Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Graffiti Movie Locations Petaluma, CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdog, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

I put these together for a buddy of mine who is in the States from Australia. He is attending an event at Sears Point this weekend so I sent these to him because he is a big fan of American Graffiti. I thought I would post them on here and share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Onelow34

Onelow34

That is awesome! I just copied and pasted, my wife and I are going back out to california and that sounds like fun to go and visit all those places! Thanks for posting!

3. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

very nice presentation. im fortunate enough to actually live here so i see this stuff all the time but to those that arent that lucky, its an awesome sight to see. im actually going to mcneers mystic theater tomorrow night and the parking for the place is the lot where the rear end was pulled out of the cop car. careful though, its got a huge dip and will almost take out your axle!

4. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Thanks for posting, that's some pretty neat info! I just got back from Google Street View and I felt like I was standing in the middle of Paradise Road (just like Toad) ready to flag off Milner & Falfa!

5. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

You need to check with the organizers of the annual event in Petaluma.
    They have documented all these sitesin their program. It shows a website
    www.americangraffiti.net on the front cover.

Me and a buddy went to Petaluma about ten years ago... he's a Graffitiholic and wanted to see all these places but at that time the locals didn't seem to know or care. He'd stop people at traffic lights driving older cars and ask at stores and it was as if nobody had ever heard of that movie and thought we we were nuts.

6. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that is friggin cool. thank you for going through the effort to post this.

Jeff

7. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

one of the most important spots thats missed here is where they filmed the white tbird at the end, driving down that long road. thats stony point rd, next to the 101

[​IMG]

8. thats frigin cool!!! I knew about the police car in the gravel lot but didn't know about the rest of the info cool cool!!!

9. Turbo442

Turbo442

I love Old Chicago Pizza! It's in that plaza next to and upsatirs from that gravel lot. Place has a ton of history. We will drive almost an hr sometimes just to eat their pizza or on our way back from Bodega Bay.

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

you arent kidding either, thats seriously good pizza!! what do they call the place...."house of ill repute" i believe. aka bordello complete with all the original rooms and such. thats a MUST see for out of towners!!

11. i thought it was filmed in modesto????????

isnt there a paradise road there as well???

12. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

the movie was based on lucas' life in modesto

13. lucas' life? the real 'milner' died from a drunk driver..im not understanding this. had nothing to do with lucas as far as i thought

14. Turbo442

Turbo442

^^^^What he said. There is a lot of info about it and they actually have a small cruise downtown, called American Graffiti Nights. I think it was last month actually.

15. Turbo442

Turbo442

People he knew, not him personally, loosely based on real events. Remember he's a writer, they tend to take liberties with some things. He's a really nice guy if you ever get to meet him

16. oh i see, well i beleive you that he probably would be cool to meet,

17. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

18. t2dfyre

t2dfyre

Such an awesome movie! Ive watched it like ten times already....great cars and just good positive fun back then! Stay safe all!!!

Ty:D

19. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Perfect timing i am on a road trip from Seattle down the 101 will check this out tommorow

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Thanks for posting...........were headed that way in a few weeks, will try and fit it in !,

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the flim script last year, makes some cool reading...........

21. beauishere

beauishere

Very cool. Thanks for the map. We're going to the festival next May. From what I hear it's a little bigger than a small cruise. Hope so. Aloha

22. The funny part of all this is the fact that the down town cruising scenes were actually shot on Citrus Ave in old town Covina, hundreds of miles to the south. I know this because the car club I was in at the time, The Pomona Valley Uniques, had some of our cars used as extras for the cruising scenes.

23. Here's a printable map of all the AG filming locations in Petaluma:

filming_locations_map.jpg

EDIT: D'oh! ... I see now that @TomP64 & @lanny haas beat me to it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cool post ! whats the chance some of you locals could take some pics of the locations and add em to the thread :rolleyes:...please !

25. furyus

furyus
    from Virginia

I used to work turns at Sears Point. I refuse to call it by that other name.

Very cool post - thanks.

furyus

26. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Hell Yeah! I worked on an AMA super sport team in the early 90s and then on a Speed Channel GT team for about 8 years. Went there alot when it was Sears. It will always be Sears to me.

27. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

I have many from my visits. I will try to get some time to get them up.

28. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks man,
    We cruising tonight to the Benington car show. Bring those boys along and we can get em rides in the car. If its not raining

29. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

That's great! If you go by the dive shop (liquor store where Toad try to buy booze) during business hours make sure to go inside. The front door and the front counter is the same one from the movie. I think most of the interior is the same.When I stopped in the guys were real cool. Have a safe trip.

30. Heading over next June! Added to the list!!! :)