Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Ever Said No to a Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Aug 12, 2010.

1. el shad

el shad

I saw this in another thread on here and thought it was Really Cool. I would dig seeing one of my cars in an ad like that!

2. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Exactly, but oh no, it's the rat rodders/OSR sect who are the scenesters...

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

What'sthe difference between shameless self promoters and heavy hitters? I don't really see one. You act like that's a bad thing. And I use the term "well liked" because the specific guys I mentioned have what are generally and universally considered some sweet ass cars using the hamb definition. I know nothing of their personality. But why stop there? Why not just call those guys whores? Oh wait, you basically already did.

Church and Rodders Journal are both of the HIGHEST quality mags in print today. But I can't buy them at my grocery store. And they don't come out very often. Rod & Custom is a great mag as well and also features as many hambers as OSR without the bamboo tiki beer tap handle no floorboard death traps. No argument there.

And the last time I checked, Hot Rod mag only had one issue in the last year worth a shit as far as REAL hot rods are concerned. And Custom Classic Trucks sucks donkey dicks. And I REALLY like trucks. Seriously, Custom Classic Trucks is your answer to a better mag than OSR for less than $20 that is not a quaterly or an annual?

Quality over quantity aside, it is still ironic the hamb bashes mags that feature hamb cars, clubs, shows, and builders. OSR as a specific example as it was one being specifically bashed, has come a long ways in the last couple of years with the quality of cars on the rise. And like I said before, there would be even more quality were it not for the too cool for school hipster doofuses that turn down features.

And let's keep it real. Really really real. For real, real. As far as I'm concerned, the hamb IS the end all be all of traditional hot rods and customs. Anytime. Anywhere. Here, there or wherever. The hamb is a moneymaker? Like that somehow makes it less worthy as the true title holder? So the fuck what? Its a business. A smart one at that.

Still keeping it real, the quality of work I've seen here can be argued as the best in the world now, then or whenever. I'll pull up twenty three threads in eight seconds if you are a doubter.

And still keeping it real, making money is cool. You act as if capitalism is a bad thing. The hamb is not bastardizing what we all love in the name of making money. Quite the opposite.

This is retarded. Why am I wasting my time with this jibber jabber? And of course, this is all just my opinion. No offense meant to jeff or orange.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't read the whole post. I have to agree with the sentiment regarding OSR and such as being a "part of" whether all like it or not. I have a few issues of each for the reason most anyone buys a mag in the 1st place.

Back on topic, the only reason someone should say no to a magazine is if they wish to be in a different publication. More often than before "leading" publications will not do a feature on a car already in print. It's like old news maybe, or they want exclusives. Clearly this idea could be debated as we've all seen the same car in different mags but we're talking individual features vs show/event coverage. Some publications will cover a car regardless in an instance where the other mags may not cross over into the same demographic. I have seen cars in TRJ that I've also seen in HOTROD or Rod n Custom but it's rare and probably an older practice. I'm not speaking any fact but I'd guess TRJ would prefer exclusives due to it's high-end market/demographic.

On the less serious side, I did enjoy the lil debate about those "other" books. Funny shit.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You obviously "get it". Thumbs up:cool:

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

I can honestly say that I have never bought a copy of OSR or the like. Have they had a few good cars in them? Yes, but it seems to be on accident.

As for the original question..

When Alex and I debuted MCD in Santa Maria OSR kept trying to put their whore by the car for photos. We had to tell them several times that we didn't want them shooting the car.

Am I a snob for not wanting my car associated with a shitty magazine? I guss so. Honestly I would rather my cars not be in any magazine before something like OSR.

My personal opinion is that it's like having your car in "Cars That Suck" magazine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

"Cars That Suck" is there such a mag? I'd like to be in that.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

It' my next venture. Apparently it should have quite the following.

9. Brahm

Brahm

Not for that, but I've turned down alot of cheap ass magazines that wanted to use my photographs for free. Sorry guys. I don't work for free.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

awesome.... where do I send my subscription money to? :eek:

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you're a snob for that. You guys did a really high-end car and clearly the mags being debated don't cover that. It's a good thing too for the same reasons I described above...a TRJ exclusive. Was it a feature in anything else that I might have missed? Not counting events, as a feature.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Some of you are forgetting the original question of this thread. It's a simple yes or no with perhaps alittle story behind why, one way or the other. Me persoanlly I don't repect certain mags and what they stand for therefore I would never agree to a feature. What other HAMB members do with regards to being in certain mags is of no concern to me. Unless I read it on the HAMB I really have no clue who's in what cuz I don't read/view those mags. Not even flipping thru them at the grocery store.

I have no control of said mags event coverage. No one does. If my car shows up in some mag because I attended at show well there is really nothing I can do about it. If I did see someone trying to pose someone at my car for a photo for a mag I wouldn't allow it, doing what is neccessary to avoid the shot being captured. I guess I never understood the practice of posing by a car that wasn't yours for a mag.

I'm also a firm believer that all words and punctuation should be correct in mags and books and there is no excuse now days for spelling not to be right on the money.

13. If you read my post you would see that I was not just bagging on the mag,I was bagging that they use cars in a book without even contacting the owner and that is BULLSHIT!!!! As far as who you think is a heavy hitter in the custom world..... well im glad you feel that way,you really do swear by what your favorite mag's tell you.Keep up the good work,your customs you have displayed in your albums are stunning and really reflect your overall knowledge of what a custom in this era is.

14. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Getting a feature in a mag,does not insure increased value to your car. My 27-T old school rod had a three page feature in Rodders Digest,And a single picture in Street Scene, three times. Also featured on several web sites,and a video. I am haveing no luck trying to sell this car. I can't even get people to look at the feature. Rodders Digest did ask permission to take pictures,but I had no idea that they would be printed. A friend saw my car in the mag and called me,that was the first I knew about it.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No...but i guess i would have to be asked first eh?:D:eek:

16. I heart Kirk:)

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yes, on the grammar and punctuation, have you seen the ad for Cragars that says, and I'm paraphrasing, "I had bought my Cragar's before I got my car"? Plurals should not have an apostrophe, who proof read this garbage?

18. Satinblack

Satinblack

LOL i have to be honest I dont keep up with the in and whats not in crap. I see old post that OSR was a great mag etc, so what happened to it? I remember OMG Jesse James was in the first few issues, blah blah blah. Did it change owners? Was it bought by another big money mag.

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you want to keep them from shooting your ride place a logo or art on it, register your logo or art as a registered trade mark, place the little registered trademark logo on your art, let them photo your car. By let them I mean just stand back and let them steal shots, don't condone it in any way. Sit back and see what rags you end up in. Call your attorney and file a lawsuit. Granted the trade marking of art is expensive, you would get more than your money back and I doubt anyone would ever push undesirable ladies in front of your trade marked property again to steal photos.

20. so yesterday i was walking out of the donut shop with a freshly brewed cup of hot bitter with non dairy creamer and sugar, i almost tripped over the guy sitting on the curb right in front of the door. he was a native of some country south of our border, chatting away on a cellular phone. now while this is a pretty common event around here, what was intriguing was his choice of head covering....

turned around backwards so that i could see what should be the front was emblazoned a set of confederate themed flames and mud flap chick with "southern style" across it all.

pretty epic.

21. Don't think that will fly in a court of law. Taking a picture of a car with trademarked logo's is done all the time. Ever seen a picture of a race car in a magazine? Many trademarked logo's there. When the vehicle is in a public place it is free for people to take all the pictures they want of it. Trademark law will not prohibit that and the use of it for non commercial means (advertising) is perfectly legal. It is how newspapers, TV, and magazines run pictures of events and even vehicles every day.
    The other flaw in your thinking is that by "allowing" it to happen by standing back and watching without saying anything is tantamount to giving permission.
    The only way to make sure your vehicle never ends up in a magazine is to keep it in the garage.

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

That's the dude that owns the donut shop, he's a prince and has a 285 foot yacht off the coast of Monaco.

23. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

How are you critiquing anyone else’s album, when you have no cars to post yourself? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    So from an outside perspective, Jeff’s ride’s don’t fit what you think is a custom of this period?<o:p></o:p>
    OSR and CK deluxe do from time to time feature some nice kustoms and rods, and at other times feature some crap. They’ve been getting better and better as time has went on, and a big part of that is that the “mini truckers gone” (aka rat rod dudes) are more into the rebel rodz crap mag because by the looks of it, they’ll publish anything. I don’t dig all the rides that they feature, but they do have some pretty decent ones sometimes and have featured the restorations of some damn fine PERIOD cars; stuff built back in the day, not just stuff that wishes it was. <o:p></o:p>
    Don’t like em, don’t read em. Simple as that. Half the rants on here lead me to believe that folks have either never read an issue or have studied it WAY too much. <o:p></o:p>
    The way some of you talk you might wanna start driving around with a car cover on your ride. You know, it would be horrible if someone else thought it was cool enough to take a look at it or ever worse *gasp* take a picture! <o:p></o:p>

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'm just having fun with this concept so don't get all crazy on me, please. If you were to place on the vehicle a small statement that the vehicle is not to be photo graphed without the written permission of the owner and no photos may be placed in print without written consent, do you think that could get them, it's on the back of every movie. They are making money directly from your property. I just feel that trying to sneak shots of a guys car AAnndd... trying to sneak a model into those shots is pushing it a bit too far, we should be able to control the way our property is imaged. What if the model went up to the guy and expressed her breasts to the guy and they got a couple of shots of his facial expressions, what if his wife saw those facial expressions and said dude get your divorce lawyer. The fact that he repeatedly said no should place them under some sort of liable for their actions.
    I don't know that by not stopping an act that you are giving consent, a lot of things happen to people on a daily basis that they have no idea of what is going on, that you don't protest is not to condone.
    Heres a thought as well, if everyone says no they just may have to start paying for quality photos, even the least attractive hooker is still getting 5 bucks.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

awwww... the panties are all in a bunch.... it's pooh time. :eek:

if a magazine prints 1 or 2 out of 10 cool cars and the rest are shit, then the magazine is still 80-90% full of shit. :D

26. Johnny,never poked fun at your albums but if you want to believe that go ahead.I love old trucks and I think yours is cool but you were talkin about the mag featuring customs, so with all your knowledge you were sharing with us about those mags and the guys who build real customs I was expecting to see a couple kustoms in your stable thats all.I was not poking fun at your vehicles so take it how you want. I am trying to learn from guys like you and you give me the finger in a picture after I complimented you? Wow I hope someday when I do a custom I dont develope the OSR attitude.

27. Satinblack

Satinblack

LOL Zman, Well then there all "Full of Shit" in my opinion

Hell cant even remember last time I bought a magazine

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's all personal opinion... It's all based on taste. How can you argue opinion and taste. Some folks share, some don't... It's simple.

As for me, I've seen a few copies of OSR and it didn't jive with me. I tend to spend my money on glossier, more refined stuff. That's just me.

To me, TRJ is the best hot rod publication ever printed. EVER.

Hop Up? Great as well.

Monthly magazines have just dropped off my radar completely. I can't really comment on them as I don't read them. I don't have a reason to I guess.

29. mj40's

mj40's

Rod Action did a photo shoot of my coupe back in the 70's. By the time it went to press I had changed the motor out and the photo they did for the engine bay was reversed so the flathead had the distributor on the drivers side.
    Now if Bad Bob called and said he was coming over with a few of his girls, well how could I not. :D Still waiting!

30. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I once refused permission to have
    my picture published on the front
    cover of "Henway Or The Highway"
    - the monthly "Journal Of Henway
    Aficionados Worldwide
    "!!!!:eek::eek::D

Mart3406 (Official Henway Motors
    Corporate Historian and Archivist
    )