Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riviera rim size and how much to drop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bb1970, Jun 8, 2010.

1. bb1970

bb1970

I've been checking out pics of all the Rivs I can find on here. I need some info from the guys with the dropped Rivi's. Alot of you run Supreme rims. I assume they are 15"s. ? is the width and backspace. Some look like they are 8" wide. Please post a pic of your car and how much you dropped it. And the info on the rims. Thanks, Bill

2. WickedRiv

WickedRiv

I am running 15" steelies with 3"whites. i dropped the rear 2" with some spring clamps from harbour freight.
    I did run a set of 17" American Racing Torque Thrust II's with a 4" backspace and 7" width with zero problems other than I had to mdify the hub on the rim by drilling a few holes to accomodate the drum rivets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bb1970

bb1970

I thought about some spring clamps. Seems like you would loose ride quality.

4. rlowrod

rlowrod
    from Corona Ca

I have reversed wire wheels, they are 14 x 7's and pleanty of room. I lay on the frame and have about 3/4 inch between my tires and my wheel wells. if you run standard wheels you have to run 15's or bigger but if you run reversed you should be OK with 14's.
    I have a couple differant sets both straight laced and crossed laced. One set had 195-70R14 and the other has 175-70R14's.
    if your roll your wheel wells you will pic up another 3/4 inch, so running reversed 14's should be no problem. Standard 14's or reversed 13's are not going to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010

5. hackery

hackery

Hi bb1970, I too was wondering about the rim sizes available to a rivi. I want to put 20" rims on mine but I am not sure how wide I can go and what size backspacing I would need. I was thinking of something like 19x9 front and 20x10 back, any thoughts?

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's probably not going to go over too well here.

7. Church

Church
    from South Bay

^^^I'm gonna make believe I didn't read that.
    Killer riv rlowrod. I think 15's are borderline too big. So all the 14 inch astro's I see are reversed?

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

oooops. too late.

9. hackery

hackery

Believe me, my thoughts were the same but after seeing another 63 with 20" and dropped just right I changed my mind. Here is a picture that another member coolwhip posted of a rivi riding on 20's. I think that looks pretty clean!

Attached Files:

10. Noooooooo! :confused:

I have 15x6, with 3.75" backspace, and lots of room left over.

11. 17 x 8's
    Dropped 3 in the front and 4 in the rear

Attached Files:

12. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

15x7 - standard offset - Air Ride

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Bandit Billy and yenko540 like this.
  13. bb1970

bb1970

I just got 3" drop springs from Jamco. I hope I still have decent ride quality. And don't drag bottom all the time. My old Riv really rides great as is. But I have to lower it. It has bee so f*cking hot here this week I haven't been down to the shop. Maybe the heat will break and I can get off of my ass. I'm itchin' to see it dropped. I think 17" rims are as big as I would go. I really like 15" Supremes too. But I'm a poor white boy so stock rallies it is for now.

14. The big wheels-
    [​IMG]
    Vs. timeless classic look-
    [​IMG]
    No comparison; cheaper too!

I have seen the black car in person, it's perfect.

15. friskyspatula

friskyspatula

19's and 20's can look good on some cars, but they will definitely hurt your ride quality. Part of a good ride is having some sidewall to flex when hitting bumps. A lot of folks ruin very expensive wheels because there is only an inch or two of sidewall... hit a pot hole wrong and you have a bent rim.

I would have to agree that 15's are about the best wheel size.

Just my 2 cents.

16. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I first opened this thread thinking 14's were the way to go. Now 15's are looking damned sweet. Dirty Dan's is BAAAAAADDD ASSSSSS. Those reflections don't lie.

I know I am one of the few who thinks the 63-65's need to be chopped a sliver (2 inches max).

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Count me in on that too.

18. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

20's are for stage coaches astros are for rivs

19. Big rims look horrible on rivys.

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Wow- nailed it!!!!!

[​IMG]

21. bb1970

bb1970

Yep, DirtyDans old Riv really kicks ass. Hell I like the blue car with 20's also. I wouldn't put 20's on anything I own though. I like this Riv alot and it has big rims. 17" or 18"
    [​IMG]

22. Looney66

Looney66

Richard,
    Can you please tell me what size tires you are running? I purchased a set of 15x7 reverse Supreme wheels but the tire I purchased are to big, can't turn the steering wheel at all! The company that sold me the tires said that they would fit without any issues, a bunch of B.S. in order to sell me very expensive tires that look like they belong on a truck. Anyways any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marco

23. I have since replaced my stock wheels with, I believe they are, 15 x 8-1/2" Torq-Thrust copies in the rear, and 15x6 real American Racing up front. Not sure of the offset or tire size without checking. I'm pretty sure the issue you are having is that the wheels are "reversed", so they stick out much further than normal.

25. Marco, did you ever get tires to fit the 15x7 Supremes. I've bad a set of full reverse 14x7 Daytons on mine with some 5:20 bias ply tires for 20+ years and would like to bump back to a 15x7 but I want to try and keep the full reverse. Just wondering if that combo will work.