Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 chevy gasser find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gripelec, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gripelec

gripelec

Hey yall so check it out. I found this old 55 drag car in the back of a 73 year old ladies back yard here in austin texas. The car used to run back in the day at local drag strips. A few older gentelman remember the car and i am getting pics of it in its hay day along with videos. Ill post those latter and let evryone intrested in its progress.Car starts and drives!!!, has a 69 427 possible vette motor, turbo 400 with shift kit, 12 bolt posi,radius wheel wells,4 point cage, and atilt front end. the tires are holarious because they are to wide for the car, but they re getting swaped out.So i just baught some 200s daisy mags from the 60's to run on the car. 10 inch wide rears and 7 inch fronts till i can get a skinny 200s wheel.If some one has a pair for sale pm me PLEASE! Man the 4.5 inch wide rims are going for like 1,200 bucks! WTF i paid 550.00 from a guy here for the full set, anyways thats what im putting on the car. To paint and make it mine or not,Hmmm, Check it out<here are the pics..

Attached Files:

• g9.jpg
      g9.jpg
      File size:
      172.4 KB
      Views:
    • g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      File size:
      222.3 KB
      Views:
    • g5.jpg
      g5.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
    • g8.jpg
      g8.jpg
      File size:
      161.3 KB
      Views:
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      197.6 KB
      Views:
    • g3.jpg
      g3.jpg
      File size:
      161.5 KB
      Views:
    • g6.jpg
      g6.jpg
      File size:
      197.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a nice one to put back in action. And it's almost certainly got a 'vette motor in it:rolleyes:.

4. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

5. gripelec

gripelec

working on it computer malfuntion...

6. slimpick

slimpick

The proverbial gasser is found - nice! Love to see some pictures.

7. gripelec

gripelec

Alright!!!, here they are guys sorry abaout that lol...

8. gripelec

gripelec

and yes vette motor!!!

9. Herdez

Herdez

That was a good find! Last I remember this car driving around town in the early 90s.

10. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

11. gripelec

gripelec

THanks herdez.The plot thickens, that would explain the gay as wheel and tire combo lol, they are for sale if anyone is intrested.

12. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Id give my left nut for that car!!!

13. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Damn!! Nice find

14. Herdez

Herdez

I was in my 68 El Camino when the guy revved it up. I almost broke my neck looking back at it going down Congress when I saw it. lol! (ALL REAR END):confused: Funny thing it happened just before the Continental Club.

15. gripelec

gripelec

4,000 dollars took it home. Guess it was my turn to be lucky. I have another 55 that I got taken advantage of finnancially in the recent past (not mentioning any names) and this lil 55 find sure has made up for it. I can't imagine what it would cost now to have all this work done to it.I've wanted a 55 like this since I was a kid. my moms boyfreind at the time (1976) had a nomad that I was crazy about. I remember him going through the gears and having a smile from ear to ear. I'm 38 now and it was well worth the wait. I'm getting it ready for the day of the drags in temple Texas but safety first! Have alot of work to do and questions answered before I hit the asphalt. M/t street or m&h cheaters. Anybody???

16. gripelec

gripelec

Hey herdez have we met? If you live here in Austin alot of people know me from being the owner of earls pearl amongst other things I won't get into lol, mike junks family owned the old show car that was at frans hamburger stand back in the day.

17. Cheaters, Cheaters, Cheaters. Yeah that car would cost BOTH your nuts to build today. I'm still building mine and it's not cheap.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I though little old ladies were only in Pasadena, CA. nice find.

19. gripelec

gripelec

I bet there are alot of these still around stashed away that people won't sell because of sentimental value. I know I would have a hard tim parting with any of my vehicles regardles of how old and crispy I get

20. Herdez

Herdez

Sent PM.

21. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Killer deal, can`t beat a real gasser w/history.

22. gripelec

gripelec

If anyone has any pics of wheel and tire combos ID love to see them.

23. lorodz

lorodz

sweet gasser

24. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Whats the deal with the art work. Cows & Mickey:eek::eek::D:D

25. gripelec

gripelec

Thomas Alexander owned a trucking company and had painted his info on the car, his son who recently passed away painted the mad Mickey mouse on the car in the early 70"s maybe even late 60"s. Being that his 7 year old little boy did it he left it thinking it was cute of his son. That's what miss Alexander had explained to me. I felt like you did when I saw the car but being the fact that I'm a dad I can relate to not wanting to remove it. But, it's comming off I beleive. I would like to leave the car as is but I don't know if I want to be the bannana yellowed 55 with an angry Mickey mouse on my ride lol especialy since it's not my kid that painted it. Mixed emotions ya know. What's yalls take?

26. gripelec

gripelec

For the life of me I don't know what the he'll master blaster is. Anyone got any ideas???The lady I purchased the vehicle from said "that's just what he called it" by the way the reason the steering wheel is reversed is because he was a very large black man, vey large being respectfully of the deceast.

27. retromotors

retromotors

Reference the Mel Gibson flick "Mad Max, Thunderdome"
    (Or whatever the hell the actual title was!)

He was the big 'ol steroid-lookin' dude with the little guy on his back.

28. indyjps

indyjps

I'd ditch the paint, just hit it with some rubbing compound and see if the graphics come off and leave a little yellow still? I like to see cool old graphics but these aint it

Run the #'s on that engine, if it is rare you could build a non rare BBC that will run harder and still have some spare $, you might even get an engine in trade.

Id say a wheel swap see if you can rub Mickey out of the paint and make it safe

29. gripelec

gripelec

Wheel swap already happened, 200s American racing or come bottle mags whatever, anyways 10"s in the back and 7"s in the front. Just checked out akh wheels, 2,400 dollars for a pair of 4 inch fronts. That's crazy talk but none the less that's direstion I'm headed. As far as Mickey? He"s had a good long life. Retirement time for poor old Mickey. Thanks for the comments fellas. Happy to have found it and get it out of the weather and back on the road.

30. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

"who runs barter town?!"

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    Squablow and Mark Grabo like this.