Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interesting images from old magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbantique, Jul 18, 2010.

1. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

aka.jpg andy Granitelli HORNS.jpg Arnett Ganetelli Couch.jpg art lee gib speed shop.jpg blair andy g Mc Clung w merc.jpg bob metz.jpg drag race.jpg early dream trk.jpg isky racing.jpg kraft.jpg metz dt.jpg metz fins dt.jpg metz xm.jpg metz.jpg scta.jpg back pages

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great thread. Super to see all of these pics together in one place.

Haven't seen a tattoo or pompadour yet... Surely these can't be authentic 40's, 50's and 60's images!

3. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

lw20.jpg spaulding bros.jpg st V.jpg w020.jpg w147.jpg w214.jpg w521.jpg w621.jpg w631.jpg w741.jpg w783.jpg waite.jpg
    Check out my other threads on old hot rod movies, paperbacks, & comic books for the 50s juvenile delinquent angle . It is interesting to see how Hollywood exploited the hot rod crowd . This thread is closer to the truth (as I remember it) than the paperbacks,comics, & movies. "Considering that both the film industry and hot rodding were born in Southern California, it's no surprise that Hollywood and its surrounding communities served as backdrop for so many of these films. While a set may have been built for use as a diner or garage, most of the location work was done at the places hot rodders and their cars could be found: Griffith Park, the dragstrip at the Pomona Fairgrounds, or the desolate roads of the yet-undeveloped San Fernando Valley. These movies were most often the products of small studios and independents, and the filmmaking craft was marginal, even by standards of the day." (motor trend article)"Most of the actors were locals, and many were never heard of before--or since, though there are a few notable exceptions. Watch enough of these films, and you'll see a vivacious Mamie Van Doren or Connie Stevens, a young Chuck Connors or Doug McClure, and a somewhat Jim Carrey-like Frank Gorshin, long before he became known as The Riddler on TV's "Batman." Some, like Norm Grabowski, were real-life L.A. hot rodders who were on the set with their cars and ended up becoming actors almost by accident"

4. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Cool stuff from the Almquist catalog, 1963.

Attached Files:

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I still have the original receipts from 1963 from Almquist in Milford, PA for a complete flathead 3 3/8 x 4 1/8 stroker kit and 3/4 race cam I bought brand new in 1963. Stroker kit was made by Crankshaft Co. in CA and had Jahn's 3 ring pistons and full floating bearings. I was 20 and making $1.10 an hour. Check out the outrageous prices. I had to leave that engine in Menonomie, WI and would love to have it back.

Attached Files:

6. Absolutely fantastic!!

I have enjoyed every pic.

Rbantique, Thanks for starting this thread! Greatly appreciated.

BloodyKnuckles

7. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

37  ford.jpg A bros 3.jpg A bros 4.jpg A bros 5.jpg A Bros.jpg A bros2.jpg alexander.jpg allen.jpg barris shop.jpg FL.jpg flames merc.jpg foxcraft.jpg gaylord shop.jpg hac.jpg heliker.jpg back pages

8. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

honest charlie.jpg johnson.jpg kong.jpg McGee.jpg morrow.jpg Neumann family.jpg nicolosi.jpg purple 32.jpg root.jpg sanchez.jpg somber murray.jpg strickland.jpg watson.jpg zupan.jpg marchese 1300...jpg back pages

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

How did I miss this thread.Just confirms that I was born 30 years too late in the wrong country.I love the eyeball searing technicolor,makes me grin ear to ear in this terrible flat black & primer age.That ad for the metalflake rules!
    Paul

10. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

big fins.jpg capri pant fins.jpg coupe.jpg 57 Karat.jpg scallops.jpg 48 buick.jpg 32 for 100.jpg xcc61jul.jpg car craft 1 59.jpg durso NY.jpg mcnulty.jpg olds.jpg oct 58 car craft.jpg szelesi.jpg car craft 3 58.jpg back pages

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That pink car was built by the late Charlie Durso in Wappingers Falls, NY circa 1956 as is now owned by a fellow in Palm Beach, FL. It was called "Durso's dreamboat". I remember seeing it on my way to high school.

12. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

durso1.jpg durso2.jpg Car Craft 2 59.jpg angress.jpg de vito.jpg hychko.jpg moquet.jpg steck.jpg car craft 5 58.jpg Barris spot.jpg bonneville.jpg Car Craft  12 58.jpg lopez.jpg stein.jpg interior.jpg

looks like FL to me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, that's the same car. It was originally Peptobismol Pink, then a dark blue when it was in an auction. Glad to see it's back to pink again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures .

15. Rikster

Rikster

I don't think the pink photos are newer than the Dark Blue photos.
    I hope it went to a new owner who will have a bit more respect for the car than the people who put the billet wheels and other modern touches on it.

Great threat!

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------
    :DCAPTION- "Bob was deeply perplexed
    and
    utterly confounded as to why thieves
    would break into his garage and only steal
    the screws holding his car's grill in place

":eek::D

Mart3406

===========================

17. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

durso1.jpg durso2.jpg durso3.jpg car craft 9 57.jpg gilder.jpg rosier.jpg car craft 12 57.jpg soderquist.jpg svendsen.jpg car craft 2 58.jpg 1959.jpg fournier.jpg car craft 3 59.jpg schneider.jpg sloan.jpg
    I now see the NY Empire State front license plate. The rear plate is a 1991 Palm Beach FL with a Road Kings NY ? car club plaque. The palm trees in the photos show the car in Del Ray Beach FL when it was owned by Angelo Fiorini in the late 80s . When Fiorini purchased the car it had just 50 miles on it since completion. Durso built the car and kept it for a couple of years then sold it to a guy in FL who had problem getting it registered so he parked it till Fiorini got it. I do not know if Fiorini did the update to blue or sold it.

18. Great thread, thanks for sharing. I can remember most of those pics, my mate`s John Gilbey, John Parry & me used to drool over your Rod pics & dream of owning a real American Hot Rod, you guy`s were sooo lucky. Things did get better for Rodder`s in U.K. as shown here in 72 "Custom Car" my 32 Ford 5 Window.......Cheer`s Bri..:D[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  19. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

GREAT scans!!!! Where did you find Jerry Devotos -57 ford? I LOVE that car!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  20. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

57 ford.jpg 57 buick.jpg 56 merc.jpg 59cad.jpg fairlane 500.jpg 58  Bonne.jpg fur dash.jpg 47 linc a.jpg 52 chry.jpg 49 chev.jpg lancer.jpg dodge trk.jpg shoebox.jpg 49 ford.jpg birds.jpg magazine was titled "Grease Machines"

21. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

40 ford.jpg cc jun 58.jpg holder 2.jpg wild cat.jpg car craft  oct 57.jpg goulart.jpg woody.jpg holder.jpg car craft 2 57.jpg graham.jpg johnson.jpg car craft jun 58.jpg hocker.jpg moore.jpg cca 58 cover.jpg back pages

22. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Awesome thread. I love the metalflake ad on page 2!!

23. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

I'll contribute an interesting one from the January 59 Rod & Custom

Attached Files:

24. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Diggin on this stuff, thanks for sharing !!!

25. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

A few pages for the truck guys. Not the best scans cause I didn't have the patience to get them perfect.

Attached Files:

26. RodP

RodP

This is Joe Bailon. Known for Candy Apple Paint. Northern California Custom Legend.
    RodP

27. budd

budd

a friend of mine has a room filled with boxes of old mags and books, mostly Mechanix illustrated, Popular mechanix and Popular science, the books are manuals on welding and metallurgy, he was a local shop teacher, all mine for the taking, i always figured there would be one with something about Burt Munro, the other day i was there helping out and walked into the room and up to the first of many stacks of mags, 3 mags down i found this one, June 1964, i can only guess what else in in there, it would take weeks to go through them all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  28. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Looking For ANYthing ( Magazines)..on Grady's "Oriental" bubble -top Olds from Stamford Ct. Grady was Paul Gommis partner with the "Beast From The East " Fueler. Reports are the car is "secretly" being restored in Ct. and no one allowed info.

29. razorback

razorback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Sweden

thanks!

30. rbantique

Thanks for the thread.
    Surprisingly, I remember many of the pics shown
    even know these early mags were scarce down under.
    Or am I showing my age ..