Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

They aren't 40's but they still look good when they are in the weeds.

2. They gotta sit right..... otherwise its not happening !

Attached Files:

• 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I got a friend with a glass frontend like that and cant give it away I think they are OK but you could use a 40 nose on it :D

4. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Chopped, sub-framed, shortened. Dad let me drive it to high skool prior to surgery.

Attached Files:

5. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Does anybody have a stock color chart for these trucks? I am thinking about painting my truck and I want to know if there are any good looking stock colors for these trucks before I just pull a color out of thin air...

Online color charts are a good start, hint, hint...

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Your paint store's books don't go back that far?

7. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I had a '46. Wish I stil had it. Nice truck.

8. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Finally put my hood back on. I haven't run a hood in well over a year, I just took it off to do something to the engine and never put it back on. Now that I have working wipers (Thanks New Port Engineering) and a hood, I can drive it and not really worry about getting caught in the rain.

[​IMG]

9. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

That is the second one I have seen with those rear fenders, are they F-1 fenders?

10. rustyhood

rustyhood

Mine is still in the making! [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Here's a pic of mine From Del Mar Good Guys. There was another one there that was dark red with white trim that looks restored on the outside, but it has a fuel injected late model Ford engine, 4-wheel discs, A/C, power steering and all of the stuff that makes it drive like a brand new car...

[​IMG]

12. Jail42

Jail42
    from Australia

Hi Folks

I know the Jailbar wasn't the most popular here in Australia as the choice for a hotrod, but recently I have seen many coming of the the farms and into the magazines for sale, some are selling for as much as $5K. I found mine on a farm, the Farmer gave it to me, so I reckon you gotta like that, it was an ex army truck, it even had a hatch in roof, that was a job and a half filling in the hole.

some pics of what I started with and to where it is now, still a bit to go, some people said I was mad and it should have gone to scrap, but it was just a challenge and i have enjoyed every minute of it.

If you want to know about the chassis drop me email.

Jail42

Attached Files:

13. I knew that face was familiar

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. They are , '48-'52 . I figured they match the shape of the fronts better

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. desertdroog

desertdroog

Here is one I saw at the Lone Star Roundup #9
    [​IMG]

I dig them. Just like the 57-59 Trucks, they have an industrial look to them. Purpose built and no frills.

oldrelics likes this.
  16. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

heres mine a 46 i beleive

Attached Files:

17. draggin breath

draggin breath

I have a '40 pickup that I can't find a PU front sheetmetal for. I wonder if a butt ugly front would look better shortened 2 inches? It would fit over the car style chassis and get me on the road. Would someone photoshop a '42-'47 with the nose shortened,both ahead of and behind the front wheels?

18. 4x4fordkid

4x4fordkid

I think they are pretty cool myself. I think one would look cool sitting on a 4x4 frame with 35's under it. That's just me though. There are a couple sitting around my area, love to get my hands on one of them, but knowone seems to want to part with anything around hear. They would rather let them rust into the ground than part with anything. I guess I shouln't judge, I got a '64 Ford f250 next to my garage that I will never part with. I'm gonna build it someday.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

I've got a 1947 Jailbar 1/2 ton - coming soon (sitting in a garage in Florida at the moment).

Has the original flathead and 3-speed in it, although it falls out of gear while driving, so I have a replacement tranny.

Really love Chris' or wutnxt's trucks - I want to do same. Keep it mostly stock but lower it slighty.

Chris - do you have a thread covering the mods you'll do to the current one you have?

Would love mine to look like this:

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Oh man, I didn’t need to see this thread. There’s an abandoned looking “jailbar” dump truck I drive by every day...

I can be happy with a Mazda...I can be happy with a Mazda...I can be happy with a Mazda...

-Dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, I just looked at my last post date on this thread, and it was one year ago. Unfortunately, my '42 had to go Bye Bye this spring when things got a little close money wise. I do look out at it's space and miss it's ugly mug sometimes, but I can't be too sad 'cause it's on the road buzzing around Tucson as we speak. Some day I will find another and really do things the way I wanted rather than try to redo what previous owner saw as a vision. I need to find one in about the same shape as Chris's. In retrospect, here are some really crappy pictures of mine.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I'm redoing my 45 now it was yellow now red it looks alot better. I'm gong to sell it when its done.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I have a soft spot for these trucks. My grandfather had a pickup and a 1 ton both '47's on his farm when I was growing up (got to drive both before I was 10 years old). He also had a '47 school bus that I rode to school the first day of first grade (and every school day until 3rd grade). That bus ended up donating the engine for my first hot rod (a '29 av8) that I built at 16 years old and drove the rest of high school and the first 2 years of college.
    The only thing I would do to one today is get the grille bars chromed and leave the front end sheet metsl stock.

Frank

24. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Has anyone else put one of these on a Ranger Chassis? Currently doing this, and it's going to work fairly well. Longer front fenders, are a bonus on this swap. 40 fenders wouldn't work quite as well.

25. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I know someone who put one on an S-10 chassis, but no on the Ranger chassis

26. 46fordmaster

46fordmaster
    from Indio Ca

I think the front ends are both ugly and interesting.They look mean driving down the road... All stock with flat 6..Love IT!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Agreed. This Merc grill looks like something from Russia. (everything from Russia looks a little 'out of step')

chopper99 likes this.
  28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I gotta disagree guys, when I had mine I used to dream of finding a Merc grill for it. Probably would still have it if I did.'Course as far as taste, this is a guy that loves his '48 Plymouth...

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. fortynut

fortynut

They are what they are. Changing the grille to something other than what it is, is like putting an English saddle on a mule and dyeing his tail pink. He's still a mule. Sorry, if I sound gruff but I feel like some of those who have put their two cents worth in and said they like them, too. I've seen the Mercury truck grille before, and thought it was a GM. Not many of those to choose from, in cotton country. The '42-'47 cabs are the same as the '40-'41. The larger truck cabs can be made into either style, if you can find the front sheet metal. Now that's what I really like, because the bigger trucks are everywhere and still reasonable. They sat up high, and even if they're junked most are still not on the ground. If you want one, get it soon, you know they're the next thing, just 'cause of this thread with the pictures of the really nice ones that give you an idea of what can be done to them without making them into a Toyota clone that looks like a bar of soap. To me, even though I'm a forty nut, they look damn good!

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. art.resi

art.resi

Drive Buy?

Atwater Mike and volvobrynk like this.