Register now to get rid of these ads!

'55-'57 Chevy Gasser- Straight Axle Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BulldawgMusclecars, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I have seen most either using a late '40s Chevy truck axle and springs, or something aftermarket like Speedway. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the axle from a '57 truck? The reason I ask is that I will be doing an IFS swap onto one for a customer in the near future, and I can probably get his old setup for free. If there is something wrong with this setup (granted, I haven't measured it yet), I'll go another route, but if it will work well the price recommends it! I did a serach, but couldn't find anything specific. Thanks!

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The track is wider, ok if you going for that Pontiac pitch line.

3. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Ok, that would be reason enough not to. Thanks!

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

IMO people use the Chevy truck axle setup ,because they are free from people doing swaps to IFS on these 55-59 trucks.I personally dont think a Gasser looks right with anything but a tube axle under it ,but many will disagree .There is also the issue of the weight difference between a tube axle and the truck Ibeam that i dont like.I would use a tube axle under it .By the time you replace the springs ,king pins ,tierod ends ,hub conversion ,etc its really not much more to buy a speedway setup and have all new stuff and use 49-54 Chevy car spindals and brakes ...

5. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...the '49-'54 truck axles are closer to the stock '55-'57 car track width...

6. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Thanks for the advice! I really like the tube axle a bit better myself, and eliminating as much weight as possible is a concern. I want this to be a fairly low buck project (I have had the car for years, bought it for the electric wiper motor on it for $200), but I do want to spend money in the right places. I have been around '55-57s since I got my first one in '84 at 15, but actually building a gasser out of one is pretty new to me, so I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions here.

7. I believe some prefer the I beam and the drilled hole appeal, I like the tube axle personally. Do some homework on the tube from Speedway some say you need more strength if you are going to launch and land hard. Nickey Chigago makes a nice kit if you want to spend some serious money but claims to have great engineering behind it. Just some advice and info from my research. Hope it helps. CGM:)

8. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I'm planning on a stroked, aluminum headed (painted) 454 with a tunnel ram and a 4-speed, and an old style ladder bar or leaf-link rear; no 4 links or modern stuff. Its going to be a "street" motor, since I want to actually drive it to the track...or the HAMB drags...or Power Tour...etc. I'll probably use some vintage-looking repro slicks, rather than modern ones, so I know that will be a limiting factor for traction. Think the Speedway axle will be adequate?

Thanks!

9. YES. Unless you plan to pull the wheels 6 feet off the ground and slam it down hard quickly.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Ask ShakeyPuddin

11. Butch M

Butch M

I used the truck axle 54 chevy I like it real well. but I like the tube axle also...

Attached Files:

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

over two dozen tube axle installs so far , i gotta go with the speedway deal. got one in this ....

Attached Files:

13. thegrobe

thegrobe

I like the I beam. I am using a Chevy truck axle in my '62 Plymouth build. Speedway spindles, brakes, steering arms, etc fill it out with some new components. Jeep CJ springs work real well. A real Frankenstein. But coming together well so far.

I was considering the tube axle kit but I wanted the I beam look and longer springs than what comes with the speedway stuff. Just my 2 cents.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I found an old Chevy Rumble in my stack with a '55 gasser, that had a '57 truck axle under it, and see what you mean about it giving a wide track. I didn't like it at all. I'm still undecided whether Speedway tube or 47-54 beam, but it will be a while before I start the project anyway. Thanks for all the info !!!

15. thegrobe

thegrobe

Keep in mind what wheel/tire setup you will be using. This truck I beam is a few inches wider than the OEM track in my Plymouth, but mocking it up with the skinny rims up front and the fatter tires out back put wheels perfect in the wheel wells. I know this doesn't translate exactly to your build but it is something to consider.

16. I am running the '47-'54 Chevy PU axle under the '42 Chevy "Wildthing" but with a twist, Sid of www.droppedaxles.com now offers "undropped" and drilled axles and this is his first! I want a I beam for the early simpilcity low buck home brewed look, this is it! I am excited to have his first. I am also running the early '69-'72 Chevelle Disc brake set up on this axle, all from Sid. What do you think about his undropped 3" axle?? And it is 2 3/8" wider then stock but with my ET 15x5s it spaces out perfect in the '42.
    [​IMG]

Tickety Boo likes this.