Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vinatage Ice chest/coolers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Aug 27, 2010.

1. davidh73750

davidh73750

these look cool strapped on a luggage wrack or in the back of a old station wagon but do they keep ice cool that long? My buddy has a pleasure chest and he says its a 4 to 6hr chest. Other guy had one of 70's vintage, not steel inside but not plastic says, almost like a tile, says his works great.

I know the coke ones are outrageous on price. Before I get one wanted to know how cool they keep beverages. a survey of sorts. thanks

2. My Grandfather gave me an old Stainless Coke cooler that is probably about a 40's model. That thing will keep what ever is in it VERY cold for a long time. I was amazed at how well it worked.

3. I bought an old Coke Cooler off the bay a few years ago. It was rusted through in a couple of spots on the bottom (therefore, reasonably cheap) and I was able to remove most of the original so-called insulation from it. I shot it with aerosol foam before I patched it up with fiberglass and refinished it. It holds ice fairly well now; probably good for 8 - 10 hours on a normal summer day. But damn those old things are heavy!

4. Amen to being heavy! And that's without anything in it!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

I bought this one at a resale shop, hardly used for $25, it's got a galvanized insides. I'm going to seal up the corners and use the heck out of it!!!

Attached Files:

6. I've got a metal no-name chest, bought at a yard sale for $15.
    Repainted to match the car, attached Plymouth sign from the 40s.
    Found other items to go with it.

But, have never tried keeping something cool in it.
    Use it for a spare parts container.

[​IMG]

7. James66g

James66g

A buddy of mine was up at the Cabelles in Reno and said they have Colemans all metal just like the old school ones brand new! I was thinking of picking one up and repainting to match the Galaxie

8. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

We have an all metal new Coleman that I had painted to match our Caddy - they keep the ice so much longer than the non-metal variety.

Oldbobsign here on the board was kind enough to pinstrip the cooler for us which really makes is special.

9. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

10. Muttley

Muttley

The old metal coolers are, well, cool. They work much, much better than the new plastic versions and look way better doing it. I have a couple of fairly large ones in excellent shape, neither one cost more than five bucks at a couple of local yard sales in the last year or so. I'd like to find an old smooth sided one and load it up with a bunch of old decals, both of mine are the textured ones.

11. davidh73750

davidh73750

went to the cabella web site. These are cool if I cant find a vintage one. Then have some stripping done and fill it up.
    [​IMG]

12. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

gearhead graphics will referbish paint and stripe it up for ya

13. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Chad...got the same one ...I love it ...

14. davidh73750

davidh73750

I'll have to get one ready for Lonestar next year. LOL. Could've used it during the hamb drags. LOL

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

Hey hipkatgreaser I got a 63 belair much like yours. Your cooler go in the back of that car? Those trunks have a lot of room. LOL

16. whid

whid

just bought a small pleasure chest at a somewhat "antique store".......top was pushed in handle wouldnt tighten down the lid other than that very good shape.......ended up gettin it for $20....ended up pulling most of the dents out by just pullin up on the handle....seals up real nice now.plans are to take the lid apart eventually and knock all the dents out ...paint it up and stripe it and use the piss out of it..............dave

17. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Ya it fits along with a couple of people I'm disposing of. HaHaHa

18. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

they work great! Better than a shit plastic cooler. Use the hell out of whatever one you buy!

19. davidh73750

davidh73750

So is it safe to say the colemans the best of the old ice chests?

20. those things are like 150$ you can get a old one for a lot less, keep your eyes open!

21. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Well if you only drink the finest champange like myself you need one of these to carry a cool 30 pack. I have a full repaint planed for this winter

Attached Files:

22. Here is one I picked up a couple months ago at an estate sale(that is a yard sale inside a rundown old house)for $3.25.Someone had painted it Back Fence Green with a broom.Don't know who made it but it is wood with galvanized sheet metal covering it and wire handles and clasps.Inside is a galvanized box with tight fitting cover to hold ice(there is no drain in the box).Was going to fix some of the dings but decided just to letter it up instead.Tried it out on a hot day and it worked fine except the inside box sweated a lot and the bottom of it wasn't painted so it rusted a little.Easy fix.Lives in the back of my Safari now.
    The other one is an unmarked box I bought and painted up and sold.

Attached Files:

23. STROMMY

STROMMY

i just pinstriped this for a guy about a week ago, he found this in the back of a 'barn find' 34 ford sedan, so who knows how old it really is...

Attached Files:

24. I have an old red cooler called a " pleasure chest", my wife said I bought it just for the name. Carlg

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Dr. Pepper ice chest and my Feather Lite ice water jug complete with it's swing out dispenser spout.

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I had one of those red one and sold it . Made a lot of money off it too . Was going to use it for a battery box on a 37 Ply. truck I had but sold the truck and bought a 49 & 50 Ford .
    I also have one of the old Scott round coolers in very good condition . Even has the plastic inset that sits in the top . I have a matching grill that is still in the box and never was used ! I also have a green gallon jug with a porcelain inside . It's real heavy but keeps liquid cold for a long time .

Retro Jim

27. I'd love a vintage Dr. Pepper cooler - my favorite drink!

Steve

28. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

My buddy Dewayne Stewart made this one for one of his customers. the pictures do not do in justice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I got this nice cooler/thermos for about $75..One of my C.C. buddies striped it for me..I use it all the time when im out side working on my truck.it works great.

Attached Files:

30. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Both have been in my family since new. The Non-Coke one is a Riverside (Monkey-Wards) cooler. I use them to carry my detail junk, tools and soft sided coolers. Both are in great shape. I get lots of offer....but NO SALE.

[​IMG]