Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Old Dominion Speedway Drag Reunion- post your pix here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Got to see some friends and great racing at a historic (read old, narrow and short) dragstrip. Pix speak better than words:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAMB car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fellow Classic Chevy Club member Jason Troilo and his Dad, who restored the SWC Willys, were there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. More:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This '33 Willys has been raced at Old Dominion by the same owner since the mid '60's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One o' them new-fangle Mustangs:

[​IMG]

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Thanks for posting the pictures. I didnt get there til after 1 oclock. I brought the wife and kids so I didnt bring the caddy plus 95 has been a parking lot and my beast doesnt like stop and go traffic. It was the wifes first time to a drag race. it was great seeing the older cars going down the track.

4. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks for posting the pics. I bet the paint on that blue 33 Willys was killer back in the day. Anyone have any more pics of it. The headlight pods almost look like they were grafted back in, and the headlights them selves have been modified to sit more vertically.

5. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Great pics, looks like it was a fun time.

6. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

7. Great pics, Gary. Thanks for posting them. Who owns that oh so sweet '32 5 window? Is that Jacks and Deuces? It is very nice....Don.

8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Thanks for sharing those geat pictures. I really wanted to make it back for this but it didn't work out. Next year...:D

9. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Thanks for the pics. Did you possibly get any shots,,other than the hood,, of the Jolly Dolly?? My all time favorite gasser.

10. very nice pics thanks

11. Didn't realize until you mentioned it. Just saw the hood as well. One of my all time favorites also, along with Leroy's Toy. Both cars always looked like they were ready for the show floor. Did they run gas class or B/ Modified Production? It's been a long time since I watched them at Aquasco.:)....Don.

12. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

For the third year in the row, the Gore's put on a great show....and luckily the rain stayed away.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a picture of our car up against the jolly dolly just like they did it back in the old days. The event was fantastic. It's the first year that my husband and i made the trip and it was well worth it. It's the first time that this car or the driver has been down a race track. We only ran it to the 330ft point just trying to get a feel for what the car was going to do. They didn't let us do burn outs as we were just exhibition cars. It was alot of fun being out there. It was pretty cool being on a track with as much history as this one has. The gore's did a great job with the event and thankfully the rain stopped and it was a great day. The car also did great. It launched straight and i ran decent times to the 330 mark. Keep in mind that this is a street car with 354 grears in the rear and it's running on 10 1/2" bias ply cheeter slicks. We were honored to meet chuck stolze who started the S&S team. Had a great time!![​IMG]

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another shot of us running our good friends paul and pam balash in their beautiful 1942 willys gasser.[​IMG]

15. Great pics. Thanks for posting them. Post more if you have them, please....Don.

16. oj

oj

It was a great time, the cars were incredible and there are more of them every year. the Gores' spend the whole year putting this event together, this is very important to them. That track started racing on dirt back in the early 50's and is the oldest active drag strip east of the Mississippi.
    Somebody asked about that '32 5window, that car belongs to Ed Kowalski. He brought that car (not a similar one, but that car in the photo) to race and won Top Eliminator in 1957. It is the real deal. Ed and, his son, E.J. Kowalski came down from Pennsylvania, they had just gotten back from Bonneville where they set a record.

17. Yeah...I noticed that green hood right away...as Bob Bernardon's '39 Chevy. I worked with Bob for years in the stone & tile business..he was a real character. He OWNED the "C" Gas class all through the 60's ..although I bet Charlie Hill & Porky Zartman in their "Filthy Forty" would have a few words to say about that.Bob passed away in Feb.2007..but I did manage to see "Jolly Dolly" restored to its former glory by Bob & Charlie Gauthier at a car show in Chantilly just before that.

Sorry I missed this event.

18. As requested!

Attached Files:

19. some more!

Attached Files:

20. one more

Attached Files:

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That blue 33 willys was very very cool. It had alot of patina going for it.
    Gasser Girl

22. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Gasser Girl....it was great seeing the Filthy Forty clone on the strip. Always enjoy seeing it at York 30, but watching it on the track was even better. It was especially fitting this year with Pork's passing.

BTW, for those not familiar with Old Dominion, it's been continuously operated since 1953. Next to Pomona, I don't know of any other strip that's lasted that long.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lee,
    All of the meets that we have gone to this year was because of pork. We were so fortunate to have gotten to know him and call him our friend over the last 6 years. We miss him greatly. We wish he could have been there to see the car go down the track next to the jolly dolly.
    Gasser Girl

24. varodder

varodder

Nice pics Gary, thanks. Looks like it was a nice event.
    Colin

25. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Here are some shots my son took of the SWC Willys with the S&S team and his 57 150 Sedan.

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

26. Very sad news fellow racers and fans. Ed Kowalski who's Hemi powered, channeled Model A coupe is pictured above, died this morning of an apparent heart attack. Ed and EJ had just returned from a successful, record breaking trip to Bonneville, switched cars and headed down to Old Dominion for the weekend reunion.

27. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rich,
    Very sorry to hear about this. We didn't know him but lots of prayers to his family. You just never know do you.
    Gasser Girl

28. Sad news, indeed. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

29. Godspeed. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ed but have admired his accomplishments for years.

Attached Files:

30. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

My thoughts and prayers are with the Kowalski family.....sad news indeed.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com