Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Long Island'ers , Eh Gads.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRITZ, Nov 28, 2006.

1. 85-percent

85-percent

I remember standing around the Howell and Prock Mustang pit. When it was announced that the Hairy Canary was running, Jay Howell left the pit and ran to the fence to watch it run!

I don't think drivers of fuel funny cars ever got impressed by anything else on the dragstrip. wrong in this case.

-90% jimmy

2. joel torres

joel torres

hello guys
    brentwood hook & ladder/heavy rescue here and we still have the races you can find videos on you tube

3. Merkonic

Merkonic

I go to the Oakdale cruise on thurs day nites when I can find the time.Koolkat-look for a 33 Plymouth cpe or 31 flathead roadster.

4. I'm pretty much homebound now. Sold off the Hot Rod, still have a stock Packard Super 8 1501 I mentioned earlier that is up for sale. So no more cruise nights for me. My kid has a 41 Ford w/a 305/350/Nova combo but we are going to build a new frame for her and have a 65 327 sitting and waiting for a rebuild.

The guy that had it before him was a butcher and should be jailed for trying to kill the person that bought the car. You have to watch those e-bay deals. Some people are just blanking liars from the word go.

5. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Modified stock car driver, owner, builder .. the late "Tiger" Tom Baldwin built a few of those fire race trucks in his Bellport, LI, NY shop.

BTW .. almost in the center of the island here .. Coram. I'm a displaced Brooklynite, who went from Brooklyn, to Riverhead in 1975 to Ridge and then Coram.

6. freebird101

freebird101

Yeah I'm from Glen head, wow didn't know there were so many people from LI

7. jstahemi

jstahemi

I grew up,{no scratch that}lived one block over from Gary F in levittown:rolleyes:I was on the phone with Fontana just yesterday:) He still has PUFFY,I am trying to drag him out to a nostalgia race so he can get "re-bit" and start coming out again.Me:cool:born in Bethpage,the hospital next to hot rod BK,lived in Levittown for 30 years and now on the Great Neck/Little Neck border.

Attached Files:

8. You speak to Fontana, I kind of doubt he uses the web but give him my e-mail address and at the very least, give him my love, that should put a smile on his ruddy face and you can tell him I said so. LOL, Just say, Emil From Golden Chariots sends his love, said you had a ruddy face too.LOL
    Great, great guy.

I hung with Fioto for a very short time. Did a feature on PipeLine which was Steve LaSavage's Roadster built from a 46 (?) Chevy coupe.
    Gary was and I gather still is a real workaholic. Nice guy but won't stand for any BSers.

Thanks for the info!
    Oh yeah, [email protected]

9. truckmen

truckmen

Anyone here know Bob Saputo, used to teach Auto Shop at Freeport High School?
    I used to live in Freeport. I knew him, Sean Vesely and a few others but have been gone from the area for many years.

10. Sorry to say Sean vesley passed last year in north carolina

11. canman

canman

Bring some good bread with you there are NO bakeries down here.

12. LMAO!!!, originally from Baldwin, Fox Ave and Merrick Rd. Love and miss L.I., always will. Freeport, Islip stock car racing, Baldwin Motion, are permanant memories. Friday night I would walk down 3 houses and a bakery, sit on the corner and watch the stock cars go by. I remember when I moved to Florida in the late 70's and the first time I went to get a dozen hard rolls, lady in the grocery store said..." y'all want to buy old bread ? ":D:eek::rolleyes:;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  13. 55chevr, by your avatar you must remember dragonman, I talk to Mel every now and then, he is in Colorodo now, has been for sometime now. Looks exactly the same as he did 30 years ago. The man truly inspired me to become a engine builder and machinist. I dont think I was 17 years old, and he must have seen something in me, took me and my Dad into his shop, and talked to me for over 2 hours explaining every mill, hone, lathe, tooling, fixture, welder etc. The rest of my life has been a very sucessful racing career for me. Started with a dragon.:D

14. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Spent 30 years in Sayville. Now in Charlotte NC. Better winters.
    Bob

15. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

I never saw this thread before, but I'm from LI also. Grew up in Smithtown, moved to Sound Beach, now I reside in Manorville. A little younger than some of you guys (27), but I remember Westhampton. I ran my built 79 Malibu there a while ago right out of high school.

I used to cruise around in a 69 Olds 88 dropped with whitewalls and some stripes. Sold it cause I didn't have the space and now I'm messing with a 52 Merc Monterey with an SBC and some other stuff.

My friends dad was in the Mystery cruisers for a while, then left and is in the Road Demons now, I think. GF's dad was in Lost in the 50's or something, and a few other clubs, has two Mercs, one of which is finished and the other is a halfway done convertible with Packard tails and a few other things that will hopefully get finished soon.

I go to most of the shows, Ratfest, Flowerfield, Rumblers NYC...etc.

16. Yeah, I knew Bob Saputo when I was a member of the Long Island Street Rod Assoc. Bob had been a long standing member back then. I haven't seen him in a good 25 years due to health reasons on my end, I was out of the loop for a long time.

Sean and I were good buddies and his passing was really felt by myself, wife and the rest of the family.

17. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

They still do them, which is pretty shocking considering how every thing is made to be safe nowadays.....One of the highlights of my youth was looking forward to the annual Labor Day event in Hicksville

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XzeNVe9wJMs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[​IMG]<object width="480" height="385">
    </object>

18. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

19. Buildy

Buildy

That last one is so cool it almost made me cry. I used to go to all the tournaments back in the 70s. My cousins used to be on the team from Hewlett NY.

They started out on the human powered junior rigs and moved up to the Trucks when they got old enough.

I still remember the Vette Lindenhurst had.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  20. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

Cool video! I used to see west islip practice by the old dzus factory, looked like fun!

21. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I remember Albertson had a Henry J and i think it was Great Neck had a blown hemi in the sixties

22. Backage

Backage
    from New York

From Bay Shore,Have 53 Chevy,have a great weekend

23. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

There was a backwards corvette that was built by chivvis, I don't know what fire dept had it but...it looked pretty crazy

24. long island vic

long island vic

hewlett smokey stovers disbanded,,west islip used to be the barr x boys named after a farm o the north end of town,,the,re now the raiders,, albertson slo pokes had a henry j nose on the truck ,,the disbanded,,great neck alerts had a blown on alky 392 in a forty ford c rig ,,the hood suvived on the front of justin sells street rodthe vette was lindys snails,,last i say it was on the roof of there clubhouse......vic ... retired rinky dink....

25. 6bblbird

6bblbird
    from New Jersey

The Corvette was run by the Lindenhurst Snails.
    WF

26. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

WOW every now and then my old post pops up, LOL
    I know Gary "The local brush" very well since i am 15 I am 46 now
    he gave me my first brush and learned me about laying lines!
    Joel owner of Baldwin Motion is a friend he moved to Florida.
    Chop it is moving from Fla to Ca.
    as a kid I used to love freeport stock car racing!
    How about "Alex in Wonderland" a crazy artist that has been around forever.
    I have been in Kansas city now for 2 years and I gotta say I don't miss long Island one bit. I do miss my custom car crew of friends, Pizza Entemen's cake
    and dirty water dogs, LOL
    I had Sean's Model A coupe for a while the white one with red scallops lone before the Hamb and cars like that were the Pop fad. If I am right Rich Oakly still owns it in NC.
    just some of me thoughts.
    would love to see more of the local vintage pics they are Fantastic!
    FRITZ

27. cheveey57

cheveey57

Born & raised in Queens ran many a run on Conecting Highway. Been in Hicksville for 12 years now..........

28. WOW, you're just a kid Fritz! I'm 60. You couldn't ask for a better teacher then Gary. I didn't really know Alex but everyone knew OF Alex and his bicykle and stripping box. That's how he got around.

Gary the Brush tried starting a school for painting in part of the old Baldwin Motion building. They even had his Black 3-d flamed 40 on the cover of Speedweek magazine. I don't know if the school ever got accredited. But, could that man paint or what?

I drove Sean's A 5 window when he first put it on the road and it was in primer. I know it went to Richie, who you can find on the 60s-70s Modified forum but my understanding is he sold it. I really haven't asked Richie about it. I felt like a doubled over sardine in that little hot rod. Fun to drive but I wouldn't want to live with it. Sean was a good man though.

Fioto is now moving out to Ca.? Guess he's got to go where the money is.

I didn't know the owners of Motion, I was an East end guy that hung out all over. Thanks for the updates, Fritz.