Register now to get rid of these ads!

drain your compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, Aug 10, 2010.

1. My pump is so clapped out I'm pretty sure it would never blow.

2. i didnt drain mine often enough and it rusted out.WHEN IT BLEW it almost blew a hole in the wall. lots of damage inside the shop.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have on on mine too. I highly recommend it. One less thing to remember.

4. Just wanted to say THANKS for the reminder, because I did what I said earlier, and found that my drain was plugged up. SO, thanks again.........it could have been a real big problem and I have a sign on my compressor "Damit Drain it Weekly".
    later,
    firstnomad
    www.angelfire.com/jazz/flatlandstudio

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

6. studemisfit

studemisfit

A not so funny story about leaving your air compressors run all the time. I work at a rock quarry as a heavy equipment mechanic and one weekend we forgot to turn the air compressor off. Needless to say our engine oil hose some how ruptured and drained our 400 gallon 15-40wt tank. We spent all of our monday cleaning the shop. Boss was pissed. Good times.

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

thanx . do it everytime i turn it on . its a bitch but saves alot of hassle
    star on the side of your thread.

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Thanks for the reminder.
    I've often wondered why they can't come up with a coating for the inside of the tank to help prevent it from rusting.
    You'd still need to drain it of course, but why do they leave them bare steel inside?

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Hmmm - maybe POR fuel tank coating? I think this idea has legs.

10. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

The first shop I ever worked at (back in the 80's) I got tired of laying down and draining that tank every morning. I ended up fitting a hose much like you did, but grabbed a scrap block of steel, drilled a hole to fit the hose into, and slotted the block on the bandsaw. Then I drilled and tapped a hole across the slot, and used a cap screw to tighten the block down on the hose.

Kicked it outside every morning before opening the valve and blew that nasty stuff into the empty lot. Pulled it back in, shut the door and went to work.

Easy!

11. crash11049

crash11049

I leave the drain open just untill I hear a slight hiss, and turn off the compressor off when not in use.

12. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Done! Thanks for the reminder.:cool:

13. Bluetick

Bluetick
    from USA

14. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I used to pour in a cup of water soluble oil. You can get it at machine shops. It's for coolant in the band saws. That way if there is a big water build up between drainings (especially in winter) no rusted out tank.

15. customcory

customcory

I got my drain configured so I use my foot to control it so I don't have to bend over.:D

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yea, me too!

17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Its called production overhead. Manufactures dont want to spend the extra money for the epoxy lined tanks. Tank manufactures such as Manchester and Sylvain both offer epoxy lined tanks in any size you want them in. They are extremely expensive and the only time I ever see them it is in medical facilities. The weak link is the threaded areas for your in and out ports that have no protection they can fail over time from rust as well. You can use stainless too, they do make em but expensive is an understatement.[​IMG]

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Right back to the POR fuel tank liner. Clean and etch the tank with fittings in place. Coat the tank with the fittings in. Now it won't rust at the threads, nor will it ever leak. Wipe off the coating from the inside of the fittings before the coating cures. Now you have a forever air tank.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thanks I just did and flooded my lawn.Lol .Thanks I just did .

20. yardgoat

yardgoat

I got my drain valve at a truck stop,comes with a 3 ft cable.Screw it in and to drain just pull cable that i tied up so easy to reach,and when pulled it moves the stopper sideways and lets the water out.Release it and it centers itself with no leak,spiders,ect.Think it was about 8 bucks and well worth it...............YG

21. Thanks, I'm gonna call home and leave a message and drain mine when I get home from the shop.

22. Every day, after each use.

23. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Thanks again for the reminder. Mine peed out about a quart of water this morning. :eek:

Gotta remember to drain it more often.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I went to work at this one shop I dont think anyone ever drained the compressor or changed the air filter,it was a old service station compressor that I guess had over a 80 gallon tank and it was 3/4 filled with water and it took a long time to drain. Went back a couple years after I quit and they destroyed it and was replaced with a much smaller compressor.

25. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

When Im using alot of air I like to drain my tank every few hours just takes a sec and I can do it with my foot no need to bend over:D Im lazy

Also dont forget to put a few drop of oil in your tools they will last alot longer

26. budrow

budrow

Thanks. My wife just reminded me to go shut mine of,guess it was left on again,and I'll drain it while I'm out there. Thanks again. (She also told me to clean the sink and pick up my greasy cloths)

27. Damn , I forgot to again, tomorrow for sure , made a note to myself,,,,

28. djmartins

djmartins

Ok, sounds great.
    Have you done this and if so could you give us all more info so we could do that same to our tanks?
    Basically, give us a tech post on this!!!!!!
    Please?

29. i have had my compressor from 1942 for 10 years and never drained the tank, i can't find the drain, i guess i should drain it !

30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I bent my drain valve moving it and decided to change it.Well I saw it only had about 20 lbs pressure and figured it wasn't much so I unscrewed it and WHAM that sucker shot out of there like a gun going off.I was lucky it didn't take off my fingers.I did the ouch a lot dance around the garage.That sucker shot across the street and embedded it self in my neighbors siding. STUPID MOVE,never to be repeated,LOL.Lesson learned in life always drain ALL air before unscrewing fittings or plugs.