Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

I'm with the, that's a FUGLY Ass truck crowd.. Sorry, I"m a Ford guy, but damn!

2. Put a series 1 2 or 3 xj6 / xj12 ifs under it . The swap is so simple you'd swear ol Henry saw it coming! Means decent brakes and power steering all in one swap . If you have a wander through my albums you'll find photos of a '46 pickup frame I did with Jaguar ifs / irs .
    Any questions just holler .

3. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Hi Tim, I agree the truck looks great in red, really like the chop.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's kind of why I like them! They definitely have a face that only a mother could love! Or possibly a father if he was really drunk... Besides, ya gotta go home with the ugliest girl at the bar just once in life, right!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. They look good and I like em!
    Remember when I was a kid and the local theatre owner had one - probably bought it new. Parked it up town and I walked by it many times. He had boards on the bed sides and stuck on the latest show posters for all the cheezy films. Kinda a work truck and rolling billboard! Used chicken wire to keep the posters in place. From a distance ya didn't notice the chicken wire! Eventually painted it a cream color. That truck is still here in town but the only problem is it's not mine...

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I like 'em - the fact that they're not main stream just adds to their appeal for me.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I just got mine running. I made a grille more to my liking - sorta like a '41 Willys. That and a 3" top chop and a really baddaass -sounding 460 Ford should haul my race car OK.

ins01.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    volvobrynk likes this.
  8. FTF,

The 460 ought to do better than ok.

Almost looks like a Morris Minor truck front end on steriods!

Consider posting the build on the Ford Jailbar Truck Owners Group.

9. eary 50's ford trucks i believe had a better front end style to them, but there's nothing wrong with that truck.

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

46trk_finalasasy07_2.jpg 46trk_finalasasy08_3.jpg
    Here it is at a local car show, next to our '33 Willys coupe:

The beach umbrella fits into a receptacle that slides into the trailer hitch reciever.

I still have to get new tires and wheels - I'm thinkin' wide whites and moon discs...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  11. octobeak

octobeak

heres mine about a month and a half ago, on the road but still lots to do!

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Price and power are the most commonly cited reasons for Fords popularity and the main reason for their use as traditional hotrods until about 1955 but excellent styling is a trademark for Ford.
    It was so rare for Ford to screw up on styling that the 46/7 pickups stand alone among all the pickups that Ford made in the traditional hotrod period that had mostly ended by the time the musclecar era started

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. jamn47

jamn47

I always liked them cause their ugly, they won't cheat on you! Plus a boat load of 48-52 suspension parts interchange, except drag link.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Iv'e owned mine about 20 years now. That face grows on ya.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    chopper99 likes this.
  15. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Here's one that was at a local show.

Attached Files:

16. Here is a '46 Merc and a 2 ton Ford that I pulled the engine from in a local junkyard.

Attached Files:

17. I just found this on my computer too. It was in a junkyard aswell

Attached Files:

18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Here are a few grill treatments I did on these Fords.

Attached Files:

19. jailbar

jailbar
    from newzealand

I love jailbar's something about the way they look and easy to build .Getting harder to find in new zealand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Try reducing the size of the grill opening - I think it looks better.
    [​IMG]

21. Here's my recently acquired 2-ton...
    [​IMG]

And this is the concept drawing I came up with to build a KOOL car hauler out of it !!!
    [​IMG]

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Man, that is a cool concept. I like the grill treatment especially the Cord-like scallop louvers. I think instead of dual rear tires I'd use one wider tire, like many of the big OTR rigs now use. And I would incorporate storage lockers into the side panels too. Do it!

23. keithreid

keithreid

I like the concept, but it really looks like nothing more than a 40-41 1 ton or larger truck with a 1/2 ton pickup front clip on it. That'll make the parts fairly easy to find for the conversion.
    Keith

24. ^ X2. I agree. It's got a bit of a butterface but it looks way better than that monstrosity that Ford made with the 11th gen F series.

25. The only body part left stock will be the hood. I wasn't looking at any other models when I drew it, but yes, I do like the earlier front treatment. My plan was to build the grill and then shape the front of the fenders after raising them in relationship with the cab to make room for the tires. Extra room will be required after channeling the cab and dropping the stock axle - The fender tops may even end up higher than my concept drawing to get it as low as possible. I may even consider air bags. I'd like to use as much of the stock 'heavy' parts as possible, including the big drums and split ring wheels, but mated to a "modern" turbo Diesel (power Stroke or maybe even a 'Cat')

26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I still pass them up unless they are real cheap. There is only a few chassis items you can sell and you can't give away the sheet metal from one, especially the front end.

27. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I love these old trucks. Someday ill get one...

28. hershambob

hershambob

[​IMG]
    for sale in the classifieds

29. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I say that if it's what YOU like and want,...enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone has their own idea of what's "great", or "looks good",........

The best rides are the ones thaat are paid for......

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!! 4TTRUK

30. MoodyBlue

MoodyBlue

I purchased my 1942 because of the Build date. Dec, 07 1941. I've had it for a few decades.:D I bought it War Surplus and it still has the Army Green Paint and Mud Grip Tires. It will be my next restoration project. :)