Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stranded, screwed and nobody stopped! - with pix!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weasel

Weasel

We went to the Big Bear car show last weekend, invited as the guests of a car club (who shall remain nameless), who had a show entry cancelled. As this was a last minute thing I decided to trailer (yeah, bite me) the Willys as it was not long distance and mountain tested. We socialized with, ate with, partied with and hung out with this group and on the Saturday night we were asked if we would like to join the club.

On Sunday morning we breakfasted with a few club members and then headed out solo from Big Bear bound for Lake Arrowhead. Just after Big Bear dam as we started to climb and the uphill passing lane started, cars began to overtake the truck/trailer hot rod combo. All of a sudden I saw a big boulder rolling down the cliff, cars passing in the left lane and nowhere to go. I slammed on the brakes and hit the boulder head on, which smashed the front cross member, sump guard, oil pan, trans cross member, sheared off the driveshaft, bent the frame, hit the rear end and hit the trailer. The Willys was unscathed but I had no drive and had to hold the truck on the parking brake while I stuffed rocks under the truck and the trailer wheels. All the engine oil was puddled across two lanes and we were veered towards the base of the cliff. No cellphone signal! My girlfriend walked down the road until she got a signal and called the CHP.

I directed traffic around the truck/trailer and while we waited, four club member cars drove past, recognized us, grinned and waved and not one of them stopped. Loads of cars from the show drove past - at least 60 of them and again, nobody stopped to ask if they could help or call for help - they all just looked and drove on. It was over and hour (we timed it) before the CHP arrived - they had been dealing with a motorcycle fatality - and all the time show cars and regular cars were passing us by, and it was only a truck with young off roaders who stopped to help us and stayed with us until the CHP arrived.

I am just amazed at the wholesale callous disregard for fellow rodders in need..... oh yes and the insurance company has declared my truck a total loss. Is it just me or is there something very wrong with this picture?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WOW!how big was that boulder??

3. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

sonofabitch!, ffuuuck.. those wher scum that passed you by, the bottom of the barrel, man im glad to see the car is alright, sucks about the truck though and
    the loss of faith about your fellow rodder, they ought be beat with a wip of vacume hoses for their crappy shittyness.

4. RichG

RichG

I'd rethink that whole club thing if I were you:cool:... I'll stop for anyone who's broke down, be it a patch wearing biker, a vanload of illegals, or a trailered hot rod, no one should be left broke down and stranded like that. Even if they weren't sure they should have at least ASKED!

5. Weasel

Weasel

Boulder was about 2 feet in diameter - split the fucker in two....

6. cretin

cretin

I hope you didn't say yes when they asked you to join the club. What a bunch of asses

7. Moondog13

Moondog13

Damn dude, that sucks! Glad your ok though.

8. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

this makes me angry as hell, how can people be that way?

9. jerry

jerry

That REALLY sucks.

I've been on the road and stopped for total strangers to make sure they were ok. A hot rod on the side of the road is a definite stop situation, club member or not!

I would guess that you are not going to join the so far nameless club! There are better people out there.

jerry

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You should mention that club and they should be ashamed. Glad you and you car are ok and nobody hurt.

11. sawzall

sawzall

12. this sucks, i dont know you but if i seen your cool car on the trailer i would stop for a fellow car guy.

13. LabRat

LabRat

I can understand how this would leave a bad taste in your mouth ....
    And unfortunatly the kindest souls are usually found in strangers ....

And not that it should matter , But ... ( and yes I know you said bite me )
    having your rod on a trailer fixes a picture or attitude from those not releasing why you are trailering your pride and joy ....;)

Move on and be thankfull that the damage means you get a new
    truck ! :D

That tailshaft was rusty anyway ! :p

14. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

I would have jumped in front of the damn boulder or at least waited with you and helped.

You don't need a club like that. Sorry to hear this man. Glad you, your girl and the car are alright. The pickups replaceable.

15. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

All humans and classic cars in this story were unharmed. In the end it will be ok.

16. jasone

jasone

Well, I gotta say it, fuck those guys...effin' douchebags.

17. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

Did any of the guys you ate breakfast across from pass you? What scum.

18. i want to see the boulder, atleast the willys and you and your woman are ok.

19. thesupersized

thesupersized

damnn that sucks...the only reason why i could think of why noone stopped is that they saw your car on the trailer...thinking that it was ur classic car that broke down, and you had someone come with a pickup and a trailer to come get it...maybe the other people thought you were just loading ur willys on the trailer and heading out and everything was going to be ok, thats still messed up noone stopped though

20. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

That club = bunch of losers. Clubs are for seals anyway. Only one person you can count on in this world, and thats yourself.

21. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

I'm a pretty negative guy sometimes. I never thought of it this way. I suppose its possible if they didn't notice the boulder and the truck parts up and down the highway.

22. So, you wouldn't unload the car for her to drive, but instead made your chick start hoofing it until she got a cell signal.................... Classic................. or Karma.............. jury is still out :cool:

23. Bar none, the most helpful group of car guys has always been 'wheelers for me. Hell, I know guys that go out looking for people in distress. Search and rescue is a challenge for those guys. Glad that at least someone stopped.

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn, and I was pissed when car after car of strangers didn't stop to offer a ride while I was walking in the desert with a gas can, and the Duster was clearly parked on the shoulder a couple miles back.
    But car guys, AND PEOPLE YOU KNEW?!

Obviously, you know what to do here... flamming bags of dog poo on their front porches!
    Or, just say "screw 'em," tell the story to any and all that ask, and leave 'em in the dust.

-Brad

25. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

car clubs the same world wide i remember once we were coming home from a street rod nats here in aus we stopped in our rod when a big name rodder broke down he thanked us and we helped him he was just out of fuel he told us some of his fellow club members had passed him by as well

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great, ad hominem attacks on car club members. Shall we generalize about Tasmanians now?

27. milo1303s

milo1303s

I'ma fuckin noob and that just ain't right!!!!

NEVER LEAVE SOMEONE STRANDED !!!!!

Must be my VOLKSWAGON roots VW people help VW people trailer or not !!!

sorry for my out of line post without an intro but I had to say something!!! This shit ain't right

28. Tasmanians apparently are good road racers.

They probably all assumed someone else would stop, or you already had help coming, I'm sure a lot of them wanted to make sure they made the show on time. And with your truck a total, what could they have done, really? Most of those cars couldn't latch onto the trailer and tow you in the rest of the way. And you wouldn't want to leave the car unattended, I don't think. Unless you wanted help to unload it and drive it on to the show?

29. Fe26

Fe26

Great observation, prewar...

He did say though his car hadn't been tested, but chicks walkin' alone away from a wreck? Hell THAT's been tested to death.

Unloadin' the car, lettin' her have first drive,...............Nah! fuck it, she can walk.

I'll just wait right here, gettin' madder and madder at those... those other fucwits. Yep, I'm waitin' right here 'till the Cavalry comes.

30. milo1303s

milo1303s

Well Damn if everyone thought like that he'd still be on the side of the road broke down! It don't ever hurt your ass to stop and ask if all is good atleast give the person that much !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.