Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skirts or no skirts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Some cars just look terrible to me with skirts. A 57 Chevy is one, and yours another. I vote NO! The car you posted looks fine without em. But, in defense FOR skirts on some 60's cars, think big Pontiacs from 65-67. They pretty much have to have them

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

An absolutely huge NOOOOOOO! On skirts! That also goes for wide white walls, continental kits, lowered more in the rear, visors, etc.... Unless you were all set to cruise Des Moines Iowa, why would you consider any of this on a car later than, say '60 or so? I'm sorry if I just insulted half of this country, but it amazes me how many times this question comes up a week. Your car is absolutely bitchin' just as it sits, why add stuff to it? Pick up a stack of early sixties Hot Rod or Car Craft magazines, and spend an afternoon looking to see what was done with these cars back during the "Rise of the stockers" if you must accessorize!

3. hmmmmm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Domino

Domino

After seeing the photoshop Paperdog did, I agree. You wouldn't happen to have one without the skirts for comparison would you?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

T-time, You raise some very valid points, and that is exactly why I said "I'm sorry if I just insulted half the country" in my post. I know my western bias is showing big time. But, I also have a pretty good idea how you would have been treated had you rolled up to a stoplight here in Phoenix, or over in L.A. in '63 or '64 in the car I described! Regional stuff has always been different and that will never change, but it is hard for me to look at some of it and take it seriously with my slanted view... Just my opinion, and once again, sorry for the mini rant...

6. cheveey57

cheveey57

I think she would look better WITHOUT the skirt..........:)

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That we can all agree on! They all seem to be the same style where ever they're from!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Huzza! Special Ed!

9. H3O

H3O

not with that crazy lip. if it was smooth sure.

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

11. still unsure make a ranchero

Attached Files:

• mmm.jpg
      mmm.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  12. Domino

Domino

Alright no skirts. I see the point several were making about the lip around the wheel well. Since I posted this I have been thing about skirts all day, the other kind. I do like those skirts.

13. 56ih

56ih

I would say no to the skirts, unless you ditched the flares around the wheel wells. Been tossing around this same question myself in regards to my 63 Galaxie...thought about going super stocker, but figured my 63 Comet is enough of a racecar project for now! I kinda dig the early 60s Galaxies slammed to the ground; the long and wide look of them lends to being low for me. Skirts would definately look cheesy on a stock car, though imho.

14. Domino

Domino

Paperdog-Thanks for the photoshop. The middle one looks the best.

15. bb1970

bb1970

no skirts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. I like! I saw something like that in Santa Maria. Maybe a 58 Ford? Looked really good

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

18. kookee

kookee

No skirts, cream steelies, no caps. IMHO.

19. Why do they call them fender skirts? I mean, skirts on girls allow for easier access, but fender skirts make tire changes a real pain. I think they should be called "Chastity Panels".

20. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

lol!:)

21. Displayman

Displayman

No skirts! Only on older converts!
    No skirt on the chick either!

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

ummm- I think there is no argument here.....
    no skirts

23. 48reo

48reo

couldn't have said it better.

24. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

depends on what skirt factory or cruiser full lenght to the rear bumper ?

25. tjmercury

tjmercury

nada on the skirts....for the car anyway!

26. I say no on that car, it doesn't have the right stance or look to pull it off. I have a 62 and a 63-1/2 and have multiple pairs of skirts sitting on the shelf and that's where they're going to stay, I don't really like skirts on either of those years. I have seen skirts on both 62 and 63's that looked ok but they were on more of a custom.

I say if you like 'em, run 'em, I just don't like 'em. ;)

27. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

Regional stuff IS different--when i went from missouri to arkansas and found that the girls wore dresses to the drivein instead of jeans i immediately embraced that wonderful custom----in joplin there was a black 62 belair bubbletop 409 with fenderskirts , lowered in back, spotlights,everone hated it --but it was fast --guys name was dehart or lehart out of neosho---could beat most cars at a stoplight-- i could not touch him with my 3deuce 58 impala but a least i didn't have fenderskirts

28. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

This post started 2 years ago. I think he made his decision.

29. id leave it the way it is looks great , but to answer your question NO skirts on a galaxie

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO! that car is too new for skirts. Bob