Register now to get rid of these ads!

Worlds fastest Commer...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commer, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commer

Commer

Hi there

I'm Toni from Sweden and I´ve been asked to present my humble project here.

Actually, this is just some car ideas put to life to see if they will work.

I want to build something odd, something that not are that common but still could have the label "Hot Rod" or something.

So, 3 years ago I bought some car parts that should have been a Brittish Commer from 1951. The only one that been imported to Sweden. A pick up without most of it parts. My avatar are from an original sales broshure.

The goal is to have a rather quick sleeper that also can handle well on the track.

On a budget!

No fancy stuff, can I manufacture it by myself, I'll do it. The salvage yard have almost everything I need. Renovate if necessary.

The frame is a square steel tubing construction with the Audi V8 engine in the middle, home made independant suspension all around.

So far the chassis is ready to 99%, the bed will have a hole so the engine will fit under a "secret box". But the sheet metal work is still to come.

Opinions and questions are most welcome.

Thanks
    Toni

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Welcome to the HAMB!

3. budrow

budrow

That's one ugly truck. Should surprise a few folks with it's speed. Welcome aboard the HAMB. Pics when you get it together?

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Pics of what you have now too, and the current shape of things, please

5. petes65usa

petes65usa

Welcome.....cool to be different ! :cool:

6. Commer

Commer

It will come, but not now. It's over midnite in the old world now and someone have to work, they say...

Thanks for your intrest.
    Toni

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice that will make a nice sleeper.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

There is no such thing as an ugly truck

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Toni
    There is something that I like about the European brothers. You all build no matter what the rest of the world thinks is proper you still build.

Someone is going to say it is not traditional. hell any other time I would probably say that myself, but I really like what you are doing with the old truck. I have had the idea of building a mid engine truck for some time something along the same lines as yours, well except i would come closer to useing the engine and tranny from a front drive cadillac instead. it would be easier for me to come by then the Audi drive train that you are useing.

Anyway I like it. it ought to scream.

Luck
    Benno

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. 94hoghead

94hoghead

11. Commer

Commer

The beginning of the build was to manufacture a frame.
    The aim was to get a low point of gravity and good cornering capabilities.

Since i never build a car from scratch, I have stolen, copied and borrowed construction ideas from all over the world. Spells "INTERNET".

So, two square frames on top of eachother with 170 mm space between, the upper 130 mm wider than the lower. That gives me attach points for the upper and lower A-arms (control arms) with a good geometry.

To be able to get the vehicle thru the inspection, I have tried to document the different parts and the way I've done it. As an excuse for maybe too much details...!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  12. Excellent project.

13. wally55

wally55

:DThat is a excellent project,keep us posted on the progress.Welcome to the HAMB.

14. Commer

Commer

Thanx.
    The drive train comes from:
    Audi 200 -92 (engine),
    Gearbox 6 speed man. and driveshafts from Audi 100 2,5 diesel 1994 front wheel drive
    Rear uprights with brakes from Audi A6 2003 four wheel drive.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Different . I like it. Keep the pics going.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Well the Chrisman coupe is mid engined and first saw the light of day in 1954.

So not totally traditional but innovative and resourceful, using what he has available - that's traditional hot rod thinking in my book.....

17. Commer

Commer

I have looked a little bit on the Formula cars when I designed the rear spring "department".
    Unfortunately the real titan, carbonfibre and other excusive materials was slightly above my budget, so I took what the salvage yard could offer me.
    The rear springs comes from an Audi A4 that somebody first tuned with front sport struts and then wrecked the car. Thanks alot, buddy!
    Now I have adjustable springs and stiffer dampers.

Attached Files:

18. This is getting more interesting with every photo.
    Did you consider going for four wheel drive/mid engined?

19. zzford

zzford

Very nice work. I really like your engineering!

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Some fine engineering there

21. Commer

Commer

James D, yes I considered that for a brief moment, but I thought it was complicated enough!
    The Four wheel drive gearbox have the longtitudal (?) driveshaft pointing backward, so it had to be... very complicated.
    But maybe next build!

B t w, the Audi components just fit perfectly together even they are from different cars. If you want to do it even more simple, take the whole drive train package from a front wheel car and move it backwards.
    Thanks
    Toni

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hi, Toni!
    Say, you are travelling thru some familiar territory here. (We used to have wrecking yards with good, useable parts in them. But now, all we have are Oriental Rickshas and Korean Kias to choose from, all or most front wheel drive!)
    I built a '27 T track roadster with BMW 2002 (model, Not year) engine/tranny. Polished the logo off the cam cover, and all that aluminum gleamed! Two Weber sidedrafts fit under the hood, everybody loved it. Until somebody said, "Isn't that slant-4 a BMW?" Then they hated it.
    Your project is splendid. Lots of sound engineering here, and I'm happy to see those rare parts not being wasted! (Say, you almost have enough room for a second Audi V8 under that hood....)

23. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Toni,
    How are ya my friend ?? progress is looking good.
    Welcome to the HAMB. Wait till you see pic's from the HAMB drags this weekend, my morris will be there.:eek:
    PS... yes Im working right now... lol
    Roach

24. Commer

Commer

AtwaterMike, yeah, one more drivetrain in the front and then we have a 4 wheel drive!
    Thanks for the support.

Roach, I was just waiting for you to find me here!!! Gonna do some machine training next couple of days.
    All's fine. Good luck at the drags and DONT test that roll cage!!!

Work on...
    Toni

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay, I have to say I really like what you're doing here. Maybe it's just the Engineer in me, but sometimes there is a purpose for doing this kind of stuff outside of the "traditional" way of mind. Even if it's just for the shock factor, maybe making something that looks old REALLY HAUL ASS, is made from one's own mind and skills or to just simply do something different... sometimes it just needs to be done. Some neat stuff going on here, O/T or not.

QUESTION! I'm confused about what the drive train is... That is a Front Wheel Drive transmission from an Audi 200 or just the engine is from an Audi 200 and the transmission (or is that a transaxle???) is from an Audi 100 orrrr..... Quattro?? Orr??? What the hell??! I think I need more clarification... HAHA! :eek:

26. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Ahhhh yes, the worlds fastest Commer....and it's play ground..:D
    Roach

Attached Files:

27. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

That is a great project you are working on, and should look fantastic when you finish. Mid mounted Audi into a Commer would have to be a world first.
    Keep up the good work.

28. Commer

Commer

Sorry for the confusion, Mixed up transmission and transaxle. Let's just call it "trans" :confused:

The engine comes from a 4-wheel drive Audi 200 Quattro.
    The gearbox and drive shafts comes from a front wheel drive Audi 100.
    That package is moved back to the rear wheels.
    The rear uprights comes from a 4-wheel drive Audi A6, the rear wheels of course.
    And it all fits without any modifications...!

Since the transaxle comes from a 2,5 litre diesel, it should be able to take the load from the V8. For a while...

Thanks
    Toni

29. Commer

Commer

Hi

Finally somebody that knows the brand "Commer".:D
    I guess its only in England and NZ you still can find any.
    Because they are so ugly...?:rolleyes:

30. Looks good , what sort of HP does your Audi produce .Good project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.