Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Ever Said No to a Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I'd have to actually be asked first, I don't think I'd turn down the first time, I'd have to see how that went first.

2. Never asked to be in a magazine, but I turned down having my 57 Sedan Delivery in a movie I worked on. I don't own the wagon anymore, so I wish I had done it now. Same wagon was in a commercial, for the drag races.

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

hope this dosen't rub ya the wrong way, but your car in that mag would bring it up a couple notches!
    -the mag.-
    cars and parts wanted to feature my dads wrecking yard about 20 years ago...he threw 'em out-lol
    not sure why, but probably didn't want to waste time with them...

4. This is the truth .

5. big creep

big creep

x2 shes a wacko! ive been around when shes had a flipout episode. trust me stay away!

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

THAT is my new favorite photo. :D

I'd do the same kind of thing, but I'd be hiding in the background... peeking creepily over the dashboard or something like that.

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

And so facts be facts, here's a run down...

OSR #34:
    -Jade Idol on the cover
    -GNRS coverage w/prominant photos of Bo Huff Dixie Deluxe, John D'Agostino Egyptian, Gambino Butt Crack, Fritz Outlaw, Kirk! May Cause Dangerous
    -King Of Clubs show coverage
    -Feature Fast Eddie hand built ford roadster
    -Houston Autorama coverage with photos of cars I've seen on the hamb

OSR #35:
    -Midnight Mass show coverage
    -Detroit Autorama show coverage with lots of hamb cars

OSR #36:
    -Bo Huff and Dixie Deluxe on the cover
    -Dixie Deluxe 6 page feature
    -Greaserama show coverage
    -'50 Plymouth from Vegas 2 page feature I've seen on the hamb
    -Billetproof FL show coverage
    -Sweet ass '47 AD truck with plaid interior feature, if this guy ain't on the hamb, he should be

OSR #37
    -El Segundo flathead chopper feature
    -Poor Boys of FL club coverage
    -Road Rocket Rumble show coverage
    -Billetproof Detroit show coverage

OSR #38
    -'52 Chevy Golden Shower small cover shot
    -Golden Shower 4 page feature
    -Indy Road Rockets' Motoramam 1962 show coverage
    -NHRA Hot Rod Reunion Beech Bend show/race coverage
    -El Goozano '60 Lincoln feature (Los Boulevardos)
    -Jimmy Cole's '48 flaked chevy feature
    -Midnight Mass show coveragew/hamb rides

OSR#40
    -Voodoo Larry's Voodoo Psychosis cover
    -Voodoo PSychosis feature
    -Mooneyes Japan show coverage
    -GRNS show coverage with lots of hamb stuff
    -The Pizz art feature
    -Flathead Harley I'd give a nut for

OSR#41
    -VLV show coverage
    -Troublemakers CC coverage, Gilbert Torres can fucking paint! And he's a hamber
    -The rest is mostly shit, no offense if your car is in there

OSR#42
    -Bad Bob's coupe on the cover
    -'51 chevy feature, Dead Sled CC member and hamber if I'm not mistaken
    -Bad Bob's coupe feature
    -hamb worthy '55 1st series chevy truck feature
    -West Coast Kustoms Santa Maria show coverage
    -Scrapers CC feature
    -'37 Nash feature
    -Lone Star Roundup show coverage

That's the issues I had laying around. Might as well be called hamb school rods with all the hambers, hamb cars, hamb trucks, hamb car clubs, and hamb shows in there. Is there still piece of shit rat rods in there? Hell fuck yes. They show up here too from time to time. More hamb cars in OSR than Hot Rod mag (or really any other mag besides CKD and the specialty mags).

I'm no OSR fanboy, but I buy them to see the hamber stuff. So fuck all y'all and the high horse you rode in on.

8. Big Nick

Big Nick

I've had a few bikes shot for magazines, my first one was in The Horse, I would currently turn them down if they asked again, I think the mag sucks. I have had my shovel in Iron Horse after that and my girl's shovel was just shot for Outlaw Biker. I have also had my truck and bike used in a photo shoot for a fitness model's portfolio. I say do it. It can be fun for the day and it is nice to see something you spend so much time building on the pages of a magazine on the stands. Call me what you want but not only am I proud of my features, I had plaques made and hang them in the house. Like Jeff said, publisity is publicity. The only thing I ask for in the articles is that I get the last paragraph to thank those who have helped, painters, other people who had made parts that I used and so on. It helps everyone in the end.

9. big creep

big creep

high ho silver, AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

10. Man I sure am glad I know what a real custom magazine is now,thank you for teaching me.I mean I love to look at customs and pompador's and cuffs and pabst shifters belt buckles at the same time. Thank u.

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I wish I woulda said yes to Playgirl, now it's too late.

12. Big Nick

Big Nick

Its never too late Nads!

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm not equating OSR with The Rodders Journal. But go and tell Bo Huff or Fritz or Bad Bob or "fill in the blank big name big poster hamber" they're on the cover of a silly ass no account brass knuckle belt buckle magazine. Just sayin...

...you...high horse...etc....

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Trust me, it is

15. blackout

blackout

terd ferguson is right on in his assessment of the magazines.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

So is JeffSled...

17. 100% True
    And by the way: As a magazine freelancer I've both said to a big NO to writing for magazines I dont like and doing features about cars that dislike.
    We writers/photographers have to keep the standards high and show the good stuff, not junk. Magazines do set trends, as much as the internet, and there are some current trends that I disapprove with...
    My full support to Hop Up, TRJ and Kustoms Illustrated for keeping their standards high.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  18. I totally agree! Seriously! The way some people look down their noses on here sometimes makes me think they probably have lawn chairs with pictures of their cars printed on them.

Love it or hate it OSR and CKD both play a healthy role in traditional hot rodding. YES there are some abominations printed in there too. But if you really wanna hate on a publication I'd point some of that anger at the Rebel Rods pub. Thats one I think we all would turn down.

19. This is getting funnier by the minute. I know the names you described are VERY HEAVY HITTERS in the custom world that is why I was thanking you for teaching me which magazine I should buy,I mean come on ...... all the real HEAVY HITTERS are into "kulture" as much as cars . thanks again!

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If it adds to the provenance of the car, why not?

21. ******** 5 ******** turd! This is a digital hi five!

22. It is simple, I am literate so it is what's written BETWEEN the pictures that is so revolting.:rolleyes:

23. Satinblack

Satinblack

It cracks me up how two faced people are. I seem to recall the term rat rod used here offen and everyone liked it, but once it started becoming negative then everyone jumped back and said we hate them.

But its ok when one of your own build a piece of shit that is literally a hunk of junk that shouldn't be on the road, but since "so and so" built it its cool..........

I guess I'm just to straight forward and honest.

As far as having your ride in a magazine, if your asked and you want to go for it. If your gonna be picky be prepared you may never be asked by the ones you want to be in, who knows. I can say if im not asked then it wont happen, im not gonna chase them down and try to pimp my car out

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and unhealthy as well, you said it yourself, the abominations that they push a well.

I don't remember it being often, it may have been more accepted but all the crap calling itself a rat made it negative and rightly so.

25. el shad

el shad

Why doesn't everyone just start publishing their own magazines with pics of their cars in it, and then subscribe to it. Maybe not the best financial move since it will only have one subscriber and will feature the same vehicles every month, but at least everyone will get exactly what they want and quit crying like a bunch of 7th grade girls on here.

Just a thought. If you don't like it I don't care 'cause i just crack me up.

26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Jeff, buddy, why so cynical? Like it or not, these guys are heavy hitters (and well liked) on the hamb AND have covers on OSR. Believe you me, I'm not saying OSR is the end all be all trend defining Kustom/Custom mag of the last century. But I do find it quite ironic that too cool for school guys like you bash one of the only mags that costs less than $20 that actually has hamb cars in it.

Bagging on mags that feature our bretheren is gay. To do so is an insult to all the clubs, shows, and builders I listed in the couple of issues I detailed. Maybe OSR wouldn't have to have as many bamboo themed abominations if you hipster doofuses wouldn't keep saying no to features.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  27. "image within the car community" WTF ???

28. Heavy Hitters OR "Shameless Self Promoters"?

Well Liked OR "Perceived" Well Like by People who do not live in the same area or state?

As far as "One of the only mags that cost under $20 and has HAMB cars is it?
    You must not get out much.
    * Rodders Journal $14.95
    * Rod & Custom (There is a thread on all the HAMB Cars) $4.95 or $5.95
    * Church $10 Well Spent
    * Custom Classic Trucks $4.95 or $5.95
    * Hot Rod $6.95
    * Kustoms Illustrated $8-$10 Not sure...

As far as Jeff being to cool for school: I just think he is pointing out like some others Quality over Quantity

And one last note: Lets not forget the HAMB is not the "end all be all of Hot Rods & Customs" either! It is however, one of the smartest ways of capitalism when it comes to Hot Rod & Customs and turn a $$

With that being said I did let me 15 year sub to Rod & Custom lapse and stopped buying most mags expect for Rodders Journal (Best Money Spent)

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

Back quite a few years, I had a quarter panel show up in a mag picture of a group of cars at a show. I was kinda jazzed. foolish youth...
    A few years back, an independent guy slipped me a card and wanted my car, another OT one, for a low budget movie. Didn't bother following that up, too many horror stories.
    Nothing I currently own would get a passing glance. One I'm currently working on might, but I'm just too darn picky and would probably kill any interest with demands for 1. copies of all photos, 2. proof editorial copy before publication, 3. right of refusal if peddled to a mag I was not interested in supporting. See how that would kill things?

30. Not a magazine shoot as per say but a fellow Hamber and photographer for Coker Tire shot photos of my 32 Ford truck in Knoxville,Tenn.to feature in their tire ads,,the advertisment was in this past August and September Goodguys magazine.

[​IMG]

Took about 45 minutes of my time and I thought it was cool just to see it even though it wasn't a full photo.HRP