Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry T

Larry T

I still can't get used to every jacked up doorslammer being a GASSER. Don't even get me started on BOBBERS (bikes or trucks).

Yea, I know the discussion on both has been beat to death.
    Larry T

2. Yes !!!! This has to be the worst !!!! "CHEBBY" ??? What the fuc* is chebby. Repulsive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Three deuces is not tri-power!

4. thaugen

thaugen

"Built" to describe a drivetrain part. Could mean anything.

As for ORIGINAL MILES, my understanding is that back when odometers only went to 99,999.9 miles, the car was NOT on the second time around. I doubt it means the same to most who use the term.

5. Zerk

Zerk

Not every 6 is a V6, not every 8 is a V8, and you'll be hardpressed to find a V4 in anything besides old farm machinery and Saabs.

"Needs fixed". "Needs restored". If you want to talk like that it's your problem, but when you write that way, it says that you don't give much of a damn.

6. Ads that read like they've been done by text messaging/SMS... :rolleyes:

I'll also chime in that the term 'classic' has been overused. I remember 30 years ago when I was told by another Buick owner that my '64 would "be a classic in 4 years time". I suggested that it would be 20 years old in 1984 and would NEVER be a classic - a nice old car (now 46) that I've enjoyed owning for 34 years, but a classic? I don't think so!

7. The word REBUILT.

Even so-called experts and "professionals" use this word to describe a poorly performed repair that hardly even qualifies for a "quickie overhaul".

That nearly always tells me they are either crooked and lying to you, or too dumb to know any better.

Either way it reflects very poorly on the person using that word for something that was NOT remachined and assembled with fresh new parts.

If you simply OVERHAULED it, don't lie to people and show yourself to be so stupid and dishonest.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. Back in the day, when someone told us about 'original miles' we usually asked about how many unoriginal miles a vehicle had... :D

It was a standard joke, especially when dealing with used car salespeople, that everyone seemed to use.

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If a 57 Chevrolet looks like a shoebox, what the hell kind of shoes are you wearing?

10. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

I love when somethings advertised as "One Owner" What good is it if the "One Owner" treated it like shit?

11. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Using the word classic to describe an 83 Chevy Impala

12. wrong!

13. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I hate the overused word :( Awesome :(

Tri power posi motor.... I am guilty of all of them. Though I will argue the motor phrase.
    The misspelling I have been guilty of that BUT know how to spell Camaro and I will spell check most everything.

14. Ha Ha par for the course!

15. genosslk

genosslk

If you want a good laugh and wonder where some people got their education from..... read EBAY ads!!!! I just crack up with the spelling I see on there. Poor grammar throughout, and no periods after the sentences. The entire text runs together, you have to decide when the sentence ends. A real cross section of our educated people!

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

now thats funny,,then again,,nos does not mean sparkley clean ,,and boxes are important to a point,, You need to define NOS,,surface rust dust does not cancel out NOS,,,but hey

17. I hate it when you ask someone about a certain issue or part of the car/truck and they answer with "Not That I know Of" or "To The Best Of My KNowledge" instead of being truthful. This is the usual answer to the rust or previous accidents question.

Or "Rust Free" then when you show up after a 4-500 mile drive and find the floors are gone and they answer you with "Well For A 30+ Year old Car it Is Rust FRee", WTF! and the best answer is "Floors Are Easy To Change" then why in the hell didn't you change them?!

18. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Ok, where as you ARE right about the terms, you are very wrong about the person.

19. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

"Traditional Rod Forum" for a net forum full of threads about 2010 Camaro raffle tickets and theme songs for your car and similar crap. :mad:

20. When idiots use "your" instead of "you're" :rolleyes:

If I read an ad that ends in "Thanks and God bless", I know I'm about to be screwed by the devil. :mad:

mmerlinn likes this.
  21. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

"restored" or "all stock", then you see a car with a maaco paintjob, aftermarket wheels, stereo, shifter, headers, intake and carb....

22. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

Note to Craigslist advertisers:

A 307-powered four-door disco Nova is NOT a musclecar.

Neither was a four-door '69 Lemans, or for that matter, a four-door anything.

Apparently, in the year 2010, any '60s American sedan is a "musclecar".

23. duel quads
    duel exhaust

24. turdytoo

turdytoo

I hate the phrase" old school", not because of what it implies but because it is so over used and misused

25. Tin lizzy

Tin lizzy
    from Ireland

on evilbay -
    New original NOS ford model t champion X spark plugs hot rod street rod rat rod gasser 57 chevy
    Grr...

26. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Camaros and Mustangs called "hot rods". Just ain't so.

27. InPrimer

InPrimer

F/S 19XX, lots of new parts, $15,000 FIRM ..... or best offer???? WTF

28. Deuces

Deuces

They're pony cars....

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Ebay is amusing, Craigslist is appaling. Do these folks spend all their time texting? They cannot make a cogent sentence, they cannot seem to correctly spell the name of an article that is sitting right in from of them.

I also detest the "fully restored" term that accompanies a list of the modifications made to the car. And, what on earth is a "frame-off' restoration? I'm sure they mean body-off, and half the time I don't believe them anyway.

Last rant is for "just needs..." - if it just needed that, you would have done it and gotten a few more bucks for the car.

dj

30. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

I hate it when people say "chrome molybendum". I quit saying that about, oh, a couple of weeks ago. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.