Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bucket Seats for a 38 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lan240, Aug 22, 2010.

1. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I am at the point that I need to find a set of bucket seats for my 38 Chevy sedan. What seats will work the best. I was going to hit the local wercking yard and wanted to see what everyone has used in there car.

2. long island vic

long island vic

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used seats out of a Chevrolet Monza (late 70's) in my 38 Chevrolet Coupe back in the 80's, a friend reupholstered them, I thought they were extremely comfortable, but they may be a little hard to find now.

4. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I have a set of fiero seats in it now and don't like the way they look.

5. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

my buddy had '69 camaro buckets in his '38 chevy coupe. they fit in ok but just didnt look right. he went and got a small bench with the cut out from an '89 or so ranger/isuzu truck and had it reupholstered. looks great, fits nicely and has a cut out for the shifter

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had some 60's chevelle buckets in my 38 Coupe back in the 70's. Now I have an S-10 bench seat in it. I like the bench better.

7. I use a Chev Luv bench in the coupe..

8. historynw

historynw

Some of the newer Chevy suv stuff works great if you need comfort and seatbelts. I have a set of Monte Carlo ones for my 47.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

I have 1 60s Econoline bucket you could buy, but you'd have to find another. They're simple and narrow

10. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

Does anyone have pictures of there bucket seats. I need to go this weekend and see what I can find.

11. ...here's a pic of my Honda seats in my 37 Chev coupe during mock-up,...bought these probly 15 years ago at a swapmeet, they fit nice and are very comfortable,.. the headrest do remove easily also. 37-8 Chevs aren't real wide so you need to look for smaller cars for seats.

If you want a bench,I think S-10 or Ranger seats mite work well too, or the 3rd seat from an earlier Astro Van, as they don't have headrests.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Can I ask why you need to have buckets? I've never been fond of the headrest style bucket seat look in an old car or truck, they just look out of place unless you're doing an all-out modern build.

A narrow bench upholstered in a period-looking pattern seems like the way to go. A friend of mine is pulling a '37 Chevy 2 door sedan out of the woods hopefully this weekend, it has individual front seats in it from the factory, those have the 1930's look to them.

13. wkrman

wkrman

I used seats from a early Mazda 626, the passanger seat automaticaly slides forward when you tilt the seatback making it easy getting in the back seat, and you can remove the headrests and still have plenty of back support.

14. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I like the look of buckets better and currently have a hand brake mounted between the seats. The seats currently in the car do not have a removable head rest hance the reason for new seats.

15. mj40's

mj40's

I used the stock bench in my 38 but went with 99 Dodge Intrepid in my 40 Ford Coupe. They fit well and very comfortable and sure they would fit the 38 as well.
    The headrests will remove as well.

Attached Files:

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Back when I had my 40 Chevy coupe, I went searching for seats to replace the wore out ones. I settled on late model Firebird buckets. They were of course too thin to be bolted direct on the floor. I found that front seat pedestals from a Chevy Astro van are the perfect height for mounting bucket seats.

17. Buckster

Buckster

I talked to an upholster, recently, who said he uses Firebird bucket seats. He said the driver's seat has a feature that allows it to move vertically. He said it mounts to a flat floor when the front tabs are reworked. He didn't mention what year had this feature.

18. '63 Impala but they won't be easy to find.

Some of the older fellas around here are kind of partial to Neon Seats. I don't like the high backs but they are pretty comfortable.

19. wkrman

wkrman

The Mazda is a bucket seat with about 4 inches between them and the back will lay down flat

20. hot rust

hot rust

not sure of the year that he's speaking of but i used a pair of 98 firebird buckets and removed the headrests. super comfortable and to me are the right size for the interior. hope this helps, hot rust.

21. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Early '60's T-Birds are cool, they have nice chrome too.

22. badlefihand

badlefihand

Take a look at older Chrysler Sebring. Narrow enough and seat belts are in seats plus center console w/ E brake can be mod.

23. 80's grand am seats always work for me...remove the headrests before using.

24. Steve from PA

Steve from PA

I have 85 Chrysler leBaron with the headrests removed in my 38 Sedan. Very comfortable.