Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toy Cars you had as a kid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Hemi J, Aug 13, 2010.

1. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Seeing the Smash-up Derby Thread made me think of a toy I had as a child, and I cannot for the life of me find this thing on the Interweb.

It was a stock car set with trailer and it had 2 plastic stock cars, a cab over style semi and the trailer had a toolbox with jack, plastic wrenches, gas cans and so on. The cars were very generic looking and were molded in yellow and red plastic. IIRC they even had a blue car in some sets.

I am pretty sure it was made by Buddy L because I can remember the truck having the small slot "mag type" wheels. The trailer also had matching tires IIRC. But, it could be made by ERTL too - thats where my memories fail me.

I have searched nearly every toy site I have found online, and never found this set. Any of you remember it? Also, I was born in 73, so its not that old of a toy and would have been from the late 70s early 80s.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. henry29

henry29

3. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was born 10 years earlier so all those toys I grew up with are worth a darn fortune now. Example, my aunt was working at Mattel in Industry during the late 60s early 70s and she would give me the newest hot wheels on the market. I had all those first redlines and more. I even had the track set with the super charger house and bank curves and jumps. If it was hot wheel, I had it.
    And guess what happened to those old redlines?! I wore them out and when I got a little older, threw them in the trash. I could go on and on about all the car related toys I had and how if I had kept them all in mint condition, I would be a millionaire today but back then they were just toys, just like toys today.

7. MP&C

MP&C

This is a little older version I had from BuddyL.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. rschilp

rschilp

So cool.. I've still got all my hot wheels, they are probably worth a fortune but my kids and my nephews and nieces love playing with them.

The two I kept separate were a Renault Alpine and a Mustang 2+2... both cars I decided when I was a kid I would own as a grown up. I do own both of those now.

9. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Not related, but super-mega awesomeness!! (thanks Blake)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjTAA_da97w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjTAA_da97w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Back around 66-67 my kid brother and I got these 57 Chevy gas engine tether cars. 049 Cox engines about 1/12 scale they where pretty cool. We never kept them and now I seen one at a swap meet the guy wanted $125. I really wanted it but not that much.

Pat

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive always wanted to find the yellow 55 chevy that went to a race track set,that a freind of mine had in school.
    I was very young but remember bringing it home and asking my dad what kind of car it was,He told me it was a 55 chevy,I immediatly said (thats the kind of car I want when I grow up)
    I never changed my mind;).........Man that would be cool if I could find a little car like the one that started my obsession!

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

'54 Fords and Mercs, Kustom cars, and '56 Ford trucks & Fruhof Trailers from Post cereal boxes in the 50's. We had a way to lower the cars!

Attached Files:

13. I had a red '63 split window vette with a dice shifter sticking out of the back. It had slicks and a giant chrome blown engine with zoomies. You pull the shifter and it goes foeward and makes rumbleing noise. This is going off memory. It was circa mid 80's. I think about that thing often.

I also had a black '40 Ford Tudor Hot Wheel with rubber wheels. I still want a '39 Deluxe Sedan today because of it.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a '53-'55 Corvette in diecast, about 1/8 scale, that I wish I still had. It was made in the 50s, rubber tires, opening doors, hood and trunk. Steerable wheels. I've never ever seen another like it, and I've looked on eBay and other sites for years.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ha,ha I had looked before but couldnt come up with anything as I didnt really know what to look for.
    This thread sparked my interest again and what do ya know,Im pretty sure this is it,a 70s AFX 55 chevy:D
    [​IMG]

16. For some reason I had alot of GT40 toys [ I still have most of them ] Too bad that is as close as I'll come to ever owning one.

Doc

17. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

still have my cox buick Riviera, its had a top chop, the side vents filled and was candy red, now sitting in a box in the shed :(the one i wish i could find again was a basic plastic roadster kit, no fenders, slicks on the back, was about '65?
    Roger

18. knotheads

knotheads

i had many toy cars as a kid .my all time favorite is the wind up schuco micro racer.i still own it to this day.

19. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I got this as a little kid for Christmas. Still have it. It is battery powered, has functional differential gears, halfshafts and working suspension.

Attached Files:

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I went back in life and rebought all my favorite toys Afx set and cars and models and also the famous corgi Batmobile which I took apart and restored ,Theyre not made to be taken apart but JB weld saved me.I only bought my favorites.

21. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Does anyone remember an orange 40 or 41 Willys coupe that had a lever on the side that you would crank. Then, you would press a button(I think), and the front end would stretch, showing the engine, then it would take off in a straight line? I have been looking for one these for a long time, because they wouldn't buy it for me as a kid.:(

22. I remember a 1/24 th scale 1959 Pontiac with a small button under the front bumper. When you pushed the button in the wheels moved in to the track of a 1958 Pontiac, release the button and you have the WIDE TRACK look of the new 1959 Pontiac.

23. I bought my favorite toy on Ebay years ago... Marx Pit Change Charger... I used to walk around with mine like Linus did his blanket. I had lots of plastic bin toys as a kid... mostly Gay Toys from KMart... I've bought another collection back offa Evil bay 1 at a time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  24. I spent any extra money on my slot cars. I built my first side winder from scratch in 65 had lots of fun. then came string rays there went all my funds.Lol still love string rays all my kids have had them and now were doing the grand kids.

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My brother and I had the ssp crashem up rip cord cars, hell on moms toes, and the base boards. Evil Knievel motorcycle, redlines, promos, model cars, big wheel, sizzlers with the fat track. Still have most of the hotwheels and models. Dam, wish I was 7 again.

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My brother and I had the ssp crashem up rip cord cars, hell on moms toes, and the base boards. Evil Knievel motorcycle, redlines, promos, model cars, big wheel, sizzlers with the fat track. Still have most of the hotwheels and models. Dam, wish I was 7 again.

27. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I got one of the early Strombecker slot car sets one Christmas, and me and Dad stayed up almost all night playing it. Does that count? :)#

28. Deuces

Deuces

I still have mine... And a bunch more.. I love those old Aurora and A/FX slot cars..

29. Joel W

Joel W

I built Hubley and Scale Models Model A's, Chevys etc... Lucky dad built them as a kid, and we would look for originals un-assembled when I was little, and Scale Models re-popped them for a while... you actually had to file down the flashing and paint the cars

30. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

my first "toy" cars as a real young lad Id say around 2 or 3, I would find rocks shaped like cars, and than make roads in the dirt and push them around, around 1951 or 2.