Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage General Gow Goes to Bonneville, and the HAMB drags, and Nashville, and...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 2, 2010.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the duct tape is to block the sun from coming in the sides. it was so bright that my eyes were stinging and watering really bad. i duct taped the sides and it fixed everything. see, duct tape really does solve every problem.

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Illegal Canadians making a run for the border?

Great pics, keep'em coming.

3. gonzo

gonzo

Jim came up with this exact same "upgrade" while on the salt. I found that the glasses that were being sold on the salt worked way better than anything I had brought with me though. 20 bucks well spent. How long until you leave Utah?

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

we're in vernal now on the colorado border. we hope to get past denver tonight and into jay's pretty early tomorrow.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

It was great meeting you two. What a cool trip! Congrats on making it happen. See you next year?

Brady (big mac)

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Thats an awful funny way to tape your sideburns on...:confused:

7. This has been a great read. Looks like Mark's Excellent Adventure is going real smooth and we're as jealous as hell!

Good luck on the rest of your trip and see you at the TyRods Reunion.

Dennis

8. I saw your car at the nugget, I love it!, nice and simple.

9. Good to meet you at the "Bend" next time we can talk longer. My Kathy likes the whole story of your trip, said she enjoyed saying Hi to you guys. ;)

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

Sounds and looks like you guys are having a blast...Its those trips that make the memorable memories..haha Hope to make it up to Ty Rods again this year, maybe I can meet up with you guys

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

made it to jay's safe and sound. will try to get some pics up tomorrow. off to bed now...

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

When you get home will Richie and I, Be allowed to converse with you?

13. rebelrat

rebelrat

Hey Mark
    Good to meet you at the bend glad to see your next leg is going to plan I just rolled into Joplin (thursday)and Im at the KOA off I 44 if you need a shower or anything
    Andy

14. 18n57

18n57

It was great to meet you and Becky. Got home today..had a fantastic time. Hope all goes well for the rest of your travels...

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

good morning Mark and becky looks like lots of fun

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Hay guys how is it going

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, here are a few pics from vernal to denver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at the top...my gps said 11,003 ft. not sure what the official elevation is. i just know the poor little coupe did all it could to make it to the top. but it got there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we were tired when we finally got to denver, so i pulled over and took a nap.

[​IMG]

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

we hung out with mike (barn find t) and one of his boys. we had awesome gluten free pizza and beer at a littl place called city-o-city, but i forgot to take pics. then we went out for ice cream and a little tour of the city at sunset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nothing like neon to advertise your mortuary, right next door to an ice cream place. mike made an interesting point about it being a 'six feet under' moment. life in the shadow of death, and all that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

foster couldn't wait to get to the front of the line for his ice cream...

[​IMG]

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

in the morning we were off to the sweet family farm to hang out with my buddy nosurf.

[​IMG]

leave it to kansas to put fake-non-shade-providing-palm-trees at a truck stop instead of planting real trees that might, oh i don't know, shade me for a bit. we ate a lunch of left over pizza in the shade of a phillips 66 sign instead. 97*. thanks kansas.

[​IMG]

so, where is the friendliest yarn store?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

almost there...

[​IMG]

finally.

[​IMG]

more ice cream!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how many hot rodders does it take to change the oil in a '54 ford?

[​IMG]

one of the horses looking on:

[​IMG]

loaded up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

at the drags:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the blistering speed of a 239 y-block took me to a 21.33 1/4 at 63 mph. i am a force to be reckoned with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

who's number one? nosurf and the 'pole dancer'. oh yeah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the evening after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the end of the drags is always bittersweet. this one was by far the best of the 3 i have been to, at least for me. the adventures i experienced to get there. the friends new and old that i got to see. the relationships i got to build on, block by block, visit by visit. it's a truly special time, and everyone should experience it. not just once, but many times. it's how they get better.

it’s like that when friends’ paths intersect. You want to just stay in the crossroads forever. The meals shared, the laughs, the time spent face to face. But each person’s journey calls them back to the road eventually and we part with smiles on our faces and tears in our eyes. We are willing to part because we have the faith that we will meet again, and we know that we have our own roads to travel. It’s the sublime human experience that no metaphor can do justice.

so, we are longing for home. and we have decided to leave memphis and nashville for another adventure, and point the car towards home. i think this is where the story ends in many ways. the road we travel home now is a quiet one. and i am sure there are things to see, and i'll record those things here. but there is a certain silence now that is unavoidable. there isn't room in my brain right now for more sound. we'll avoid interstates as much as possible, but still shoot to arrive home tuesday night so that we can spend a day at home before returning to work on thursday. and, i miss my kids. and my bed.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

24. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Looks like a fun trip! Here's a pic of your Ford I took at the hotel Friday night. Do you get the long distance award??? :D

[​IMG]

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very nice words my brother.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

1500 miles from Boston to Joplin. But he had to go and be an over achiever and go via Bonneville. :D

28. General !! I must say I'm impressed as you drove the crap out of that Ford knowing it had to take you back home !!! >>>>.

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

30. Firepig

Firepig

Sure miss Ed Debevics here in Phoenix :( What a great trip and what a great girl you've got there that enjoys it with you. She's a keeper!