Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody going to the Charlotte Auto Fair Aug 25-29?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderplex, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I am working in fayetteville and have sunday only off. Is it worth going to on sunday? How far from Fayetteville to charlotte? If I head down saturday after work[5:00] can you still get in any shopping saturday night? TP

2. edweird

edweird

might just do that! I've been wanting to meet you anyway.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm going and can't wait! I'm looking for some 15" bias plies for King Of Trucks.

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

From Fay its about 2hrs 45 pending traffic.I believe tickets are sold till 5pm saturday and 2pm on sunday. I think gates are open till dark...not sure what sundays are like as ive usually gone on saturdays.....the show is a decent show...its twice a year..the spring auto fair tends to be a bit better, but swap meet portions can vary

5. Even though the weather forcast looks to be terrific (so far) I wouldn't waste my time to come down on Sunday for the fall show. Everybody's on the road to get back home on Sunday. And you can forget any late Saturday sellers as well. Everybody's off to get some BBQ & beer by that time of the day. Trust me I only live about 15 mins from the place and I see the same scenario every year....

6. What time does the swap open on Sat?... would like to beat some of the traffic if possible (I'll be getting into Lake Park around midnight on Fri).

7. They usually open the gates at 7 in the morning. Lucky for me, my neighbor has an extra vendor pass that he gives me. Gets me in the gate before anyone else. I'll wave at ya'll when I'm haulin all those first-come deals back to my car. (heh, heh!)Can't beat free entry all weekend long, just have to pay for parking which is $5 a day.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I was @ the Charlotte swap meet today :D

Lots of stuff and people but it is NOT like the Spring edition.
    Saw some cool stuff ... but did not buy anything.

Not much 32 Ford stuff and almost NO 48/49/50 F1 stuff. :eek:
    But I met some cool folks and had a good time before the showers started.

9. dudley32

dudley32

Looks like I've already missed it..hope to be there in the spring..:rolleyes:

10. DMC

DMC
    from SC

I'll be there on Friday.

11. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

This time i thought it sucked more than suck itself....not sure if I will ever return....hoping Goodguys swap will be better

12. I agree. All I saw was Camaro,Mustang and Chevy c-10 stuff. Hardly any old stuff at all.It also appeared to be about a third smaller than usual. Reminded me of a yard sale.:(

13. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

reminded me of going through a junkyard and through a crappy flea market....all i bought was a cheeseburger and a sweet tea that sucked....wasnt impressed with any of the cars there...all too new for the most part...some nice resto jobs but a complete waste of time. Im really surprised there werent any "donk cars" there..yet.

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Almost, I saw a early 70's torino and a 70 "ss" chevelle with big 26" wheels.

What I didn't see was any 61/62 specials or skylarks. Was hoping to see at least one.

I didn't really get anything of substance, a peep mirror, bullet lug nuts, a horn, and a shop manual. Best part of the weekend was that my dad finally ordered a chassis for his deuce. He has been wanting to get a new chassis for years.

Can't wait for Goodguys.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I agree ... but at least it was a lot fuller on Saturday thna it was on Thursday. All I bought was a Diet Coke.
    There was a big crowd of spectators
    :)

This was the first year I have went to the Fall edition in about 10 years. It always conflicted with the Pigeon Forge TN run. I do not know if I would go back back for the fall edition except that I get to see a lot of old friends and quite a few HAMB members also. :D :D That is always GOOD.

16. Well the vandals were back this time.

In the spring we had two cars in our group get the interiors sprayed with fluorescent orange paint. Two of my wheels were loosened (two studs twisted off of one wheel). This time we had another car sprayed with the orange paint.

I would have liked to caught the POS.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I picked up nice 5 Holley 94's for $65.00, but I didn't find that Cheap Walker Radiator for my 35.....damn.

Friend picked up a Original Chrome Axle for a song.

18. Well, guess I had a better time than most. I scored a fuel gauge for my 'bird, some trim I've been needing, and a set of 14" steelies.

Never cared for Goodguys, just a bunch of billet-rods and bunch of posers IMHO.

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

With stop lights in every isle(Whats up with that?) and vintage signs with outrageous prices(Thanks American Puckers) and I even saw a beanie baby table WTF. I think I'll stick with the spring show. And don't even get me started on the ignorant people driving through the isles with vehicles and all those damn scooter chairs.:mad:

BTW although we were fairly tired by the time we made it over there we never did find the HAMB village.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  20. ". And don't even get me started on the ignorant people driving through the isles with vehicles and all those damn scooter chairs.:mad:"

Yeah, my son and I were commenting on how many hundreds of people could possibly be crippled at one event! I have never seen so many scooter chairs and rude inconsiderate people manipulating them. What is this country coming to with such laziness? Sure,some people need them,but mostly they were just fat or too lazy.They wouldn't be fat if they would walk for a change. I know because I know everything...:)

21. disorderlysaint

disorderlysaint

I went saturday. Didnt buy any old parts but i did pick up some brackets and such for my Plymouth coupe (a model frame). And i did score a sweet old cooler for cheap so i guess it wasnt a total loss. Theres never much for Mopars there so im used to being disappointed. Endless crusty chevy ralleys! I ened up going backl to burlington and hitting two other cruise-in/shows so i had a full day of auto related fun.

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I bought a few little books. Missed out on an original stovebolt Fenton 2x1 intake. The price tag said what I thought was $80. They guy wasn't there, so I left my number. Turns out he says its rare corvette parts and he wanted $800! Crazy.

And what is up with not being at your table if you're a vendor? I stood at a table with about $3,000 worth of Appleton 112's (five spotlights) for about 20 minutes waiting for somebody to show up. He never did so I left my number there too.

23. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I just got off the phone with a buddy that went today and he said they were renting those scooters for $100.00 a day. He said his wife got hit buy one of them due to the dumb ass driving it not paying attention.:rolleyes:

24. Jeff J

Jeff J

I smell a law suit for scooters !!! But i did find the nut and bolt guys selling by the pound and some bumper stops and a couple files ! Spendt a whole $25.00 bucks

25. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

We were there, just didn't have the banner up and flying.

26. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Bummer we were looking for you guys.

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

guys easy on the negativity!!!

I saw plenty of decent stuff, yea there was a lot of bs but I have yet to ever see a swap meet that wasn't full of it...

I scored a nice set 53,54 ford headlight rings with chrome inserts for $40
    a set of thunderbird waterfall seat backs in sweet shape for $20
    a set of cab corners for my 66 chevy truck 2 for $5!!!

saw a merc rear window for $100

my buddy skeeter got a set of 36 ford headlights in great shape (except for one cracked lens) for $75!!!!!!!!

saw a nice set of 57 caddy caps for $150

a nice edmunds 2 pot intake with an original set of edelbrock heads (8ba) for $550

there is a lot of good stuff you just gotta dig.

this is charlotte not pamona remember?

while you may not find a 32 body for cheap there is always good stuff to be had.

you just gotta know what you are looking at, because the deals are to be bought from the guy that doesn't.

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

not to mention my buddy chris got a rebuilt open drive 3spd top loader with synchro'd gears for $150!!!

shits there you may have just not been the one to find it:D

29. flamed34

flamed34

Picked up a set of really nice '34 Chevy Master bumpers with brackets for $150.
    A nice set of 14x7.5 pie crust 3" wide whites for my father's '47 merc for $425
    A "toilet seat" '60 Fury trunk mount "fake" continental kit for $30
    Two new Borgeson universals to hook up my steering for $55 (normally about $100 a piece).
    A new slim line Spal 16" fan (in case I can't fit a REAL fan) for $20
    A nice chromed '40 Ford rearview mirror for $30

Saw an absolutely complete dropped tube axle with discs, radius rods, shocks, shock mounts, steering box - all looked almost new - for $750 (but didn't sell the chevy I took down, so didn't want to part with the coin).

Saw a nice tri-carb set up complete for $300 - went to get cash out of my truck and it was sold before returning.
    Saw a real solid 46-47-48 Ford 2-door sedan for $1900 obo

Someone posted about the Fenton 2X1 - there was another for $400 my swap meet neighbor wanted, but it was sold by the time he sold enough to buy it.

I also managed to sell a bunch of stuff this year I've been carrying around for years - of course, I gave good deals, but I didn't have to load it again!!! I think I was mostly surprised at selling the 25/26/27 Dodge Bros front fender.

Overall, it was pretty small this year - I'm sure the economy is taking it's toll: $90 for a 10 x 20 spot, travel, food, etc - it's not economical if people aren't buying much. Even the Chevelle / Camaro / '57 Chevy vendors were complaining - too many people in the game to make any money any more.

As for the scooters - I agree with a lot of the jack-asses. In my father's case, he has 2 artificial hips, and just can't walk it anymore.

30. 66L-79

66L-79

I came by Saturday evening looking for you too but did not see the banner so I went home.