Register now to get rid of these ads!

CA YOM plate question (1963).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Aug 20, 2010.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have the black/yellow plates with 63 stamped in one of the sticker sides on the plate.

the truck they are going to go on is a 63. Do i need to order one of those 1963 stickers they sell on ebay in order to get the plates put on the truck or am I good to go without one?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you need a sticker

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

63 is the first year that has a month and year recess.
    take the plates down to dmv, get them cleared and they will give you the stickers..
    BTW, do not let them take the plates from you ( to be verified ) Have them make a photocopy to send off to sacramento..
    Dave

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Did some searches...could not find it but I thought there was a guy on here that sold YOM california stickers. anybody know who it is off the top of your head or better at searching on the HAMB to find it than me?

5. You will need a sticker, but not a '63 sticker. You need to display a current month and year sticker just as you do on any other vehicle driven in CA. I had YOMs on my "T" and had a separate metal tag for the stickers. If you need a '63 sticker, just to make it look right, then order a repro from ebay

6. BIGREDTODD

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238596

correct me if i'm wrong but did they even have '63 stickers?. for the yom program you can use a '47 plate for a '47, a '51 plate for a '51 and a '56 plate for a '56 without tabs or stickers......seems to me a '63 plate for a '63 is ok.

7. big creep

big creep

check on dmv.gov they have an 800 number you can call. the dmv is closed today, remember they are broke so no work fridays. ive called before and had them check plates for me to see if they were clear, if they are, down load the yom plate application! make an appointment, and you should have no problem!

8. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

...and correct me if I am wrong but the last I heard '63-69 yellow on black plates were not allowed to participate in the YOM program. I have been told many times that only up to the '62 plates were allowed to be reassigned to a vehicle.

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

changed in july to allow black/yellow plates in.

10. as of july '09 the yom extends to '69 car and '72 for trucks.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You must display current tabs, even on YOM plates, or it's a cite.

12. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Wow, that's great. Thanks Lotus and 1oldtimer. A lot of musclecar owners are going to be very happy about this.

13. Satinblack

Satinblack

Yea now i can go back in and get my 63 black plates reassigned to the 58 like it originally had. Hurray!!!

14. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

use a registration service they can have the plates inspected and you won't have to deal with the dmv, it takes about 3 months to have them assigned right now, just recieved my tags for my 30 and have 63 plates being done for the wife';s convertible

all you need is both 63 plates and for the numbers to be clear, really simple

15. IF you can prove via registration or pink that it had those exact plates were on the truck then it should only be a regular registration not a yom (and you could have done it all along). if you can't prove it then you'll have to get the '56 comm plates with a '58 sticker (through the yom program)....be pre paired to ask for the supervisor and/or going to multiple dmvs, but never given them your plates.

yup, this is true.
    but i was just talking about the '63 plates needing a sticker for yom for a '63 vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  16. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

No... you can't register your black & yellow '63 plates to your '58 car. You can only register yellow & black '56 series plates to a '58 auto.
    It's called 'Year Of Manufacture' (YOM) program, not Year I Bought It program.

17. My 1950 dodge came with 1956 oregon plates on it, and they are whats in the dmv records..... doesnt make sense to me but Im not complainin.

18. Many registration services won't deal with it. They still have to take the plates in and most don't want to be responsible for them, so they just say no - same with AAA

19. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

find one that's worth a shit and they will, problem solved. it's worth the couple bucks to pay a good service and not have to send your plates in and cross your fingers they come back

20. Satinblack

Satinblack

Actually 1oldtimer, I did have proof, an old registration that showed the plates on that vehicle, they still would not do it.

21. Satinblack

Satinblack

By the way AJ I dont think thats true, back in 63 when the plates came out people had the option to turn in their yellow plates and get the black ones, many people did that, the plates I have were on the car from 63 on

22. not every dmv knows their own laws :rolleyes:, that's why you need to go to multiple ones......sucks i know but in the end you will prevail.

23. Satinblack

Satinblack

Yes I agree they dont know or dont care

24. Weasel

Weasel

YOM plates are handled by DMV only and the docs have to be sent to Sacramento. No agencies or AAA are allowed to handle these.