods. (Yup, just like we used to do it.):rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  26. Payaso

Payaso

Thanks SMOKE...the tire was slapped in the pic at the last minute...way too long looking. Total wheelbase I'm shooting for will be 120"-125" hub center to center. The hood will most likely get a couple of inches taken out of the middle left to right, then widened nose to cowl to match the cab width. The hood radius and cab radius are almost spot on so I just have to get it wide enough.

Hey Shooter...:D

27. Here here Phil from me as well.

28. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

Yaya nagnag, Is no such thing as a HAMB style car. A hot rod can be anything it owner wants it to be, so what if its a Willys or a model A. A hot rod is a car you built by your self or put your own sign on, its yours and nobody elses.Nowone can tell you how to build your hotrod, only you who build it can.
    Here home in sweden before ebay time whe searced the woods and old junkyards for proper parts to build hotrods of. It all could start whit an old 31 chev frame and like an anglia body. but hell, its a hotrod!
    Im still trying to build hotrods my own way and dont listen to craptalk like, "eey thats not a hotrod,it doesnt hav a a v8engine". BULLSHIT!

29. J-Gilmoore

J-Gilmoore

By the way. That willys gona be awesome! cant wait to se it done.
    Have fun! Its what its all about.

30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.