Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 41 Ford Business coupe chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

got the stainless trim cut to size and mocked up....

need some help on tire size (bias).. - front end is stock with drop axle, want to fill the wheel well a little better (15" wheel) without rubbing, what sizes are you guys running?

Attached Files:

2. 68wagon

68wagon

wow this sweet 41 has come a long way tim.Very nice chop its going to be one killer ride im loving this thread keep them pics coming
    cheers scotty

3. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Hadnt posted up in a while, been thrashing on this thing blocking it out again, and cleaning up some of the details.

Attached Files:

4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

getting closer to paint- fitting up the trim (or not fitting I just noticed one piece is not lined up) and skirts so I can address any problems now and wont have any surpises after paint. Wont be long now.

Attached Files:

5. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Man that looks great

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Thanks- I want a larger tire in front currently has 6.40 15's- (has stock front end with a drop axle)

What are you guys with 40's fords running- without rubbing?

7. chrisman

chrisman

A 6.70 should do the trick. It's not much taller but it's available with a wider white wall, which makes it appear like a far taller tire

8. marx

marx

I'm a big fan of business coupes, always have been. This one is on the top of my all-time favorites. I really like the look of the lengthened trunk line, as apposed to stretching out the roof. I agree with you, very Zephyrish. I think the choice to keep the rear glass stock worked out well, too. Gives the over-all feel that the original factory designers meant it to look like this instead! Super cool build!

9. Have you thought about shaving that gas door and relocating it to the trunk? I think the flow would look more amazing that is already does...

10. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

thanks guys I appreciate the compliments... yeah I thought about it but I didnt want to shave anything, I kept the trim, door handles, tail lights, drip rails, didnt mold the rear fender etc.. i wanted the car to retain a factory look (with a mild chop)

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Glad you did...That thing's slipperier than a fish! Every move you made, from short top to standard backlight (rear glass) then the drip rails, after radiusing the rear quarter windows.
    The wing question was good, I also thought 30% of side hole was a little 'wide'...but it worked.
    Glad you didn't slant the A pillars, nor lengthen the top. This is an ideal example.

12. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

still fitting trim, bumper etc..glad I did lots to resize, fix and adjust before paint. I want to drive it a couple days and make sure nothing funny happens to the body work-

Attached Files:

KFC likes this.
  13. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

your right, found them. Thank you

14. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

hadn't posted up anything for a while so heres an update: everything but the glass was assembled and fitted- and I drove the car around for a week or two- last week I tore it all back down and now I'm getting it ready for paint. Still havent decided on a color.

Attached Files:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I vote for a dark non metallic maroon !! Looking great cant wait to see the paint on it!

16. Looking good!! I agree I can't wait to see it in paint. Personally I think it would look killer in Dark green like Rikster's colorized photo of Jesse Lopez car from TRJ

17. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

thats funny-I am considering both colors!

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol my second choice would also be a dark green ...maybe with a little bit of metalic to it ... these are both the colors I am thinking about for mine .

19. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

car looks great, I have plans to chop a 41 coupe myself. I am just waiting till I can sell my 56 f100 to get started.

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

they both just seem to be perfect colors for these cars.

cool- share the progress with us.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Post a pic (the sideshot would be great) in the Photoshop thread and let them have at it.

It's coming out really well... I've enjoyed this thread.

22. glassguy

glassguy

let me warn you.. i painted my car dark green metallic like suggested a few years back.. it looked good , but after a week of getting used to it, i was pissed i didnt just paint it black like i was going to in the 1st place..

it was a nice color though 05 nissan maxima color
    and dont think the green will be any more forgiving than the black as far as body work goes as u can see lol

Attached Files:

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love green. My favorite car color and i don't own a green car! But that said, I think you might consider thinking outside the box a bit. It's not mine so don't take this to heart, but I think the world needs another maroon 40s Ford like it needs another Plum Crazy Mopar musclecar. True enough it's a favorite for what you're doing and was always a popular choice in the day. I think everybody here following your build knows it has to be a dark color. Real dark. I'd paint that car Packard Blue in a heartbeat. Packard blue is essentially a dark transparent blue tint called "Prussian Blue" just like the old valve seat checking grease. I imagine that color sprayed over a black base for the ultimate depth and maybe even just a pinch of pearl in the clearcoat to set it apart from the other dark blue cars. You might even play with colored pearls for different effects. Gold pearl over blue might make one "think" green in certain lights. Some silver pearl mixed into the blue would give the impression of a period dark metallic blue, but just the smallest possible amount. Again you'd want to do some spray outs. Chrysler "Nightwatch Blue" from the early/mid 80s is a near dead nuts match but a tad bit opaque. Best mixed with a bit of clear or clear basecoat. Mercury/Lincoln "Midnight Blue" from the later 70s (remember those horrible T-birds and Cougars with the saddle trim on dark blue?) is more transparent and better lends itself to the over black application. Just some input on what's shaping up to be 1 in a million. Did I say how much I love what you're doing to it? Can ya tell?

24. Great looking car but I was more thinking along the lines of the Sam Barris Merc green. I don't really get painting a car so dark a color that you can barely see that it is anything but black unless you are right on top of it. To me if you want it that dark paint it black.

25. glassguy

glassguy

in person theres no mistaking it as green, just doesnt show good in photos. sams car is what i had in mind when i did it, just wanted a bit darker

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Chop looks great, I'm sure you'll pick an awesome color as well. As it's been mentioned, let the photshop junkies get their hands on it to give you some ideas!

27. well it looks great either way!!

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Mr. Musico- I would go for non-metallic maroon too- The '41 sure shaped up to be a bitchin' custom! The rounded door tops and shortened trim are just the ticket!

29. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

We have color! once I wet sand and buff I will post some good pics. Thanks for the ideas guys, I am real happy with the color- its a little darker than this cheap cell phone camera shows.

Attached Files:

30. billys54

billys54