Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods steering column drop support bracket..pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Aug 15, 2010.

1. looking around trying to come up with some ideas for a column drop support bracket..kinda long, right about 8" is what i'm needing,,,,got pics??even of shorter ones,,,SHOW ME WHAT YA GOT!!!!

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Good Question.. You beat me to it.. I wouldnt mind a little info as well..

SHOW some pictures..

3. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I made my own. Waiting for Tech Week to post how.

4. lowelife

lowelife

Modified my stock model a one. Cut it in half and welded a 1/4" thick piece of steel between the cut however long I needed it. Ground down and painted. Looks good.

5. wow tech week?? gonna die waiting to see it hahahha....

i seen them made from connecting rods to drilled aluminum stock....looking for the shape that "fits"....been busting my hump for 2 years trying to make it "special"........may just have to tack in a temp so i can finish the steering....still impressed as to how easy it is to turn the steering wheel on my pete n jakes / superbell setup....

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here's a pic of what I did. I bought the actual column drop piece of metal on Ebay, with the appropriate hole cut in, for about $12. I think you'll be able to see details of how I engineered it from the pic. The nice part is that it's adjustable north, south, east & west & can also be adjusted angle wise. Note that the column drop is actually welded to the threaded rod. It's also very solid & doesn't depend on the strength of the dash sheet metal for support.

Now that the dash is installed, it covers all of the bracing, so it looks pretty clean. I did do some additional bracing at the firewall after I took this pic (which was quite early on in the build).

[​IMG]

7. like the adjustability of this one....

on another note, your pedals look almost as tight as mine...plenty of room for clutch /brake....but none for the throttle pedal:p

8. Energy

Energy

Old piston rods work great for that. look around for the right size
    ;)

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, since you mentioned it, I located a later pic, which shows what I did for the gas pedal. I also lengthened the pedals by an inch or so, so that it was more comfortable for me. I forgot to mention that the hanging pedal unit is also suspended on the same bracing that I used for the column drop thing. The steering column positioning is basically determined by where it has to go through the firewall to be able to join the steering box in an efficient manner. So, the pedal positioning has to follow that, etc., etc. You get the idea. I recently started to drive this thing & it all seems to work pretty good. Like any hot rod deal, it takes a bit of getting used to.

[​IMG]

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

On my last roadster I modifyied an early Ford drop w/key switch and lock to work. Sorry the pics are not better. Basically I machined an aluminum drop, then mated it to the Ford drop. I don't have a progress pic of the 2 mated up but maybe it will help you a little.

Attached Files:

11. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Easiest one I ever made. Simple Hemi connecting rod with a home made "bearing" to fit the column. Top was cut off and a swivel mount made to accommodate the column's angle. Old school and simple.

[​IMG]

12. CL1

CL1
    from Toledo, OH

What kinda body is this? I love the swivel modification, BTW...

13. Mine in my Anglia.
    Cardboard templates and beer were my creative medium.

[​IMG]

14. thinking alone the same lines for my topolino....looking like i'm going to maqke the front section of the trans cover, by the bell housing a removal peice...save lots of room for the throttle pedal opposed to leaving enough room to unbolt bell from below...figure i'll notch a spot for clearance on throttle pedal when i get to that section of the flooring....what i've mocked up works, except for full pedal depression....then it gets tight,,,blame it on my size 8 dd feet......

thought about a piston rod for the drop, but it is a really long drop..8" at min...

wanting to get the steering fully welded in so i can steer it to go scale the topo...really wondering what it is going to weigh...if i had to judge by the way the vega steering turns, then i know it'll be lighter then my blown vega wagon was..it tipped the scalles at 2680..titl nose, blower and my full cage, full interior...i'ld love to come in around 1600-1800 lbs...but ...ain't got a clue.....

15. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Deuce glass body from a manufacturer that went out of business 5 or 10 years ago. I had it for over 15 years just sitting on a dolly before starting this build. Here's another pic of the swivel mod.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  16. i like that doubled look...mine is high visiblity, so...trying to think it thru.////

yeah, i like to use cardboard...it is great for figuring out brackets and stuff ....i use it alot too//even for big stuff..like firewalls and slicks:D

Lil Beast 1-1-10.jpg

17. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

A stock Ford big truck drop of the 30's or 40's is a bigger drop than the car drop, that is what I used.

It wont get you really close to 8", but it might work for someone.....

[​IMG]

18. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

Here is the one I made for my 32 roadster.
    When it was finished, all the steering column wires went through the "V"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

i'm just glad to see i'm not the only guy thats gotta weave himself in between the wheel, pedals and shifter!
    i dig that V8 column drop too. it just screams for a gauge in the top of the 8.

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Similar to using a connecting rod, I made mine with hidden Allen bolts, tighten from the rear of bracket.----------Don:D:D

Attached Files:

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another view

Attached Files:

22. Canuck

Canuck

Using a 34 Chevy dash in my 30 Coupe so Model A stuff doesn't work that good.

Figured out the angles needed to mount to the dash and angle of the column and fabricated this with about a 6" drop:

[​IMG]

Canuck

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Not mine but I like this modified Ford drop. I think he digs old gauges as much as I do.

24. How about a couple Triumph con rods?
    [​IMG]

Tim likes this.
  25. what's the length on those bad boys??they look long......

26. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

Oh man, i like this! I've been struggling trying to figure out how im going to fit everything, and almost started regretting a manual, almost! I hope i have that extra bit of space to notch for the gas. Right now i have my clutch like half an inch from the wall, and gass hitting the tunel.

27. Norfab

Norfab

Couple

Attached Files:

28. yeah i am really tight for the go pedal...but i knew that going into this...started with a sbc and automatic....but got the hemi bug...and the 5 speed bug all at the same time...:cool::cool::cool:....i got small feet too, so.....8 1/2....ordered a go pedal and it should be here monday...then we'll see what's up with it all..right now i think i have the space figured out...but the carb is left side controled and that puts it right in line with going straight thru the center of the distributor..which isn't good...so more modification to do when it gets here...

but i have come to realise, topolino, hemi, 5 speed===== lots of modification:D

29. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Im using a flathead connecting rod. Dont have pics because I havent finalized it but it allows you to pretty much make it to whatever size you want. I machined up a sleeve to take up the difference diameters. Seems like its gonna work out for me.

30. Paul

Paul
    Editor

F1 column with Model A con rod