Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Dave! Some great history on some people involved literally from the start of stock car racing as we know it today, and drag racing as well. I always heard the Ramchargers team was originally a group of Chrysler engineers.

2. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's a couple of cars from a '71 Tri-County race. The #33 car is one of those great Stan Yee cars and I believe it is Marv Parentau. The #70 car is a question. The sponsor is Ruttman Mini-Bikes. Could this be Joe Ruttman ?

Enjoy.

The Oldtimer [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

The 70 is definitely Joe Ruttman. I have several pics of him running that car at I-70. Although Joe ran a lot of different cars, 70 was always "his" number.

4. Steelking22

Steelking22

re: Post 3560

I almost choked on my popcorn when I read that Hodges Dodge is now a SUBARU dealer. As Hank Hill would say, "That ain't right."

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

roflmao!!!

6. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's another set of photos in my "Evolutionary" series. This is Bob Bower, a Columbus driver who raced around the Ohio area for many years. He always had MOPARS, and always #6, and managed to have Worthman Bro's Auto Parts sponsorship on all of them. These shots span a three or four year range.

Enjoy. The Oldtimer.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dr. John

Dr. John

NHL goaltender Andy Brown gets into trouble at Cayuga Speedway (Nelles Corners, Ontario) in 1972.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  8. BKHRS

BKHRS

I still have a bunch more pages to go, but I couldn't wait anymore. Here are some pics of Smokey's Chevelle. Per his book when he found it years after he sold it it was too far gone to restore so he recreated it. It is currently owned by a couple in Ukiah California. Included are shots of another Chevelle for comparison. One of the things he did was move the front suspension forward, instead of setting the motor back, he had also figured out that by drilling a hole in each primary pipe a certain distance from the heads he got more power.

9. BKHRS

BKHRS

Here's some more pics from the same event, a few years ago at Sears Point

10. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

the early 60's model has to be one my favorite, maybe not in factory trim, but as a racecar, wow!:cool:

11. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

12. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  13. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

i guess i meant the earlier one, the one in the middle, what model is this anyway, 1960 maybe?

14. Tracy Figaro

Tracy Figaro

I would have given anything to see him race Just once, I am a little Jealous for Those that have.

15. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

1966 ford galaxie 500

16. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

to all starracing.hi we had to change the rear clip because ivan baldwin rear ended joe at speedway 605. but it did have some welding done on the a+b posts like it was raised up after being copped.

17. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

18. jrose7004

jrose7004

Sam Rose, no relation but interesting!

19. allstarracing

allstarracing

Hey mod wrench. Yes I helped Joe and paul. I left you a private message. Hope you get it. if not try again. Those were the good old days. Allstarracing

20. Steelking22

Steelking22

I found this neat pic on the Mt. Lawn (Indiana) historic website. The caption is all mine ... that's sooooome style.

"Anticipating continued set-up problems, Daryl decided to go to the track prepared for further activity that evening. A quick splash of Hai Karate and he would be ready for the Watusi contest at the Dew Drop Inn." :cool:

21. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's a shot from a 1970 Tri-County ARCA Race. This is Billy Teegarden, who did run an occasional local ARCA race - as long as it was on dirt. I asked this question on another site - Did Billy ever run on asphalt ? Just curious. I never saw him run anywhere but Tri-County and a couple of Kentucky tracks.

Enjoy - the Oldtimer

[​IMG]

22. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep, I've seen pics of Billy T running asphalt late models at Winchester and Pensacola.

23. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

scotty cain on the gas at ascot.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  24. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

way cool 57 ford at saugus speedway. socal

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  25. OldDirtHed

OldDirtHed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][Based on limited research, these pics seem to be from the Oakland Ca area mid 50s

26. OldDirtHed

OldDirtHed

Ah the days of Larry Phillips, Lester and Johnny Friebe, Dave Goldsberry, John Kindig, "Wee" Willie Crane, Fred Tiede, Don Kordallis, Fred Tullis, Roger Chisum, Bud McKee, Corky Wynn, and countless others on a Friday night at the Fairgrounds Speedway in Springfield.

27. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

the one the only clem procter at riverside racway

28. mod wrench

mod wrench
    from usa

at saugus a long time ago the great ron hornaday

29. DDRE

DDRE
    from Michigan

I dont think the hole in the headers was for more power, it was a quick way for Smokey to look in and see that the cylinder was firing.

30. k9racer

k9racer

may thermocouples.. I myself had the holes so I could slip a peice of wire under the exhalst valve while being P&G tested for cubic inches. it made the cyl leak and not load the vessel correctly so a 360 cid engine read around 310 cid. fooled the tech guy and lots of other folks you a while until they caught on.