Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs To cut or not to cut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowelife, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lowelife

lowelife

So I picked up this '49 Chevy last week because it was a good deal. Don't really need another project right now since the "A" still needs interior and some fine tuning to be finished. That being said (and alot of searching pictures later) I think I want to chop it. I seen some pretty cool customs made from these cars and wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. But there are some problems.

1. never chopped a anything before
    2. from the posts I've studied seems like alot of work.
    3. is the chop worth all the extra time.

I do have some metal working skills, just have never tried a chop. I did all the work on my A but the top was already chopped when I bought it. I channeled it, made my own floors, rear inner fenders and all the body work and paint. I just don't want to screw up a perfectly good car.

So what do ya think chop or not?

[​IMG]

2. 416Ford

416Ford

Finish your A and leave the Chevy alone. Drive it and enjoy it till the A is done. Then ask the same question and you will get completely different answers.

3. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Drive It, have fun, OK, maybe lower it a little, but just that.

4. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

That Chev is pretty clean! Leave it alone for now and finish yur A. You'll be glad you did. Don't put too many irons in the fire, nothin'll get finished in a timely manor.

5. bobjob55

bobjob55

doing a chop ,,,, it turns into a whole lot of work that most guys don't even think about ...once you start cutting ,, you are committed ... metal work is one thing ... then you have to rework the pillers ,, doors ,, all the glass,, then comes the interior work ,, paint ..then of course you will want to upgrade the motor & trans .. then change the suspension to make it look right ..
    the car looks good the way it is .... i'd just start with a updated motor & trans ,,, and some nice tires /rims... then drive it for a few trouble free years ,, and see how much you love the car ... THEN i'd think about cutting it up ...
    AND YES ,,,, I THINK IT WOULD LOOK BITCHEN CHOPPED .....

6. farmer12

farmer12

X2, you took the words out my mouth!

7. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Do as I say not as I do finish the first project first.Enjoy the Chevy as is.

8. I agree with the above. Drive it (maybe lower) until you need another project

9. Wicked50

Wicked50

If you dont know what ur doing dont chop it

10. Tin Can

Tin Can

Drive it the way it is or flip it for some extra doe to finish your A the way you want it

11. 3spd

3spd

Here is a quick one, hard topped, chopped, and dropped:

[​IMG]

Ryland

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It's only metal... If you're chop-curious maybe you should take a chance and dust off the sawzall

13. lowelife

lowelife

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Cut...Beat...Weld...Repeat!

14. jfrolka

jfrolka

buff it out and get some big whites on it then dust off the sawzall

15. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I say........

1. Dice that top like an orange, so what ya never chopped a top before, everyone's got to start somewhere.

2. Don't chop it, go subtle custom, mold the rea fenders in, shave the emblems and door handles, round the hood corners trunk corners and doors. Lower it a little in the front bag the rear, wide whitewalls and smother it in flake.

That's my suggestion mang.

1shot :eek:

16. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

One project at a time. Finush your a nothing like a finished car. Once you get the itch again cut it up.

17. Diavolo

Diavolo

I just have a problem when a perfectly good looking car like that gets an axe. Sure you can chop it but it is in pristine condition, relatively speaking. Find a busted up one and chop that and leave a good stock car for us who can appreciate the nice lines and good headroom and would like something mildly custom or even *cringe* stock.

Oh, and finish your A before you start another project.

18. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

1 project at a time.

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Gawd, not another chop!! That car is cool enough the way it is. I wanted to chop mine too. Just getting sick of every 49-54 thread being about a chop, I decided that's the last thing I'd do.

20. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

leave it alone. Finish the A!!

21. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

WORD....same here, for same reasons.

Leave the little guy be.....I just wish MINE was in THAT good of a condition. Yer not sellin it, are ya? ;)

22. You guys sure you are on the right site?:confused: In case you hadn't noticed this site, in part, is dedicated to Traditional Custom Cars and a BIG part of the custom part is chopping.

I would say go for it but I would also agree with those that say finish one project first before tackling another or neither will get done.

23. Hightone111

Hightone111

Grow some, CHOP IT UP! Who cares if it's "just another chop"! That's what we're all about isn't it??

I do agree with one thing though...probably dont need another chop thread.

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

If ya gotta ask you don't need to be messin with it.

25. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

chop it and lean the b pillars forward. round the door corners, radius the hood and decklid. Drop it, upgrade motor and tranny...

Wait , I'm blabbing off all the things I would do to it. Its your car. do as you please.

26. AD

AD

customized grill, lowered. Done. Thats a Rad 49 the way it is. Plus the A is already chopped. You can have your Sugar And Spice, Best of both worlds. My .2

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

How many "Gassers" do you see chopped? I'm on the right site, just trying to lure him away from being just another chopped custom guy.

28. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Just drive it and finish your other project. Cool car.

29. WTF do gassers have to do with building a custom?? Yeah I guess he would be better off just being a hot rod guy:rolleyes:.

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's not a Custom, looks more like it needs to be a Gasser to me.:D