Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remembering the Roach Rod...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Aug 9, 2010.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The Roachrod cam along at just the right time for the HAMB. The site was just getting rolling in a big way and many who hadn't been exposed to basic hot rodding got a huge dose as Sam showed everyone how it could be done on a budget and some sweat equity. I to was disappointed to see it languish after he sold it as it was meant to be kicking up some dirt and getting sideways. I hope we haven't seen the last of it (hint,hint:))

Frank

2. like any good roach, you are high for a while, but then reality hits

3. We need to hit up Chubby Kid to get the last known video of the RR on here.

Never before seen footage...

Sam

4. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I ain't saying nothing..

Attached Files:

5. Steve

Steve

The Roach Rod is HAMB History. I remember the initial build, the motor meltdown and sams rebuild of the tired 350 I pulled from my chevy to replace the motor that got killed at the melt down. Sams tech on his low budget intake build after Harlans intake build got all scientific. The track nose build and the hand built gril for the track nose. That car was awesome. Sam hopefully you can get some photos to that kid.

6. Are you working with Joe or just in contact with him?

7. Steve

Steve

wait someones got to have pictures of it from the first HAMBBQ we're we were pushing Sam around in it because it didn't have a motor yet

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey! I get to get in on this one! I remember meeting Sam at the Scottsdale Good Guys in what, 03 when you were on the Egorama and stuffing the ballot box to tip the scales in your favor! Next comes the next year after it had been sold to it's current owner, he and I left Good Guys on Sunday and it was gently raining, around the corner this turned into what could only be described as biblical proportions. That little beast filled up with water so quick, it looked like a bath tub! Great fun to watch your friends suffer from inside a closed car! The last one for me came from just before it was torn down to be reborn. It lived at Elpolacko's shop for a few months and I helped out every now and then around there. It was always a dead sprint to the back of the shop to back the car out and bring it around front! Many times the victor wouldn't come back for quite awhile!!! For the record, Woody the giant yellow dog is the only one that would ride in it with me! The rear tires were pretty worn, but they still have some life and will see it again under my roadster pickup. Love that little car, probably always will. Just wait to see what it will be soon though!

9. freebird101

freebird101

that is one cool looking roadster, the man who made the frame will be in my prayers.

10. Zeke

Zeke

Still got the Ego-Rama T Shirt for picking the Roach Rod's Run time :D

Cool Car.....Different HAMB then, but everything evolves..

11. I remember seeing that thing in ROD&CUSTOM doing the "ego-rama". And I thought it was the coolest thing in the world then and still do now. prayers going up for the frame builder.

12. The infamous SAM-O-RAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. The High zoot large cube motor Sam passed off as, what was it Sam a 283?!;) Ground markings, sand in the paint to look like cast iron. Only to have the tire fail him at the Ego Rama. I say this in admiration, from one cheater to another.:D

14. Fab32 hit the nail on the head. Eloquent as always. Thanks Frank.

15. ShortBus

ShortBus

That's DRD57 cackling at the end of Roachy Donut.

Hey Sam, what was your final build cost?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Steve

Steve

the donut video. I have it on my old computer. hmm I wonder if I can still get that thing to boot to get the video off of.

17. Steve

Steve

haha thats right Tman it was a hopped up 350 he passed off as a 283. Ground off the casting numbers and everything

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I would love to have that grill for my T modified I am building. The RR made me want to build an early hotrod

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  19. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Man that little car was great! I still think its a drag that it got taken apart.....

Those were definately some of the best ever hamb times, and proof that a really good car could be built on the cheap.

Its crazy to think of how things have changed in just a few years.....

20. TERPU

TERPU

Thanks Sam, It's inspired alot of stuff in my little garage. The smile it brought to everybody makes me chase Hot Rods in a different way today. The man that built the frame started a whole revolution and he should be proud! Great Luck at the B'ville I'm lamenting not being able to go.

Tim

21. Bullshit Bob. Things are as good as ever. Just look at the threads! Fuck man, we have a guy documenting his attem-pt at carving a Banger head out of a freekin block of aluminum!>?!?!?!?

There are more and more vintage barn finds EVERY WEEK.

More classic dragcars have been documented here in the last few years than I can count!

No, Bob Bleed, the best of times are now and to come...............cheer up!:rolleyes::):D

22. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I wasn't complaining. Just reflecting how times have changed.... Since those days...The hamb has gone from a creepo message board to an industry..... Ryan is a genius. I love him like a brother......

I guess the one thing that hasn't changed is that you are still a Complete FAGGOT. haha

I really loved that little car and all it stood for. Thats all.

I saw that donut video and imediately drove my roadster to the parking lot across the street to see if I could do one too....... I could. It was probably the best time I ever had in my Hot Rod..... it was like 1 in the morning and I was all by myself. it was so much fun that I had to go get my dad and show him. I was shaking, Excited and scared all at once. It ruled.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  23. Hey Bob... member when we almost traded cars? The RR for your A sedan?

I still have pics of the sedan!

Anyway... The total build in the beginning was around $2800...

Then I spend another 2500 on the 350 for the Ego Rama! Hahahahaha!!

I laught now... but only a few guys knew that.

I actually cut the numbers out of the original 283, used all the tin and exhaust manifolds and everything.

I then built the Sam-O-Ram and put two 370cfm Rochesters on it.

The car would easily run mid 12's at Sacramento... but at the higher altitube speedworld, all it would do was low 13's.

So... Matt's standing there at the starting line after everyone ran...and I was up.

I did a burn out, backed up and a couple dry hops.

Then I launched and one of the old guys there says "I'll be damned if that's a 283!"

Hahahahahaha!!

So many stories....

Like when I called my brother from Arizona telling him I think there was something wrong with the car because it wouldn't go over 110. I said "Yea, I think it's the clutch slipping... as it hits 110 in 3rd and then goes through fourth and doesn't go faster than 110."

He then tells me "My GPS (which is what we used to tell mph) only goes to 110!"

I think we were doing more like 130... it had 3.08 gears!

Anyway... I showed my boy Nate the some pics of the RR a couple years ago and he cried.

I really do wish I could buy the body back.

The irony is that I sold it to pay off the credit card debt I went into when I built the BFD for the 1st HAMB drags. I get that way... say I'm gonna do something, and I do it come hell or high water. I don't regret the BFD, but I do regret selling the RR to pay for it.

I mean, really... how much would it take to buy it back? Vaphead? Bob?

Let's talk...

Sam

24. I had my name on the dash and was proud of it. I also remember the meltdown raffle.
    Proud to be part of that little piece of history.

Sam,
    I still feel bad for putting a dent in your roll bar on the BFD at MoKan when my bumper broke dragging it down the return lane.

26. Steve

Steve

The rebirth of the Roach Rod? I think this needs to happen

27. No Bling...???? what do you call that fuzzy thing on his stantion>>>??? That was all the bling that car needed!;)

28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Dang Jim that was that many years ago? We were young then. I seem to remember the Bob's Big Boy swap meet followed by rocket powered pinewood derby cars the next night or has my memory short circited.

Lee

29. OldRacer

OldRacer

Hi Sam
    It would be neat if someone could put all this in a disk for him, maybe even a copy of Rod and Custom.
    I remember the meltdown well. Picking some stupid time for it to expire, and thinking you had some great neighbors to put up with us rowdies!!!!! Bruce