Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

So, let me straighten this out a bit, you got a truck chassis (AD) with a camaro subframe stubbed on, correct? If that is true, I dont see why you would want to swap, especially since you would have to lengthen the S10 chassis you will be getting, what would be the benefit for you? All I see is more work for you, if you want to relocate the tank, then do that and keep the chassis you got... BTW, not many on this site would use mm for their measurements, you may want to convert mm to inches in future posts, Good Luck

2. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

:DFinaly someone notice... :D

yeah i know it sounds abit bizar.... its bit a dillemma.. the s10 is almost complete with a good Radiator ,wireharness brake lines and good gastank
    and a lot of other parts stuff what i realy can use... also in the Netherlands the DMV will look at the vehikel before they give you a title and license plate and i hear many have problems when the frame is clipped a s10 chassis isn't clipped so they just see a nice frame...

3. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Buy the S-10 and strip it for parts, then take the shell to the scrapper for $

4. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

it isnt for sale he only wants too trade... :(

5. For those of you who are metric-challenged, that is:
    S10: 108"
    AD long bed: 137"
    Amount to lengthen: 28" (that over 2 feet!)
    official conversion factor: 1" = 2.54cm (exactly) (AKA 25.4mm)

I'm thinking DMV would be likely to cry about a 2 foot section of extra material in the middle of the frame to lengthen the S10, at least as much as they would cry about the clip job...
    I'd keep what you have, and make the seam at the clip job pretty enough they won't notice it.

just my $.02

6. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Just staring this s10 swap. Its a 52 dodge on a 94 s10 frame. We cut the frame down last weekend, so I mocked up the body this weekend. I've got a long way to go but wanted to thank all the folks who have contributed to this thread as it has given me the courage to tackle this myself (with the help of a few buddies). I'll post more pics a this project progresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Nice job so far,, which size frame did you use, shortbed, longbed ? what is the wheelbase length? Did you have to do much fabbing on the frame mounts? or not done yet? be sure and so some pics of the frame before final assembly,,
    My 41 chevy truck requires a 117in iirc, but I only have a shortbed reg cab s10 frame, which is 109. I am not ready to start that project anyways so still looking for a long bed or ext cab frame, but gathering lots of info till then.
    thanks for the info eagletucky!!

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Lovin' the Mopar cab. Gonna be a sweet truck. Can't wait to see it finished.

9. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I bought an extended cab s-10 before I even bought the Dodge. After I purchased the Dodge, I realized this truck has a 108" wheelbase, the same as a reg cab/shortbed s-10. Oh well, cut the frame down to shortbed dimensions....

Although the front s10 mounts are very close to the Dodges, I'm going to remove all of the s10 mounts and transfer the Dodge mounts to the s10. I just think it will look cleaner that way. I'll try to remember to take some pics. Sometimes when the fur is flying, I forget to take a minute and document.

10. rhondayou

rhondayou

It's been a while since I last posted, but I'm still plugging away on my son's 53GMC.
    My problem is, as I work on his truck, my welding and fabrication skills get better and I keep adding new ideas.

Lots of pages on my photobucket

Check it out:
    http://s275.photobucket.com/home/rhondayou

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  11. 54killnweeds

54killnweeds

well i havent been on here in a bit. but i have mounted my 54 ford cab to my s10 frame. i keep the ford firewall and floor and mounted it four inches off the s10 so everything will clear i also have the column drop and pedals installed and working.. i;ll post pics of progress soon

12. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

All 2WD, 2-door Blazer's have a thicker, stiffer, front sway bar (33mm I think) that is identical to those GM stuck on the "performance package" S-10's.

Just throwing that out there in case someone is interested in cutting out some body roll.

13. Abomination

Abomination

Shit - 70 pages, and 1393 posts?

Y'all are hardcore! I knew this thread would be popular (it's about the only place online with all this info about S-10 swaps), but damn!

~Jason

14. billythedeadboy

billythedeadboy
    from Alaska

I am surprised nobody has asked this yet. What about the Olds Bravada? How is it different from the s10 or blazer? It has AWD like the typhoon/cyclone, possibly like the Astro/Safari. I was considering making a 4.3 AWD...something. I live in AK and the AWD would be nice for the 8 months of the year you dont want to drive a 2wd.

15. junkfordgy

junkfordgy
    from florida

Wish I had found this post before I started my 40 Chevy 4 door and spent a year rebuilding just the frame.Owell. I just picked up a nice 47 Ford Sedan Delivery and looking at KoolKemps build I'm thinking the 47 will be getting the s10 treatment.I've got some questions but will save them for when I get started in a couple of months.I'll post pictures as is goes,I do have a few on my into page of how it looks now. again thanks for all the great info all of you have posted here.

16. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

yeah almost every week you see new responses on this thread it is realy cool...

hope some one will make a cool bracket for the ad-truck front bumper and show us what he has done..

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I will be happy to answer anything I can for you...you are a lucky man to have a sedan delivery I would love to do that up as a traditional 40's custom !! Do you have the back door for it? Looks like its missing in your pics...

18. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I am not 100% but most of all the parts of an S10 of the same years should fit the Bravada,, Cool, AWD Hot Rod,, BTW - A few google searches will probably get you the answer,,

19. junkfordgy

junkfordgy
    from florida

Can't find more than a couple of mentions here about using and existing engine like the 4.3 I have a chance to get a low mile 4.3 99 S10 that I'd like to use in my 47 Sedan Delivery. So the Question really is if I'm making a daily driver , not a show car I can live with a cluttered engine compartment why not or is there something not being said that I should be considering. Cost also is in play here I can get this thing for less than 1/2 what it will cost to do a small block setup. Please be frank and specific as to pros and cons.Thanks

20. Abomination

Abomination

FYI - a small block WILL bolt up in place of the 4.3. I think you can even use the same computer - so if you got a great deal on a small block someday, you could always swap to it if you were already running the 4.3. Food for thought.

Also food for thought, the 2.2L 4-banger gets the same MPG as a TBI 305. Yeah, it's a small small block, nobody wants 'em, but the torque and MPG are both present, and it seems the best of both worlds. It could bolt in place of the 4.3 as well.

Just a couple of things to kick around...

~Jason

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Hey Mr Junkfordgy,
    There are a few things I know of to consider when it comes to using a 4.3.
    If you are not going to be using the Throttle body injection, then you will be looking for a carb and intake combo. I have googled around a bit and found that Edelbrock has a good one, and a carb too with a calibration kit. Probably want to stay around 500-600 cfm. As far as transmissions go, any tranny that bolts to 1st gen small block will bolt to a 4.3. I also heard that the newer 4.3 had balance shafts in them, and if you're not running a computer, then the knock sensors wont be able to do their job... so the older 4.3 is better for a carb application. I dont remember what the years of manufacture are for the balance shaft and non balance shaft application. I recommend doing some googling and you can find the answers.. I had done it before, but my memory is such that I cannot remember what I did yesterday, let alone an hour ago... but I know I did the research and that is some of what I found. I have an 88 Astro Van with a 4.3 Vortec and auto trans, and an S10 frame, and some 41-46 chevy trucks, so someday I hope to get into that project, right now tho still putting together a stock 41.. Good luck and keep us posted with what you find out okay??:)

22. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Ok, I was bored, here is some specific interchange info regarding the carbureted 4.3 and what vehicles came with them:

Here's the interchange on the manifold that you would need to carb it:

Astro '85 6-262 (4.3L)
    Chev Van '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    Chevrolet 10 Pickup '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    Chevrolet 20 Pickup '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    GMC 1500 Pickup '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    GMC 2500 Pickup '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    GMC Van '85-86 6-262 (4.3L)
    Safari (GMC) '85 6-262 (4.3L)

It has the same carburetor bolt pattern as all the 4bbl Rochester Quadrajet carbs, so if you got that manifold and an early carb, you wouldn't need any wires at all.

When it comes to distributors for the 4.3, here is what I found:

You need to use a "conventional" HEI distributor for the 4.3L V6. There are aftermarket units, or you can use a distributor from a 1985 Astrovan. They used a carb and conventional HEI. Do not use a 200-229 Chevy V6 distributor as they aren't even fire. The computer controlled unit won't work.
    You can get on ebay and there are units for 70$ specifically for the 4.3.
    For example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Igni...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2297wt_1165

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  23. Also watch out for the vortech heads vs non-vortech heads in the intake swap. I seem to remember someone working on one of those and finding that it isn't as easy to make them fit the wrong heads as it is on a small block.

24. billythedeadboy

billythedeadboy
    from Alaska

I have already done a few google searches. The only info i cannot find is the track width. I think the frames are similar but not identical, not sure of the fram height either. I also cannot find much info on the steering and AWD train that is actually useful. I might just pick up a cheep one from craigslist and tear into it so i can get some real numbers.

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I took a grill off a Bravada once since I couldnt find a GMC S15 Sonoma in the junk yard,
    reminds me of when Olds, Pontiac and Chevy all made their own version of the nova, aka omega and ventura, the interior pieces were different and so were the front and rear fascia
    but frames were all the same

26. sweet70beast

sweet70beast
    from Rexburg Id

This is a great thread.
    I found an 89 reg cab long box 4x4 s10 that i am going to put under my 54 Suburban. I want to the typoon/cyclone Awd direction. I have read a ton of AD pick up conversion on here,but I am wondering if anyone out there has done an AD Carryall(Suburban) swap?

27. joel torres

joel torres

typoon/cyclone Awd direction IS A BADASS IDEA i like it
    i was orig going to do a buick grandnational drivetrain but to hard to get so i went with a regular monte real cheap $600 and we used it for a year before the surgery

28. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

That remind me on a other swap a 52gmc on a envoy burb.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244

29. scounts

scounts

Well I'm on "vacation" in Afghanistan, so my project is on hold until June of 2012! I'm looking for another truck to use. I was having a bear of a time getting the passenger door to line up correctly on my 52. I have to replace the passenger cowl, both cab corners and most of the floor and kick board. Not impossible, but then I have to deal with my crappy bed and fenders too. Found another truck in Kansas but he wants 4K for it. Oh well, plenty of time to think about it!

30. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Good luck over there. Thanks for the service. 2012!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.