Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49coupe

49coupe

Rare car......especially when its supposed to be rare because of a couple of factory options.

A 1979 2 door Ford Granda or a 1979 AMC pacer is a rare car on the road today, but it dosesn't mean they are desirable.

2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

"My loss is your gain"... ususally means you are about to lose.

"Must sell due to health issues"... can mean, I'm sick of this piece of crap. It gets even better when you he shows you the 'new' project that he is well enough to work on.

3. jobob

jobob

I know,I know, this is OT,but 2 terms that get me are <african american>,and <undocumented workers>.I do not need to explain do i...JOBOB

4. Restored, yeah, a '55 Chevy with a 350, disc brakes, 4 speed, bucket seats. Yeah, sales catalogs at the time showed all those options.......
    A restored car is restored to showroom condition,as delivered from the dealership.

I looked at a car for a person that was advertised as needing a few things. Yeah, rebuild front end, complete brake system, fix a miss (not ignition related), install floor pans, build body supports, replace rockers, remove sheet metal patches over the lower quarters, doors, fenders and more. Needed a new body IMO. He still bought it.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So true. Other wise it would be General Engines that makes Chevys. And Ford Engine Co. making Fords. And my Dodge would be an EngPar.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One that grates on me is "Belly Tanker". For 60 years it was a "Belly (or tip) Tank" Only lately are the new kids calling them Tankers. A KC135 is a Tanker. A KC10 is a Tanker. Old Crow has a Tank.

7. How about putting this one in the "just plain sad" category. This is a draw ticket that was purchased for a 2010 Camaro. The draw is being held in support of the North Oshawa Lions Club. OSHAWA ... as in Oshawa Ontario Canada, the city where these cars are actually being built. Take a close look at the draw ticket ... they couldn't even spell the word Camaro correctly. Sad, just plain sad.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      118.3 KB
      Views:
  8. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

I think the rational for this one is to differentiate between a built 283, vs a factory motor. We built 301s and Gm built the 302. That way GM doesn't have to acknowledge that the hot rodders had the idea first.

9. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

How about a 400 big block Chevy its a 402

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

"Freeze plugs"

that wasnt their intention..if that were the case you would never find a broken block because it froze..
    those ports were put in the casting for internal void sand casting , also to get the sand out of the void after the block was cast and cooled down..the " casting plugs " are put in to close up the breech in the casing so it can be used as a cooling passage with out it leaking

like it or not, thats a fact

just because they "may" pop out if you allow water to freeze in the block..doesnt mean thats why they were innitially put in there

11. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

FLATHEADPETE. Yeah, I knew those terms from high school auto shop also and always brought them up, BUT WEBSTERS says; MOTOR-anything that produces or imparts motion. 2- engine; esp, an internal-combustion engine for propelling a vehicle! I guess like in the Marines, "This is my rifle, this is my gun"!!!

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Where do I begin??:D

The most recent one was a comment heard about my A-roadster...
    "Ohh, look at that deuce coupe ratrod!"...
    Is there such thing as an uneducated compliment??:rolleyes:

13. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I've pretty much learned to ignore the standard 'used car' type descriptions in ads. What still bugs me is when somebody lists a non-Pontiac with three carbs as "Tri-Power",and lists a "Posi" in a non-GM car. Yeah, other cars came with three carbs and limited slips, but Tri-Power and Positraction are brand names of GM, so using them to describe a Mopar is just kind of strange to me.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Complaining about descriptions ad infinitum annoys me

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Selling for a friend.

16. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

"gasser300 FNG" That guy at work probably has forgotten more then you will ever learn about what really started this great automotive lifestyle. If your ever able to pick up a old "Honest Charley" catalog, you'll learn what those terms really mean.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  17. Judd

Judd

calling a sedan a hardtop.

18. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I like this is a very rare '69 what ever.. it's one of 8,000 with this steering wheel.. but it's one of 1,500 w/ the wheel and remote mirror option. one of 200 with the wheel, mirror, and ralleye wheel package, one of 150 that was also painted seafoam green.. one of 94 that also had the optional tach, and one of 14 that had power everything (except the windows), and one of 10 that came with this color interior...

19. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I've also noticed some people seem to think that just because a vehicle is 'rare' that it also must be 'valuable'. Sometimes something is rare because nobody wanted the damn thing in the first place!:D Mark my words-Forty or fifty years from now, you'll be seeing plenty of ads for the 'rare' Pontiac Aztek, with disgustingly high asking prices tacked on!:p

20. 38zephyr

38zephyr

1) Judging by the way people write ads , isn't everything that is not a convertible a hardtop ?

2) Listing for a friend so no negative feedback will be allowed !

3) Mostly solid .

4) Must sale and For sell (maybe that's just a local thing)

5) Immaculant and if it's really fancy - immaculante ! (maybe also a local thing)

6) Model A 5 window coupe .

7) Roadster convertible cabriolet .

8) All the ones previously mentioned !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For those who wern't born yet when some of these terms came about. In the old days cams were almost all ground for Ford V8s. And people didn't really want to hear about lift, duration, overlap, lobe centers, and lots of other stuff they didn't reaally understand anyway. So cam grinders advertised a cam for a near stock motor as "Semi race" Sort of like an RV cam today. You might not be puting it in a camper but it is good for an otherwise stock engine. For an engine that maybe had two carbs, duel exhaust, milled heads a little porting and lower gears you had the 3/4 race cam. Often called a 3/4 cam. For the bored and stroked "Big" engine (over 275 cubic inches) with open exhaust, high compresion, ported and relived and a good ignition maybe with 3 or 4 carbs in a light car. Big lope, poor vacum you had your "Full Race cam. This is the Tradition you claim to be reliving. So if some old guy says he had a 3/4 cam it dosn't mean some of the lobes were missing. Means it was for a pretty hot street driven car.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

77 Nova classic limited landau. 4 door,ran when parked. No motor (sorry) no .trans.
    A 1950 Dodge, Needs paint. Been parked 2 blocks from the beach for 30 years in an apartment parking lot and I put my finger through the fender and didnt even get cut. Then the guy says "You just bought it, I'm callin the cops"! I'm dyin here.

23. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

"RichFox" Well said!!!!

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

For a while I kept seeing the term "fits small black Chevy". What is it for a Vega?

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Almost every 'motorhead' that sees my model A calls it a deuce coupe.

26. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Y-block = "wide-block"

And every ad ends with "would make a great rat rod!"

27. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

"modelacitizen" Explain what is wrong with that???? Great song "My little duece coupe" All close in the same era.

28. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

"antique"

no matter what state licensing bureaus say, a 1985 Honda is NOT an antique!

They quit making antique cars about 1948 and began producing modern cars

29. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

"Deuce" (spelled correctly) means 'two' as in 1932, therefore no model A is a deuce.

30. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Calling a 55 Chevy a Shoe Box, Calling wheels rims and yes calling engines motors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.