Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Old Crow Bonneville report. "Banger Carnage"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Aug 18, 2010.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

165 in the first mile?!?! What is the current record you guys were going after?

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

165mph with a "Bang-her".........damn........Rulers!

I heard via BenD about your "issue".....

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Cool little chopped '31 sedan with a banger at the local cruise tonight gives me faith in Henry's 4. Keep on going and break some records!!!!!

4. bikersteve

bikersteve

Damn....but what a way to go

5. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

You guys know as well as I do, when you are standing on the shit hard it's going to brake sooner or later. Even thought hurting parts sucks there is some consolation in knowing it happened cuz you where going for it. JC

6. We allways seemed to blow everything out through the pan. One crank came out in 5 pieces! This was when we were running the 990 Original Golden Rod 'liner with a bunch of great guys from Lincoln, Nebraska.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. fonti

fonti

oh well...sorry to hear that - we did not have the salt gods on our side either: just 4 passes and 2 blown up engines...fuck

8. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Fonti, Sorry to hear it. Got any pics?

9. JAWS

JAWS

October, really?

165 and backing out of it to keep the revs down, within the first mile on a 13?something record. Priceless!

Time to learn how to pack a shute eh?

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You guys broke shit because you were THERE, unlike the rest of us keyboard jockeys. Fucking awesome!

Even breakage is inspiring.

-Brad

11. WOW....some carnage there for sure. a BANGer for sure. I cringe when I see shit like that....but it IS racing.

221mph - now THAt is one FAST banger...WOW !!

Rat

12. It just proves the old saying that when you start making high HP it will find the weakest link in the system.
    Sorry for the carnage

13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

We left yesterday around noon and it looked like a storm was on the way. Heard later there were a couple of bad accidents and they shut the course down. Anyone else hear that or have more info?

Stupid Wi-Fi connection won't work in the motel I'm in in Twin Falls, ID so I'm using the one in the lobby. Will try to post some photos tonight.

14. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

That is too bad it gave out so soon

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks for the carnage report, as sad as it is :( I've been thinking of you guys all week!

16. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

Sorry to hear about your problems. Nice pictures by the way.

On the Pete Aardema streamliner, it wasn't a banger in the car. It was a pretty stock Auroura four liter that they were using to shake down the new car. The banger wasn't ready for this meet. It does however make as much power as the Olds, so it should be a contender for some records. They went 232 on Monday in four miles. The 221 and 222 passes on Sunday were on three miles.

Does anyone have any pictures of the 494 or the RP in my avatar that was pushing?

Thanks,

Tony

17. duffman

duffman

Yes it was a considerably rough Speed Week for the V4F class, along with the aforementioned carnage the Montana Dodge Boys suffered a similar fate. The engine blew water paste the headgaskets on the dyno under boost. A plate was made to sandwitch the head and hepl provide a more even clamping force. The head itself was also O-ringed around the cylinders. It was buttoned back up and packed for Bonneville with crossed fingers. The first run netted a 134MPH against a 115 record...and a steam cleaning of the engine compartment. In impound the decision was made to try to seal the gap and make a run at the return pass since we only needed 100MPH to get the record. A pile of JB weld was applyed around the entire head to block gap and finger crossing was redoubled. In the morning on the record run every effort was made to not lose any water until the run was started, the water pump was turned on at the one mile mark. Anther steam bath down the course losing water at a pace of 4 gallons a mile...at 122MPH. YAY!! record set...block toast. After the techs left from the record run post inspection the head was examined and showed no il effect, the number one hole was full of water but was assumed good on further inspection. Buttoned back up with new gasket and test fired. the block just gushed water out dozens of spider web cracks..end of the road for racing. Good thing we had plenty of beer.
    PS I was going to post pictures of the SoWhat carnage, but it appears that Bobby and I used the same camera...my pictures are exactly the same point of reference, LOL
    Irene is a real trooper.

18. fonti

fonti

Bobby, yeah...but I'm on my way back to CT and then to Switzerland, will post them later.

19. fonti

fonti

you're right, we where there...but believe me it's a fucking pain to hear all the great engines warmin' up in the pits and you're just sitting there, waiting to be cocktail hour!! BUT, it was fun anyway...

20. plan9

plan9

you guys will get it dialed in... all of us will break shit, just a matter of when and how. it was good to see you Bobby,..... for all of a few minutes? we were scrambling to get to staging lanes ;)

21. Sorry about the failure,Bobby! 165 at the mile mark,just means about 185-190 at the end next time!!!!!!!
    Lucky's truck looks great too....

22. plan9

plan9

wow... running fuel? did you guys ever hurt the heads? excellent shots

23. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Tony,... Thanks for the clarification. The Scta site must have had a typo and showed the car running in V4 class. I thought that sounded a bit too amazing, but you never know.

24. It's been over-used, but seems somehow appropriate...

"...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood [and SALT! -ed.]; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; Who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." ~President Theodore Roosevelt

Go down swingin'.

25. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

And I thought you guys were going to kill another record! That sucks, sorry.

26. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Racing can be the quickest way to learn to walk further than to the mailbax and back.

27. Sorry to hear of the carnage, but, you gotta give yourselves a congrats for the speed just prior, if you can do it once you know you can do it again....

Any news on SamIam (and BFD crew) T roadster? good/bad/otherwise?

she rocks...

28. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Oh don't worry to much about that. We had to find our weakest point so that we can run faster. We'll have the kinks worked out for next time. Racing is just like that though. You just never know what the hell is gonna happen..

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Would a motor plate made out of 1/4-3/8 plate like they run in Sprint Cars correct this problem? [​IMG]

30. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Hey Lucky it was good seeing you at the bar on Friday night sorry about the motor shit happens!!!!