Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lakesters & Bonneville Racers @ Pebble Beach '10 ... PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 18, 2010.

1. WOW!! thanks for sharing , ,,,,,

HEMI32 likes this.
  2. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Thankyou for posting, fantastic cars

HEMI32 likes this.
  3. chickenshift

chickenshift

Thanks for posting these. The Miller lakester and Chet Herberts sreamliner are 2 of my most favorite cars. Both these fellas had an amazing gift when it came to mechanics. Both are just gorgeous cars. i love the others too, but those two really stand out.

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Great pics thanks for sharing!

5. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I've never seen anything more beautiful!

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. Thanks for all the compliments on this thread and my pics ... the pleasure is all mine!

My only regret is that I posted such low-rez versions of my images ... the details really start to fade when they are resized to post on a message board (i.e., reduced to 640x480 pixels) ... in hindsight, it would have been better to resize them to 1024x768 pixels (and make you guys with small display monitors scroll sideways to see the entire image).

UPDATE (9/2/17): I've replaced all my low-rez images (hosted on Photobucket) with much higher-rez images (hosted directly by the H.A.M.B.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  7. Dave (@A32Flathead) -

I actually looked for you ... figured you would show up at the Refined HAMB Get-Together (noonish @ the Carrillo Roadster) ... but I never saw anyone in a "Road Devils CC Nor-Cal" coat.

Throughout the day, I saw several HAMBers walking through the crowds ... including Jay (@Jive-Bomber), Alan (@Choptop), & Gene (@Gene Winfield Rod&Custom) ... but never saw any of you "South Bay HAMBers".

It's really a bummer that you didn't make it to the Pebble Beach HAMB gathering ... 'cuz you missed out on a wonderful Carmel Valley Pinot Gris paired with a very delicious Monterey Jack cheese :rolleyes: :D ... that, and it would have been nice to finally meet you.

I did however get to "meet & greet" some other fellow HAMBers ... including Rich (@Rich Venza), Frank (@frank morawski), Jamie (@Jimmy B), Bob (@hotrod1940), Jay (@J. Fitzhugh), & Mike (@Jalopyrama Mike) ... it was a real pleasure to meet and talk with each & everyone of them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

8. I was there, passed by several times, bumped into a few fellow HAMB'ers, including Mike Longley who was there with the blue '32 a few cars down from the Meet n Greet (or should that be social gathering, as its PB)

Had the jacket on ALL day too

9. damn. that thread made my night.

HEMI32 likes this.
  10. I host them on Flickr, then post a link to the slide show, then they will be full screen on there, your pictures are great at the size you posted.

HEMI32 likes this.
  11. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man to see the William Brothers Roadster and the Crawford-Stoner Roadster is a pleasure since they are both locals from around my town. I was sure born in the wrong era. Nice pictures Hemi32

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Thanks for all your effort in posting these. With the captions, really
    makes this special. Bob

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. Oscar73

Oscar73
    from Seattle

Hey, I made these decals! Real decals, not that peel and stick crap! Thanks Jay Fitzhugh, for letting me be a small part of this restoration!

And thanks Hemi32 for the great photo!

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

nicely done...really...top-notch coverage...:)

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. A special tip of the hat to HAMBer Dean Lowe who loaned an original water slide Road Runners Club decal for the project. Projects like these take tons of research and great connections like Dean who was happy to part with a very rare piece of SCTA memoribilia for a couple months.

16. Well done!

I wasn't able to make it over this year due to travel conflict. Greatly appreciate the style of your post. Gorgeous cars.

hdh

HEMI32 likes this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

What a fabulous history lesson... THANK YOU!
    I notice the SoCal bellytank is listed as a streamliner, not a lakester. Is that an error, or were the designations different in the day? Anyone know?

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Oh my! ....really beautiful images of some fabulous cars, never thought I'd see these cars at Pebble Beach, good for them recognizing the contributions of Hot Rodders to the wonderful world of automobiles....thanks for posting and including the historical info....top notch.

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. Oscar73

Oscar73
    from Seattle

Wish I'd seen it... all I had to work from was a scanned jpg that could have been sharper, but it worked. Just took a little longer. But from what I understand, everyone in the Road Runners got a new pair of decals! Makes ME happy! Thanks, Dean!

20. @Chaz -

Back "in the day", there were 3 main classes:

1) Roadsters: 1928 & later, American-made, convertible bodies ... unaltered in height, width, or contour ... with grilles from a production car.

2) Lakesters: Modified Roadsters (i.e., convertible bodies that have been altered in height, width, and/or contour).

3) Streamliners: Any type of fireproof constructed body not allowed in the Roadster or Lakester class.

I'm not exactly sure when the SCTA started to classify specially constructed cars with uncovered wheels (i.e., Belly Tanks) as "Lakesters" ... and specially constructed cars with enclosed wheels & cockpits as "Streamliners" ... but I'm thinkin' it was around 1951.

In 1950, the So-Cal belly tank was listed as setting the record in the "A" Streamliner class ... and it appears that all of the other belly tanks running at SCTA meets that year were also classified as Streamliners.

In 1952, the So-Cal belly tank is listed as setting records in both the "A" & "B" Lakester class ... and it appears that all of the "A", "B", "C", & "D" class belly tanks running at SCTA meets that year were also classified as Lakesters ... though a few "O" class belly tanks still ran in the Streamliner class.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  21. Tank

Tank

Awesome pics! Thank-you for putting them up!

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. I was honored to take the Carrillo roadster out to Pebble Beach for Frank Morawski and as you can see from Hemi32's great coverage, it was a trip of a lifetime.
    Ironic that we drove through Wendover at the start of Speedweek and no one knew what we had in the trailer. When we came back through, they were still running on the flats. and once again we drove through and no one knew that a pioneer of racing history was in the trailer.
    Thanks to all involved for the history making weekend that I will never forget.

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. geezerkat

geezerkat

Damn it. I got the hots for a belly tank again.

24. Awesome pics Todd!

I haven't seen the HAMB meet & greet pics anyone?

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that SoCal belly still holds a one way record for an unblown flatty. Thats awesome. Thanks for all the info and pics. Great to read the details as well as see the pics!

HEMI32 likes this.
  26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Yup, nice to see so many cars out there that haven't got an obvious spin added to them by well known restorers. The motorcycle guys seem to have a little more restraint keeping things mostly original when it's possible. Great to see that mentality bleeding over to cars. Thanks for posting.

27. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Here's a shot of the S/G car getting finalized a few days before the show. Very cool to see it in person before it all gets put back together.
    [​IMG]

28. autobilly

autobilly

Absolutely superbly presented thread Todd! Almost felt like being there.

HEMI32 likes this.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  30. Hard to believe this event was 17 months ago. Great memories.

HEMI32 likes this.