Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The history of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Mar 2, 2010.

1. B.A. '66 here. We moved into the neighborhood the same weekend Lockwood opened. My son lives in his grandmother's house on Broadmoor, and my granddaughter goes to B.A. The grandkids went to all the same schools I went to. They would come over and ask, "Grandpa, did you have Mrs. soandso as a teacher?" not thinking that the teacher would be 100 now!! Yeah, Bedford's went up in smoke one night in the '80's, I think.
    Does anybody know what happened to Jackie Weisenburg (sp?)?
    We all thought he was one of the coolest guys around.

2. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

ah remembering the old times when men where men and sheep were scared. When i was a kid we used to go to the egg plant up in Prosper where you were nearly guarunteed every egg would be a double or triple yoke. It was a trip to get there from Irving. Now with all the highways you can be there in very short order.

3. Hey Mike...The 32 Coupe of Bob Sponseller is the former
    "Mud Hen" of Buddy Anderson before his Fiat...
    I sold that car to Sponseller.....and we would tease Motley about his "T" as having a caterpillar frame under it..It was so beefy

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  4. k.c.

k.c.

Didn't Weisenburg graduate in '63 or '64? Yeah, I remember him. Remember Rusty Everet? He had a sweet '56 Chevy, until he rolled it! I still see him Saturday nights at Keller's weekly rod show.

5. cracker head

cracker head

Jackie and Rusty were class of 63

6. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thanks guys.
    I'll talk to Rob at the Reunion.

Tim

7. Yeah, the Motley's lived up on Peavy, up from the high school, and we'd get a glimpse of the T on our way home from school once in awhile.
    For awhile, Bobby lived up the street from me and I got to help him put a new frame spreader on the '32. Made it out of bathroom tube and allthread! Had a '32 3 window body of my own, but never did anything with it.

8. Motley worked for his dad Travis in construction bus.
    Drove a caterpillar so the reason for the tease on his "T"
    Bob Sponseller had a beauty shop in the Lochwood SS..
    we would also tease him of being "one of those" as he had the beauty shop..He finally went into real estate and
    as far as I know is still doing that in Garland

9. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

It was for years and then moved to Beltline just east of Webbs Chapel in about '78 or so...

10. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Man I don't remember that at all. What year?

I do remember the Burger Box. Used to go there all the time, even when it was a Whataburger before.

11. late 80's I guess...

12. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

OK. I was off the street by the early 80's.

13. Tejas

Tejas
    from Texas

spent alot of evenings and burned lots of gas on Forest Lane, then when it got late headed to Emerald Lane to watch the street racing, the baddest there was 'Wilki' with a beat up dark Cuda that kicked everyone's butt ..

[​IMG]

14. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Oh man... Many hours spent in that Jack in the Box parking lot. Funny thing... It doesn't look wide enough to be Forest Lane. Who can name some of the restaurants. Looks like the Arby's sign but I don't recongnize any of the others...

15. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

That Arby's with the hat sigh was cool.

What was the pie place called in the 70's?

I also remember going to Booths Toys off Forest when I was little in the early 70's to get Corgi cars and other toys and eating at a BBQ place all the time but I can not remember that places name either.

My Grandmother was the manager at the "Young Ages" store in that mall in the area and for the life of me I can not remember the name of it right now...I remember seeing some planet of the apes movies and Return to Macon County in that little theater in that mall.

It ain't the same over there anymore at all...blah.

16. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

I think the pie place was called Debbie's. Don't remember the name of the movie theater but it was open until the mid-80's I think. Saw many movies there. Was one of the last "real" movie theaters in the area.

17. falfas55

falfas55

Wasn't it Hanna's Pies?

18. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Its funny everyone used to cruise early then head to Emerald. We always started at Pioneer in Irving then either went to Forest and then to Emerald or we would go to Cooper and then to behind Miller Brewery. We never got home before 5am amd usually ended up at Awful House. I watched Grafitti the other night with my nephew and he has no idea what cruizing was like. He looked at me and said "So ya'll just drove up and down the road" My reply was " No we criuzed up and down the road" LOL

19. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Hanna's was the name of the pie place, Park Forest was the theater at Forest and Cox, Mr. Booth came out of retirement and worked at Turner hardware until he passed away. When Forest was at it's best was when the only thing between Jack in the Box and Jolly Johns (Dog and Suds) was a Wolf nursery, I think.......Anybody else see Phillip Box bite the guy's nose off, or John Nesbitt pull the Jack in the Box drive through guy through the glass in the drive through. Ah what a wonderful time.

20. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Say... You got some red paint on that '55! Wasnt' that way at P-N-P.

Sounds right on the pie place.

21. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Yep. It was Wolf Nursery. I went to school with Jon Nesbit but I can't imagine him doing that. Maybe another JN?

22. Tejas

Tejas
    from Texas

23. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Very cool. Car Craft came back through in 1878 or so and did another article on Forest in the Crusin' USA series. I'll have to see if I can find my copy and scan it.

24. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

I was watching some old jfk footage and the parkland campus was alot different than it is today . I mean alot

25. The whole of Dallas was different then it is today...:(

26. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Me and a friend got out of TC Marsh that friday to go downtown because his Dad had an office right on the corner of that last turn. I just remember two cops on three wheelers racing up the grassy knoll toward the triple overpass when we were trying to get out of town to get away from the Cuban invasion my friends mother thought was coming. Its was total confusion down in Dealy plaza. We stopped up on Lemmon at Charcols for hamburgers so the day wasn't a total loss. The main things I remembered were her bright pink dress, his bright red hair and how cool those three wheeler looked throwing grass behind them going up the knoll.

27. I was a sophomore at Bryan Adams that day. We could go downtown if we had a ride down there and back. The guy I rode to school with every day ditched me and I couldn't find a ride in time. We all remember where we were when we heard the news.
    In '67-'68, when I was going to El-Centro, people were still milling about in Dealey Plaza talking about it. They still are.

28. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Here's a couple of recently discovered photos of 2 of
    the drive in eating joints in the White Rock area of
    East Dallas where the kids from Bryan Adams High School hung out in the early 60's on Garland Road.
    I was a '62 grad.:cool:

MickeyD

Attached Files:

29. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

The flat black cuda in question was the end all beat all .
    383 with an olds rear end all trim removed and steel wheels .
    three point roll bar and bowling alley seats , i went for a ride one night and that car was just plain bad .
    Its owner is still around and repairs sprint cars and does fab work .