Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update on the making of a cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by George Miller, Aug 10, 2010.

1. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Been working on the ports and water jackets on both pieces. Still have more to do on the water jackets.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Keep it up George!!

3. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

George:
    Thanks for the update..Please keep the pics coming

Paul

4. What kind of Mill are you using? I have a Kearny Trecker 2H here and am getting ichy fingers just watching your progress.

5. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

What kind of Mill are you using? I have a Kearny Trecker 2H here and am getting ichy fingers just watching your progress.

It was a old NC Moog that I got for scrap price. It was a hyd. machine in its first life, I changed it back to more or less a Bridgeport.

6. oj

oj

You are doing this by hand? With just a digital readout? That is a piece of work. Keep us posted, thanks, oj

7. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I think that you said that this was going to be a 16 valve, overhead valve, head. Is this going to be similar to the old Peugeot style aftermarket head for a Model T with the cool forked rocker arms? Are they going to be pressure oiled or just a squirt before you make a run for it? I talked to a guy with a warmed over "T" and he said that there was a piece of oil soaked felt, under his rocker cover that he just added oil to periodically and that was sufficient to keep everything lubed up for a while. I'm told that was somewhat the procedure on the 4 cyl. OHV Chevs for 1928 back in the day. I'm sorry to be so impatient like a lot of these other guys, but I had considered grafting a '28 Chevy head to the Ford block similar to a video on YouTube called "Poor Mans Rajo"

8. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

You are doing this by hand? With just a digital readout? That is a piece of work. Keep us posted, thanks, oj

No read out just use a dial indicator.

9. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I think that you said that this was going to be a 16 valve, overhead valve, head. Is this going to be similar to the old Peugeot style aftermarket head for a Model T with the cool forked rocker arms? Are they going to be pressure oiled or just a squirt before you make a run for it? I talked to a guy with a warmed over "T" and he said that there was a piece of oil soaked felt, under his rocker cover that he just added oil to periodically and that was sufficient to keep everything lubed up for a while. I'm told that was somewhat the procedure on the 4 cyl. OHV Chevs for 1928 back in the day. I'm sorry to be so impatient like a lot of these other guys, but I had considered grafting a '28 Chevy head to the Ford block similar to a video on YouTube called "Poor Mans Rajo"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it is going to have 8 valves. 2.020 intake and 1.600 exhaust
    No it is not copy of and ones head, and yes it will have pressure above the rockers, spray oiling.

I did a 28 chev head once made a plate with a combustion chamber. The chev head is flat on the bottom. If I was you I would built a 100 hp flat head instead of the chev head, If you use the chev head you will need to put in big valves, the head is really restricted.

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

This just gets better and better!!! I love it!

11. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Did not get much done today, had to mow grass.

Machining for a water pump, and taking away extra metal around the water pump mount. I'm at 47 hours on the head. I was thinking 80 hours for making the head. Looks like it will be close. Now if you had every thing you needed in tooling and a CNC it would be a lot less hours.

Attached Files:

12. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's just so stinkin cool!!!

14. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I can't even make a sandwich without epic fukkups, and you're making a head! That's cool!

15. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Now that is what hotrods are all about...

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Boy that's a small table. 80 hours cutting on the head but how many planning. I know I could do the cutting. It's the planning that I am in awe of. I made a billet flathead and the planning gave me a headach for days. Everytime I try to think about what you are doing I get brain lock.

17. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

18. Abomination

Abomination

19. Not even a read out!,,,,You are a brave man, George, no "OOOPS" allowed. My machinist's hat is off to you>

20. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Not even a read out!,,,,You are a brave man, George, no "OOOPS" allowed. My machinist's hat is off to you>

When I first started machining we never heard of read out. We just counted turns and used numbers on the dials. The first read outs that I seen were in the late 60's

21. A tip, to do this I hit the red quote button on the bottom right of the above reply. See how it gets set aside from my text?

22. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Take a pic of your mill so we can see the entire machine. JC

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I remember the first set of Trav-A-Dials the company bought. I thought I had it made then. Still have Trav-A-Dials on my Bridgport

24. When we make something I always get told you would have to have CNC to do that. (In fact i have even been told that on the HAMB ) To which I reply the first CNC was made on hand operated equipment. There is, as George is so capably proving, absolutley nothing that cannot be done by hand operated equipment with patience thought and care.

25. RAY With

RAY With

One hell of a project to say the least.I hope you post the finished head so we can check it out. Just shows you how much talent there is on the HAMB

26. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Very, Very nice work....................I can't wait to how it performs once you get it finished.

27. dudley32

dudley32

What sort of cam do you intend using..?

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is pretty bad ass man. This is the kind of billet we like!

29. Weasel

Weasel

And you still get time to machine the head and shoot pix and post all this for the benefit of the HAMB community. Do you ever sleep??:p