Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Ever Said No to a Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Aug 12, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you have ever turned down a magazine that wanted to do a write up on you and your car?

I've been approached by a low budget magazine, that specializes in low riders mainly, but also has classic and/or kustom car stories and photos. For some reason I don't think it's a good idea. Now it if Kustom Kulture, Old School Rods, and some of those new mags I woud do it in a heart beat, but a Low Rider Magazine with 1 story dedicated to vintage cars, and kustoms I dont know...

What do you think? Whats the pros and cons if there are any cons?

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I did one mag photo shoot and it was 3 hours out of my life that I'll never get back. I was asked 2 more times and said no.

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

Oh I dont care about the time.. I'm in the entertainment business so I know how long photo shoots take.. I mean for other reasons.. Convenience is not what I meant.... I'm thinking resale down the road, car shows, other more serious publications, image within the car community, crap like that....

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never got asked and probably never will but I can see that a guy may not want his vehicle looked at as being a certain style that he doesn't think it is. I think the main thing is the quality of the writing that goes along with the photos. I've seen some so called articles that are so poorly written and put together that you can't tell anything about the actual car.

5. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Definitely do it. Having your car in any (most) form of print adds to the car's history and can be passed along with the car to family or new owner. I bought a project car that was in a no longer published magazine that I had to pay top dollar on ebay for. I dig looking at the pictures of the way it was in its glory days. If they do a decent job of shooting it, buy an extra copy and frame the pages that feature your car. Some would say any form of publicity is good publicity as long they spell your name right.

6. ScottV

ScottV

When I was Drag Racing in England, one of the car mags wanted to do an interview with me and shoot my car. I did decline because being American Military Serviceman I didn't want to create and conflict of interest.

7. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I had to go scope your car....I really dig the flames

8. screwball

screwball

Saying no to some cool history. Its your car but sounds like fun what the hell.

9. If you would choose OSR over the Lowrider Mag 1: the lowrider mag must suck exponentially in the negative range OR 2: Your priorities are fucked!

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

LOL, Ol Skool Rodz is the one I declined! lol

11. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you Denise.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

13. metal man

metal man

I couldn't be bothered with any of them.Never been an attention junkie.I think they all suck anyway.A friend of mine had his car shot by one of them early this summer and hasn't stopped talking about it since,f%^&*ing annoying.The HAMB gives me anything I could ever want from a mag and more,plus I can just do a search instead of digging through old magazines.

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you are a shop you should weigh your options, will a bigger fish come along so you can get the publicity?

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hugs and kisses right back at ya.:D

I really like Alan as a person I just wish he'd step that mag up a few notches.

16. Funny how so many bash OSR and CKD on here, but the classifieds here have a ton of ads selling past issues for sale. Someone is buying that mag :rolleyes:

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've never been asked to have my car shot for a magazine probably never will,but if I was asked, I would probably do it.Although Pat Ganahl to shoot my merc for a book called Lost Hot Rods;Remarkable Stories of How They Were Found.The book should be out in Sept or Oct.Sorry for the plug.

Attached Files:

18. Yeah I think people are buying OSR and CKD on the HAMB to erase them from Hot Rod History!!! Burn baby Burn!

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I was asked for an interview and pics of the car I was driving for someone else a long time ago...It was the fastest most winning B main car of the season.
    Both the owner and myself agreed across the board, if they pay enough we will do it...
    They actually wanted me to take time off work to do their thing for no pay....DUNHHHH
    They are making money off the magazine and the contents and they want me to donate???
    CRAZY....
    I have been living without magazines for 55 years now and spending the money on beer for me and my friends that stop by the shop.....

20. i should have said no to osr. they did start my male modeling career tho..

21. Have said no a couple of times,but it did make a cover of a mag I really like and a couple of pics in a few other mags but cool one to me was the centerfold spread in a Dutch magazine for the merc gathering that Rik Hoving did.Recently I found out that my car was in a BOOK put out by Koolhouse publishing without me even knowing anything about it,no phonecall email or nothing.I think the way they do business is terrible.I wanted NOTHING to do with this publication at all,their idea of customs and my idea of customs are night and day.The way my car was built resembles nothing of the cars they like or feature.Well at least I know where they rank in the professional world of publications.Very classless move .

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Once I said No to Street Rodder when I had my GMC/'32 Ford 5 window at Bonneville. I didn't have time for that sort of stuff. I thought I was a racer. And once Brett Keptner kind of asked me to bring my roadster over to where he was along the long course. Again I didn't do it and I think it upset Brett. He said I missed my chance to be on TV and I said I had been on TV before. Think he is still a little POd at that.

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep. Old Skewl Rodz, or whatever it is called. My Touring is old (built in 1953) and it's black, but it is not a rat.

24. gtkane

gtkane

Maybe It's just me, but I don't turn down anybody...wether its just questions or a photo shoot. I'm proud as hell of what I build, and if someone else likes it....so much the better!
    My parts hauler ended up in a book on the Winnipeg cruising scene 2 years ago, and I'm still grinning!

25. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I was asked twice and said yes twice. The first time I spent and entire Saturday cleaning up the car and got a great shoot out of it.

The second time I cleaned it and probably had 5 hours tied up in cleanup and shoot time and they never ran the shoot... oh well. I was there and took pictures along with the photographer (hi Scotch) and got some nice shots of my own and learned quite a few things watching him.

Toad Stool Rods?? Really? I wouldn't let them shoot a gimp horse.

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Shit I would, how cool would that be to show the grandkids in a few years!

27. I was asked once- probably had to due with the wife at the time....Was'nt my bag,and they didn't know shit about cars....:cool: I just let luck run it's course,and have been lucky 3 times including a cover,so i'm not bitchin'.:)

28. 61TBird

61TBird

I met Anna Marco from OSR at Viva this year and had a nice chat about "Old Stool Rodz":rolleyes:.
    When I told her I was a HAMBer,She replied, "Oh,you're one of those...":D

29. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

If Lowrider mag wanted to shoot one of my cars, (which they wont), I would think about it for about 10 seconds and jump on it. For many other mags, my thinking time would be lots longer.

30. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been in a bike mag or two over the years and thought it was OK. Shoots were cool, beer, girls etc. Got a bigger buzz from it when mates saw the articles as I never told them. Mum smiled too.