Register now to get rid of these ads!

would a front i beam suspension on a 65 ford truck work for a 30 ford coupe???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93blazer4dr, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

so i bought my mom a 1930 ford 5 window coupe and im building it but still leaning also. i got the frame for it and the front i beam but i didnt get any hubs or spindles just the i beam its self. i was wondering if the i beam on a 65 ford f100 will work the same or would it be to wide?
    any help will be nice help point me in the right direction thanks every1

2. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

You probably need to learn a little more before you tackle this project. #1. 65 Fords have twin I Beam axles. I'm trying to be nice and polite and not rip you like many would do for posting this. Technically yes you have a I beam axle with your model A, but you need to do some research. Is it a 1930 Model A axle, or is it something somebody just threw in with the deal. Pictures are always helpful if you need identification. About the only thing that would work from the 65 is the wheels and tires to get it rolling. The wheels don't actually fit the drums correctly. Please get some help from an older person on this before you rush into it with youthful enthusiasm and screw up a good car. The hubs and spindles off the 65 will not fit. Perhaps you mean a 64 Ford pickup which was the last year for straight axles? Way too wide, spindles won't work. As I said earlier, find a knowledgeable person to help you. The axle you have might be adaptable, or good trading stock. Hope this helps.

3. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

ok well thats what i was thinking. the problem i have is putting a car back to stock because everything i build is 100% custom with no stock parts so im trying to learn what to look for with these old cars.

i was thinking about putting it on a ifs and irs suspension but it wouldnt look right

4. thesupersized

thesupersized

stick to 93 blazer 4 doors

5. davis574ord

davis574ord

Youcan use a dropped axle and the drums and king pins from a 57-60 ford f-100 that what im doin works fine! Then u have the same bolt pattern as rear 5 on 5 1/2"!

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100% Custom............................... BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    You need to READ a LOT before entering into a Hot Rod project. You are showing an impressive naivete there.

Doc

7. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Ok, just because I'm patient I'll work with you a little more. Model A's, and all Ford cars use straight axles with a buggy spring up until 1948. Preferred parts. However, Ford pickups use straight axles from 1942 - 1964, these use parallel leaf springs. davis574ord says the axle will work from a 57 - 60 Ford pickup. 57 - 60's are narrower than 61 - 64's so it works, but what spring did he use? Also, you need to switch the rear axle, again what spring to use, or suspension set up. As stated please get some help. Don't just pickup a magazine and say "I can do that". Many good cars ruined from idiots flipping through magazines.

8. Just out of aesthetics I wouldn't run one - wether you can "make it work" or not. Here are a couple of pics from Sid's site. Stock Model A on top:

[​IMG]

Stock 61 - 64 on top:

[​IMG]

Totally different looks.

9. Not trying to stir anything up here, but what have you previously built?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the first order of business is to figure out what axle came with the car and if you can use it or even want to use it.

There is some pretty good info on identifying early Ford axles here http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13788&sid=0218341c0143e5492733db12dd1912a8

Then if you have a proper axle that you actually want to run figure out what spindles and brakes you want to run.

There are a lot of things that fit but trying to cobble up something that isn't intended to be on that car/frame to begin with just because it is on a doner truck out back in the field is usually a great way to make a mess out of things. That same F100 that has the twin I beam front end that won't work may have a nice nine inch in back that will work though.

11. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

thanks for the info i do have a understanding of what im getting into and i was asking because someone i no told me it could work so i asked. if you dont ask you dont no and im sure every1 on here had to ask questions besides just reading.

soon as i get the parts for the front and get a rear end ill get pics posted for a project thread on here so watch out for it.

12. dmw56

dmw56

A 100% Custom 93 Blazer 4 door!

13. F&J

F&J

Hey 93Blazer...what happened to that cool split winshield 32 Chrysler body you had...I think it was you? :)

Anyways, many early ford transverse type axles are around and many years will work. I would go that route. Study the differences on some threads in case you run across some in your area for cheap. Much less work dealing with the traditional type front ends in my opinion.

14. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Sounds like maybe, you might be willing to learn something. There is hope. Ask questions and lots of them. Read all the info you can find. There are a few good books out there on building your first Hot Rod, several are Model a specific. Get a different Avatar, this site is for traditional Rods, then you'll gain a little more respect. Or do none of the above and be prepared to have your ass handed to ya.

15. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Agreed.
    Educating yourself before you jump into the project is the key.
    Good luck

16. HotRod31

HotRod31

Bags + some paint = 100% custom ?????????

17. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

F&J yeah i still got the 32 chrysler im building it also just havent put any up dates on here about it and im still on the fence about what front suspenion i want if i want the i beam or ifs.
    thanks for your input.

i have been learning different things about hot rods the only thing im having a problem with is finding the front suspension for this car and what parts can work with the suspension

thanks for the pointers but im not changing my pic just to get more respect id rather do more then change a pic to get it im not a ass kisser.

18. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

It's not about kissin ass, it's about fittin in. Just sayin. Why not a picture of your Chrysler in the Avatar, that would be cool. Stay off the attitude, listen and learn. tryin to help ya. If i hadn't jumped in first I gaurantee ya, you would have got your ass ripped hard.

19. I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing contest with any of the previous posters nor do I give a shit what picture you choose to use in your avatar! With that said, you CAN use a 61'-'64 F100 front axle with a little work! As pointed out the late F100 axle is wider, about 5 inches. I ran a modified '63 F100 axle on my '26 with early '70s disc brakes ( sorry, don't know exact year), simple bolt on install (rotors/hub). Mine were re drilled to Chevy bolt pattern to match the Camaro rear axle. Stock spring perches were trimmed off and a pair of custom made bat wings were welded on as were a pair of custom made spring mounts. It was a suicide, 4 bar spring behind set up with a Model A spring. As I said, it can be done but unless you have the ability to make the nesessary modifications you would be better off using a early Ford axle.
    Also I will add that I am in complete agreement with those that said to study and read up on front ends! Here's a picture of my old '26...

Attached Files:

20. :cool: He's right you know....

21. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Thanks 1stGrumpy I learned something also. Disc brakes available on Ford pickups from 73 - 79. Their are differences in bearings, so be sure not to mix and match parts. Did you narrow the axle? I know a lot of old Econolines lost their axles for 34 - 5 Chevy projects. However, they were all narrowed by a machine shop. Great threads on the HAMB for Ford rear axle widths. Research, Research, Listen, Observe. Haven't seen many 32 Chryslers by the way.

22. No, mine was not narrowed...

23. 62rebel

62rebel

ummmm; what's wrong with READING UP on unfamiliar things? while some of us might have been fortunate to have lots of exposure to rods and friends with rods growing up, MOST of us didn't start out so lucky. i'll admit that i've ruined MANY more cars than i've saved, and it's not something i'm proud of, just aware of.

BTW: leave the txt shorthand out. we use standard English here.

24. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

thanks for the help. im not having a attitude or anything if i came off that way sorry. i have built custom cars before i have a full fab shop with all the tools to get the job done i built custom frames with ifs and irs but nothing with i beams so i am lost on that part of the build other then that i got everything else covered.

i can mig tig and stick weld. i got a tubing bender. plasma cutter. 36" sheet metal sheer. bead roller. industiral band saw. industiral drill press(i can polish with my drill press).industiral air compressors. sand blaster. tubing notcher. frame table to build frames on. other small tools and i need a sheet metal brake.
    not braging just been buying tools over time now im trying to get sheet metal tools to do more sheet metal work with.

i will do more reading on here before i get started on it but i am going to be building a floor for the 30 coupe then go back to working on the frame.

sorry for the stupid question but i had to ask stupid or not.

25. modelafordlover

modelafordlover

I have a 31' A coupe that I started playing with years ago -- at that time, I bought a Superbell dropped axle and picked up an Econoline straight axle out of the bone yard (maybe about a 65'?) for the spindles, backing plates, drums and bearings - Of course, time has moved on and now I'm thinking about disc brakes (at least on the front). The point is, there are lots of ways to keep that A looking traditional if you want to. Hang in there, everybody learns as they go along - some faster than others (I guess I'm a pretty slow learner! -- I still like drum brakes!)

26. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Now this thread is heading in the right direction. We can all learn something. I grew up in wrecking yards and body shops. Have owned a few as well. Also have a teaching degree. Now that we have all cleared the air, I want to know if 1stGrumpy remembers if the king pins had to be machined to put the discs on the 64 axle. The Hollander Interchange at the yard said the king pins were different on 65 Fords. So I put everything from a 79 under my 65 and it all bolted up. I do know for a fact there is differences in the bearings, so you want to use all the same pieces from the same donor. This opens up a lot of possibilities for several people if the discs will go on the 61 - 4 axles with little problem. I have a 61 Unibody that could benefit from this swap. 93blazer4dr, are you planning on running fenders? This will determine a few things also. The only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked. Sounds like you have what it takes, welcome aboard. Still would rather see your Chrysler LOL.

27. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

Lowriders Art Gallery--Their are differences in bearings, so be sure not to mix and match parts. Did you narrow the axle?

The mix and match is what makes us hotrodders, lol.
    There is hardly ever a problem finding the conversion bearing to make (most ) applications work. I mainly use 37 ford spindles on F100 brakes and the Zone carries the bearings for that conversion.
    Mix and match is Us, lol

28. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Good to know. I was mainly talking about putting a 73 rotor on a 79 spindle on one side , and maybe a 75 rotor on the other. Much easier if you know everything came off of one donor. I have plenty of mix and matches also. You ought to see my 46 Ford pickup on 83 ranger chassis. Or perhaps the 73 Chevy rear axle under the old 54 Chevy Wrecker. You use what you have, and create the rest. Lol, isn't it great when we can all get along and learn something.

29. Lowriders Art Gallery... Just so happens that I replaced the King Pins in it last summer. I bought them through Speedway, Part # 910-32128 @ $39.95 plus shipping. They fit '57 - '64 F100's. All that was done was to hone the spindles.
    As I said before I never new what year F100 they came from. If I remember correctly they all used the same size King Pin.

30. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Thanks, I have discovered the Hollander interchange is not always 100% accurate. That is why research and questions are good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.