Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Think I Made The Right Wheel Choice! '64 Sport Fury Leaves The Garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al K, Aug 23, 2010.

1. First,I apologize for my very out-of-place rant last week. I won't go further on that subject.

I was barely able to get the Sport Fury out of the garage(the trans slips a lot) but wanted to clean it up and see how the stance and the wheel/tire combo looked. I'm pleased on virtually all counts. Might raise it about an inch in the front. I thought the 3400# S/S springs would have raised the rear a bit more,my clearance is a wee bit tight. I'll know when I drive it.

Props-BIG props-to Rally America for some stunning wheels. I had considered Cragar S/S' and Americans,and then found a pic of the Blair's Speed Shop '64 Belvedere with the same wheels,and there was no other choice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now,I may have to contact RA about a different offset rear wheel. These are their standard 15X8,4-1/4" b.s. pieces;I love the deep look in the back. However...

[​IMG]

Not much clearance,Clarence. I may have to get some made with 5" back-spacing. Tires are 255-70R15;dimensionally very close to an old slick from way back. Fronts are 205-75R15's.

Hoping to get the in-car trans rebuilt within a couple of weeks,and hopefully make the Frankenmuth show. Lot's of nice B-Bodies show up;I'd like to have mine there as well. For the most part,I just want to drive this beauty!

Now,BIG props again to Legendary Interiors;the front seats look great,and I plan to redo the entire interior(down the road-wa-a-a-ay down the road) with their stuff. Kudos to A-1 Upholstery in New Lothrop,Michigan for putting the pieces together in fine fashion. Good folks and they do any kind of work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the folks here for advice on the wheels and interior questions I had. Rolling soon,I hope-there's plenty of driving season left here in the Lower Great White North.

2. fbama73

fbama73

I agree on the wheel choice- they're killer!

I don't think I'd raise it in the front, but that's just me.

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Dunno if your comfy with this option or not but it looks like your right on the backspacing issue....that said you need a little room for fudge factor....(I get that) That said why dont you roll the lip of the fender well?

I made a tool (like the expensive Eastwoods tool) that rolls the lip of the well without damage to paint, just gotta work slow and carefull...

4. storm king

storm king

I wouldn't raise the front, but with torsion bars its easy to change back and fourth. I think it's stance, and wheels, are perfect. '64 Plymouth's are my favorite!

5. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Great car, great wheels and great stance..... love the roof line on those. I actually agree with you on raising the front about an inch or so.....
    Good luck getting the trans problem solved and clean up that driveway!! :D
    Mike

6. I really like the car and it's attitude. Excellent wheel choice too.

7. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Excellent wheel choice--- shoulda threw something under the car to catch all of that tranny fluid though!

8. F&J

F&J

I agree to raise it in the front. Back in that era, they were not that low....besides, you may not be able to get the camber/caster correct with it that low, without modding the A arms.

Liking the wheels too.

9. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

10. mauro d-100

mauro d-100

thats rocks dude!

11. Looks great with those wheels.:cool:

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I can't even look at the wheels with all the fluid under the car! It's like looking at the new shoes worn by a gunshot victim! :D

It does look nice, btw. I'd roll the lip, like was suggested, AFTER I fixed the trans! :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, the car looks really good with those wheels and tires. I totally agree with the rear fender lip rolling for clearance.

Done carefully it can be done with no paint damage. If you do damage the paint, a touch up spray of the lip with the proper paint is pretty easy anyway.

Is that a huge puddle of trans fluid in your pictures ? What's the story on that ?

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Looks good. I think you might have a small leak though ! :D

15. The look and stance are great. Roll the lip for clearance and drive it!

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Couldn't be any more perfecter.

17. 65 impala

65 impala

looks really good

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Dang looks good ,wheels and interior but get the tranny leak fixed .must be one hell of a leak.

19. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Wow,it's spot on perfect!
    I'd sit and ogle it,then drive the wheels off of it!

20. Looks great. But, if you raise the front, make it THREE inches:D (Super Stock style)

21. RUSTALOT

RUSTALOT
    from GA.

Great wheel choice, I wouldnt change the stance if you didnt have to.

22. robertsregal

robertsregal

23. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i like crager ss, but thats me, love the car

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looks perfect!!! It reminds me of the American Graffiti car (Richie Cunningham's) which is awesome because it's my favorite car in that movie!

25. Huh? I'm drawing a blank on Ron Howard's car looking like that in AG:confused:

26. CruZer

CruZer

Your car brings back some great memories for me. I had a black '64 Sport Fury 318 auto. back in 1967. I put the same wheels w/ whitewalls on mine. Coilover shocks in the back and cranked torsion bars on the front for the gasser look. Red interior and all .

Me and my friends would go out raising hell in that car and stick Budweiser bottle labels to the seats because the red and white matched so well.

Yours looks good lowered.
    Thanks for the memories!!!

Glenn

27. C.Raynes

C.Raynes

You can roll those a bit without any sort of issue(paint cracks). Take an old baseball back and wrap some duct tape around it and you have a make shift fender roller. When you do it use a bit of heat(blow dryer is safe) on the area were your rolling and if you take your time and do it carefully you will make as much clearance as you could possibly need. Because that thing sings beautifully how could you want to change that!

28. I would NOT do that. If you're suggesting rolling between the well and the tire(?), the strength of that lip, and that's why it's there, will cause the 1/4 panel to buckle way before the desired affect

29. C.Raynes

C.Raynes

To each his own I suppose. If the bat thing is scary, just rent an eastwood fender roller. Ive rolled 20-30 fenders with that with muchhhh success and if done slow enough with heat you wont have an issue. But again do this at your own discretion opinions will be biased.