Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Car Show Have Lost It.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Aug 30, 2010.

1. I don't know about you, but I have been going to shows for a long time-basically to hang out and check out other TRADITIONAL HOT RODS. I was recently at a show with over 200+ cars, there were 2 of us Traditional cars there. Frankly I'm sick and tired of seeing some guy strutting his stuff by his bought and paid for, billett, plastic, cookie cutter car. A couple of us older guys were talking about what's going to happen when we die off with the hobby. The only young car guys I saw had tuned ricers. Don't get me wrong, there are some fine, $$$$ quality cars out there that have been done, not pre-fab bought, but at most shows everyone wants glitz. TELL ME HOW YOU GUYS REALLY FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I agree with you, Avenger........but I am still getting the popcorn ready to go.......

CB

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Do you host or work with others running your own show?
    There are traditional shows with specific entry rules around here that have become quite popular.Next weekend is the Minneapolis Messaround which is a great show and a few other clubs have started traditional orientated shows this year.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I guess its not a problem around Texas as there are plenty of Shows and Races, cruise etc.. geared toward traditional cars. You usually know what your getting into before you ever get there.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

W-A

Please read your post and look in the mirror and say slowly

'Am I that old and stupid?'

Your not and nothing Nothing is wrong!!!

Your just going to the wrong shows DAD.......

If you see one street rod as your in line ........ leave cause there will be MORE inside.

Yes it is easier to get some jerk to bolt things on to your car than find a real car builder IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT!

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I dunno man, kustoms and rods are alive and well in NJ, especially with the younger crowd. Hell, look at my '57 ford, Slowandlow's '63 Ford and now his 62 Merc, the O'Doyles up in north jersey (thesupersized and merc-o-madness), not to mention Tindall's sick 409 powered A coupe. I think I'm the oldest out of everyone and I just turned 26. I think the state of the rod and kustom union is strong!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If it bothers you that much...STAY HOME...sell your car and take up golf...!!! Rodding is supposed to be fun...if you're that stressed out...then playing cars is not for you anymore...

There's a ton of events around here and no one gets uptight cuz there's billet stuff at show...if you don't like it, don't look at it...personally, I don't even bother to look at Model A's and '32 Fords simply because nearly everyone has one and they are all b-o-r-i-n-g...!!!

R-

8. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

If the show was promoted as a "car show" or "show & shine", then you HAVE to expect the majority of the cars to be muscle cars, tri-5 chevys and the like. If you don't want to see such cars, don't go to the show. If you want to go to a show consisting of cars you consider "traditional", then organize such a show yourself and only allow cars that you approve of. Unless you've put some effort into organizing the function, you don't really have the right to complain about the outcome UNLESS, the promotion for the event was misleading IE :promoted as a "traditional hot rod show" and consists of mainly muscle and tri-5's. IMO, your a guest of those that organized the show and as such, you can either enjoy it and appreciate their effort, or stay home.

9. Easy there big fella, it's gonna be okay. There will alwayse be a demand for the old stuff. I'll predict that in 10 or 15 years the ratio of traditional hot rod to street rod will be compleely reversed. And as for the young guy's being into tuners some of them will become the next generation of traditional hot rodder some won't. Where I see a major population boom in hot rodders is in the really young guy's. There are a bunch of kids 13 or 14 years old tagging along and learning as fast as they can. Anyway, don't worry about it. If the hobby shrinks that's just good for those of us that are left in it as far as I can tell.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind the street rods as I have learned a long time ago that If I don't much care for a car I just don't need to look at it or take photos of it. And we do see "street rod" owners who get tired of seeing their just bought billet goodies already being out of date by the time they get to a show with them on the car and starting to go back to a more timeless look.
    What burned my butt this year was going to the major event in my local (50 mile radius) area and seeing row upon row of late 60's early 70's cars that were boring when they are built and are really boring with worn out paint and so so interiors. A few very well done cars in the bunch and a few that were really interesting but most of them should have been out hidden in the parking lot where they belonged.
    This is and event that was turned from a strictly pre 48 event to a 72 and earlier event a few years ago because the host club thought they weren't dragging in sufficient numbers of cars anymore to pay entry fees and fill their club coffers.

I'd rather go to an event with a good mix of rods and customs what ever style they are rather than feel like I'm still in the parking lot when I walk past rows of what I see as filler cars that are there so the event producers can raise their numbers and cash intake.

And to be honest, sometimes a guy has to drive a ways to get to the events with the cars he likes and it may take driving for a few hours one way to do that. A lot of those cars you see in the Texas event threads drove several hundred miles one way to get there and those guys still live in Texas but think nothing of running from Houston to Austin or San Antonio for a one day event. If it is a good event you go even if it takes several hours to get there. And sometimes drive right past a couple of events in the process.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  11. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

We went to a show 2 weeks ago & there were 3 traditional style cars there. Our 2 and another out of 100 + cars. Didn't bother me a bit. I like all kinds of cars just some more then others..

I didn't go to vette shows when I had one because I didn't want to see 100 of the same thing. Being stuck on a certain build style or car seems boring to me.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I only take my cars to tradistional shows. There's enough around here to satisfy me. The other shows, I may or I may not attend, depending on the mood or if a bunch of my buddies are going (enough to make it tradistional, LOL). A good example is the Labor Day Cruise at the OC Fairgrounds. I went once and didn't care for it. Now I go to the Primer Nationals the same weekend. Much better crowd..............

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

The way shows are in Florida the people putting them on are out for the dollar not the people,no limit on years of car or anything anymore.you might find a Honda with a wing on the decklid sitting between a 55 Chevy and a Model T, and most of the older car have tweed interiors and ac in them,tradition is like a man"s word,a thing of the past .Still alot of good,original cars in Florida though and alot of hotrodders.

14. henryj429

henryj429

So how do you explain the guy that is strutting his stuff with a "bought and paid for" traditional car. Ask him where any period correct part on his car came from and he has no clue. This guy is no different that the "gold chainer" street rodder and his type is growing in quantity as traditional cars are now trendy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

you need to get back on your meds . Hell, do a fly over & if you don't like go back to the home.

16. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The "other guys" are just "raising awareness" by appearing at shows.
    Hell,everyone's "raising awareness" and "piggybacking" onto an established setting.

17. falfas55

falfas55

I just like to go and hang out.I don't really care if it's a tuner or a muscle car.What does piss me off is those damn boom systems.I'm not there for a trophy, i'm there to see friends and to see other peoples ideas.

18. mcisneros

mcisneros

people always got to wine about something, then at the traditional shows people are wining cause there were to many "primered" cars there, and that there were "too many scenesters" i guess some people will never be happy!

19. Honestly to me I feel there is a big movement now days towards traditional cars and away from the fiberglass and billet at the street level of the hobby. Hell even HOTROD mag has been covering the shit out of traditionals lately. But thats jus my view and opinion.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

15 years ago, there were maybe three or four events dedicated to traditional cars? Now, there are so many they all seem to run together.

You are at the wrong shows man.

21. I can usually find stuff I like and stuff I hate at any car show, traditional or otherwise. I really kind of enjoy looking at all of it, though.

22. rgaller

rgaller

I feel you should get over yourself. Why does everyone else need to like the same things you do? Like it or not, the younger generation would rather plug a computer into their car to tune it, instead of messing with points and a vacuum advance.

23. roddinron

roddinron

If the ride to and from the show isn't more fun than the show itself, then you need to find a different hobby.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

x2...

25. kingpins

kingpins

i agree with this guy. stay home if you cant handle it. everyone has there own thing i say let them enjoy what they like and you enjoy what you like....there strutting there stuff at the shows and your strutting your stuff on here to us like your car is better than theres.go to a traditional show if you dont like it. hell i love those street rod guys! when they get a car sent to the shop to put 100k into it they give me all the old parts they dont want for free...perfectly good parts...."yes ill take that 6 carb intake from you" "yea that flat heads worthless...ill take it off your hands" no problem...

26. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I was showing my Lionel O gauge trains at a show and a bunch of guys showed up with HO trains. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

27. Wow. I guess everyone just needs to vent their frustrations every now and then.

Sounds like you're in a bit of a bubble up there. I'm personally seeing a lot of young folks carrying on the traditiona scene all around the world, but I'm with 40StudeDude, if it bothers you that much to see em messin with your bubble, take up bingo. No young folks screwing up that scene.

28. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Roddinron nailed it (post #23). It's getting there and back that jiggles my handle.

29. Invicta

Invicta

I agree. Im blue collar all the way. Why build a car and haul it 5 miles to a show. Build it and use it.

30. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Move to NJ. The guys out here are keeping the flame red hot. I am amazed at the local Hot Rod/Kustom scene in Jersey. Slim