Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrungyGary

GrungyGary

"fresh engine" ...... that sounds like a new set of rings , hand lapped valves, a can of STP.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

"NEVER OVERHEATS" which means it does............

3. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Leaving out the words "to be".

Needs restored instead of Needs to be restored.

Some other phrases used in ads that suffer the same fate.
    "Needs cleaned"
    "Needs painted"

:rolleyes:

4. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

Still never got use to an "Engine" being called a "Motor". Two totally different things. Over the years I've heard several car guys call Backing plates....Vacuum Plates, and really thought they were right.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see that the heat has many of us looking at the "dream sites" and other ads/forums. This is the 3rd post regarding fucked up descriptions and poor grammar. I'm not knockin it, just sayin...

But hell, I'll play. What wears me out is the average cruise night poser. His car has all the kool shit that he read about in a magazine or heard someone talk about. I've learned to just agree and smile and go look at the next car. I posted a few years ago about the kid with the 410 duration cam. I know a guy who revs all of his SBCs to "8" or "8-5". "Never had one that wouldn't...". Uh, yeah, kool bro...

I hate when someone's looking at my work and telling me how good someone else is. Don't know why but someone telling me "...yeah so-n-so does really nice work. Ever seen one of his cars?" Seems rude. And yeah like said already the old motor/engine debate. Get over it. They're motorcars. And really, at the end of the day, who fuckin cares?

This was the long version of NADS' reply if I got it right.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

When people use the word "Vintage" and the item is a brand new copy

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I and Noah Webster would respectfully disagree. Also those goofy guys who gave us General Motors, Ford Motor Company, and Mo(ter)Par(ts). The Vacuum plate thing I just don't understand. Where is thay comming from?

8. cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
    from colordo

Fresh from the salvage yard with a couple cans of engine enamel.:rolleyes:

9. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

http://www.harveycrane.com/secrets7.htm

HIS HISTORY AS A CAMSHAFT MANUFACTURER
    compiled by
    HARVEY J. CRANE, JR.
    October 1, 1999
    <TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=AutoNumber1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=#111111 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Ed Winfield made his first performance camshafts in 1914. These were motorcycle cams with individual lobes pinned to a shaft.

His first automotive camshafts were ground in 1919 when he built his first homemade cam grinder. Ed was 17 years old at that time.

Ed told me his mother gave him the money to purchase a used grinding machine that he converted to a cam grinder by adding a rocker table. This homemade cam grinder was used in his mother's garage to regrind Ford Model T camshafts into racing specifications.

Ed told me he first made only two masters, a SEMI RACE GRIND and a FULL RACE GRIND! He later made a third master that was more duration and lift than the SEMI but less than the FULL. He then used the FULL RACE master as an intake and the new master as an exhaust.
    He called this new reground camshaft a THREE QUARTER RACE CAM! Ed said "It was three quarters of the way to a full race cam".

According to Dema Elgin, ED began working for Harry Miller at the age of 14 1/2 in the carburation department. Within a few months he was doing other machine work on the famous Miller racing engines. Harry wanted Ed to stay on with him and offered Ed more money. Ed was being paid .60 cents per hour and was offered .70 cents, but ED wasn't fond of Harry because he was like a dictator.

Ed quit grinding camshafts in October of 1969 after he finished a batch of Drake Offenhauser camshafts. That's 55 years of grinding cams!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In the late 60's I worked in the parts department for a Chevy dealership. In the parts book in 1969 under camshafts it listed a "3/4 high performance cam" available for 409's. Talk about woulda, coulda, shoulda? I could have bought bare aluminum big block heads for the princely sum of $138.60 each. (cost + 10%)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And Dema started with Ed when he was in San Francisco. Ed ground a cam for me before he quit and I was honored to buy it from him. Dema still grinds my cams. Just got one for my '26 Dodge Bros with Morton & Brett OHV conversion last month.

11. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Sometimes they should pay attention to the guys with the grey in their beards, they might learn something about the tradition they claim to love.

mmerlinn likes this.
  12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I can see how "backing plates" can sound like "vacuum plates" over the phone, or something. All that shows, though, is that the person is repeating whatever (they think) another person told them.

13. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I may be alone on this but; I hate the term "pop up" pistons. It sounds like they would jump right out of the engine if the heads were off. Its a term Iv'e heard alot, why not hi compression? Normal Norman

14. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

"Best offer". That usually means, I ain't really wantin to sell it, just trolling to see what kinda money she'll fetch.

15. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Hay HILLBILLY. "Should have, could have". You got that right! I DID. In 1962, bought a complete Chevy 409 carb to oil pan, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, T-10 4 speed delivered to my local Chevy dealer for, are you ready??? $1575.00! Also if you pick up a 62 Honest Charley catalog, you could buy new 97s for $12.75. No not a erra $12.75

16. 1. Many cars that are not T Buckets get the label anyway.
    2. Stall convertor.
    3. Using the letter "z" to pluralize.

17. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

From the" Bargain Corner "of The Grand Rapids Press.....1986 Pontiac,Runs great,needs engine. Huh?:confused:

18. It also cracks me up when people call everything they put up for sale "NOS" with pictures of rusty parts and no original box to be found.

It also get's me when people write "Must Sale" in their add.

19. dart165

dart165

Couple of annoying ones:

"Great patina" = Paint is shot, and there's healthy ammounts of rust

"Lots of potential" = With enough money you can do anything!

"For parts or restore" = Parts car with restorable car price.

"Best offer" = I dont know what i want for it, but i'm hoping your offer is more, and will get insulted if it's less.

"Ran when parked" I refuse to commit to saying it doesn't run.

"Frame is solid" = Everything attached to it isn't

"Needs little tlc to be perfect for dream cruise" (this is one for the MI guys)= It's a shitbox thats been sitting in the yard, but i'm desperately trying to pull on the heartstrings of anyone, anywhere within a 45 mile radius of WoodWard Ave.

20. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

In 69 we cleaned out the sheet metal storage area, & found several NOS Tri-five front fenders, a bunch of quarters and the clear plexiglass deck lid, that they used to showcase the engine in the 1960 Corvair showroom car. They told me that if I could get $10 a piece for the Tri-five sheet metal to sell it.

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Here goes ,I am a Mopar lover and worked at a dealership when it was good, I hate it when people talk about their Six-Pac Cudas and Road -runners, They never made em, Dodge made Six-pacs, Plymouths were Six BBL's.
    I run my stock 327 8 grand all day long,check and see if your tach is turned to six cyl.
    This or that street legal car ran low 10's in street trim in 1970.If your street car would run with the days pro stocker then why wasn't you out there kickin Ronnie Soxs ass every day.
    I had a guy tell me he took some stock pistons and modified them to 12.5 to one compression.
    A guy whos dad runs a pawn shop tells me everytime I stop in that he has a hemi cuda that he can't drive on the street because it lifts the front end every time he takes off.

22. I get excited when I see something advertised with a "wench".

23. wicked 49

wicked 49

...when people refer to it as a "VIN number"...just repeating themselves, and being redundant...:)

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's spelled Camaro not Camero people! If you can't spell what your selling then I not buying it.

25. I ABSOLUTELY, MOTHERFU$%ING HATE IT when people say "chebby"!!.......and i'm usually so positive!

26. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

i hate when people post wheels as universal instead of multi lug

27. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I think that this is the one that bugs me the most. Needs restored. Usually referring to some rusting hulk of a "Mom's Grocery Getter" 4 door. I think someone wrote that once that didn't know, and someone else read it that didn't know, and somehow it got passed along and morphed into everyday usage in the giveaways at the checkout counter. Not every old rusting POS is a classic, vintage or antique. Most that are left around weren't that desirable when they were new and were left to rot 'cuz the person didn't want to spend any more money on it

The other one is some old black primer Toyota with red wheels and the words rat+rod somewhere in the tag. I remember Weez saying that on TV and LOLed because I'd seen it too many times myself.

All in all this thread is hilarious. ;-)#

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Like new and you can see from the pictures its rusty................

29. The two that rally bug me are ;
    RESTORED - and then the description goes on the talk about the motor swap, disc brakes swap, body mods, paint color change etc. Restored means to bring back to a former or normal condition

ORIGINAL MILES - This is the stupidest thing ever said. What exactly is an UN-ORIGINAL MILE? As someone else said I think what is meant is Actual miles, meaning the real actual miles on the car, not a turned back or altered odometer.

30. zzford

zzford

Classic and antique. Nothing like a classic 82 Toyota. In reality, there are very few "true" classic cars. Auburns, Deusenbergs and so forth are "true" classics.
    Another pet peeve is calling wheels, rims. Also "body drop" when the term is channeled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.