Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar pushbutton trans shifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ruiner, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm considering using a 727 Torqueflite pushbutton trans from my '63 Dodge parts car for a special project and would like to know if there's a competition style floor shifter available rather than using the stock pushbuttons...I'm looking to stay as period correct prior to 1965 as possible, but if my only option is something more modern then it's something I'm willing to compromise on...so, is there anything currently or previously on the market to accomplish my trans swap?...thanks guys...

2. I drive one everyday.63 Dodge 426 MW pushbutton auto Valve body and case are the only major difference,. System is flawless, the trans itself is the same 727 internals as the rest with minor changes year to year. Which engine are you using and which trans do you have.?Big bock , 318 or ? We used on in asix cylinder altered for years , pushbutton and all. it worked geat!
    Don

town sedan likes this.
  3. rjgideon

rjgideon

Adam, stock automatic floor shifters from the 1965 model year on Dodge, Plymouth, and Chrysler should work with that transmission (I think). '64s and '65s were the same, I am not entirely sure about the '63s. The buttons are pretty awesome, though. What are your plans?

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

I cannot divulge the plans yet, and I was hoping to find something other than a stock floor shifter...would the pistol grip shifters from the later models work?...it's a big block trans, that's as much info as you're getting from me ;)...

5. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

pistolgrips were 4 speed shifters but i guess you could retrofit a PG lever n handle onto whatever auto shifter you choose for this super-secret, highly classified build ... which by the way, has me incredibly intrigued! not to mention, dolmetsch, i'm envious as hell that your daily driver is a max wedge car! got any pics? :)

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

Is there a way of rearranging the buttons into a different configuration rather than in a straight line?...perhaps I'd use the button system if I can ensure I don't hit the wrong ones at the wrong time...I just want whatever I use to be foolproof...

7. ironpile

ironpile

What are your plans for the pushbutton components?

8. rjgideon

rjgideon

9. rjgideon

rjgideon

You could work it with two different sticks. One to select the gear and the other to engage Park. With both disengaged, it's in neutral. I have heard stories that adjusting those cables can be quite a pain, though. Of course if you set it once, it would be good to go for quite awhile.

10. rjgideon

rjgideon

Another thing, with a 727 you don't want to do any staging burn outs in Low (1) because the drum can overrun and explode.

You can always give that trans (and shifter) to me and I'll find you a later 727. I'd even come up and trade you.

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Good to know on the low gear staging...the spare pushbutton components would be sold, I don't need them since they're off of my parts car...

12. you will NEVER hit the wrong button on the 63 in line set up so dont even worrry about it. And it also works well with the cable shft manual Cheetah valvebody in reverse pattern. Back in the day i ran a 1963 Dodge post car with a reworked 1968 Dodge Charger 426 hemi at Cayuga Ontaio. I ran it for several years. I used the 63 Transcase but converted it to a slip joint tailstock and a 67 input shaft so i could use the more common hi stall converters. i raced for all those years with the pushbutton shifter. Not once, not ever, did i push the wrong buton. i raced both with a forward pattern and later a reverse pattern valvebody. Later when we bult the 32 bantam altered with the the Tubo 170 slant six which with trans came ut of a 64 Valiant we took the pushbutton shifter and mounted it in a short housing in the altered. Same deal . Worked perfect. What caugt my eye about this post was that and the fact my private wreckers has a 6 cylinder push button trans up at his shop. I have been thinking about buying it to use in my Sr dragster (slant 6) for that very reason. So i could use the pushbutton shifter again. It takes up very little room. It never messes up and it is easy to find the gears, In fact I have no idea why we use shifters with handles in our race cars when we could use the pushbutton shifters. They are 100% reliable and quick. None of the "what gear am I in now? or how in heck do I get this in reverse? stuff with the lift up and over, wiggle and bang. Just put your finger on the button and push . "Thunk" yer there!

town sedan and vtx1800 like this.
  13. friskyspatula

friskyspatula

In the late 50's the button layout was more of a pod... I am pretty sure that would work with your 727, but you would want to do more research.

I found this site below that has a picture of one.

[​IMG]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2977040/3

14. Ruiner

Ruiner

What's involved with swapping to the later input shaft? And what's the advantage of swapping to a u-joint versus the stock ball and trunion?...

15. R Pope

R Pope

I was going to post some info, then I read that you won't tell what you're doing, so I won't share either. So there!

16. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

in my 55 Dodge truck project, I am running a 1972 Chrysler New New Yorker drive train, a 440 and 727. I have a shifter mechanism from a 57 Dodge truck, the actual shifter guts and dash mounted "pod". When I rebuilt the 727, I bought a kit from Imperial services in Michigan, they have many cable and retro fit kits. This basically took a non push button shift trans ( was originally a column shift ) and will now function as a push button trans. The kit consists ( in this case ) or a beautifully manufactured cable and bracket assembly that secures to the trans oil pan rail bolts, and a low tension detent ball spring, that allows the cable to move the "rooster comb " shift detent assembly through its paces. as well they supply a shift lever bracket. see link, approx 1/2 way down the page, just choose what vintage your shifter mechanism is from and use a 66 and newer t flite....

http://www.imperialservices.net/Imperial Services - C-Body Parts.htm

this would be for someone who was retro fitting a newer style torque flite into an older factory push button car / truck, so it will work in your case if you decide to get a newer trans, and mock up a push button shift mechanism , similar to the type Gene Snow used in his drag car, was basically a box with the shifter in it mounted in his case almost outside of the car at the driver side window rail at the door....see pic...

his left hand is on the shifter...

hope it helps some.....

Derek

Attached Files:

town sedan likes this.
  17. And I always thought that Gene was just a very casual FC driver with one hand on the wheel out for a Sunday drive.

18. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

ha ! That's how I drive, but not in such a cool ride !

19. 73RR

73RR

Minor correction here...
    '63 and '64 are essentially the same with a button assembly, but the '65 is a one-year-only unit with a cable operator (not buttons) and a slip yoke tail. '65 is the only year tail that can be swapped to either the '63 or '64 to get a slip yoke.
    As has been said, the button flite is very durable and once adjusted, trouble free. I raced a '64 Polara for several years and never had a shifting problem...plenty of driver issues but that is another story...:D

town sedan likes this.
  20. Late 60's to early 70's Art Carr made a pedestal mount for the "typewriter" that mounted to the floor. At the time I looked into changing my 4 speed to a automatic and using one of them.

Maybe contact Art Carr Transmissions, he's still in business and see if they havy any suggestions.

21. There is no reeal advantage to swapping the ujoint. A lot of fellows do it but I have gone both ways. When bust a ujoint being foolish and I have it is never the ball and trunion but always the cross and roller joint. I mentioned it beofre justso you know it is easy to do but it isnt necessary for any particular reason.
    to dhange the input shaft you need a trans pump and input shaft from a 68 to sevenites. PRE LOCK UP) 727. It is a straight bolt in . The shaft is on the forward clutch drum and in the 904 is just on witha C clip and can be easily driven out and replaced. I do not rtemeber if the 727 is the same because I havent done one in 6 or 7 years but I just dod a 904 conversion on my rail and the parts that need changing are the same. The staor support (fat splined piece sticking out the front of the trans which the input shft stick out through and the input shaft itself. Race converters need the splines these have because it is the most commn and all converters aremade for these and not the earlier coarse splines. You can do it yourself or a freind in a trans shops should do it for about 1 or 2 hours work. It is nt a big deal. i usually just buy a donar trans and often a 318 727 (or 340) as they are cheap and easy to find. I posted some of the 904 conversion and it is the same proceedure so it does apply.
    Search torque converter and it will show up.
    Don

town sedan likes this.
  22. stevilknievel

stevilknievel

I've done a few burns with my 63 727... usually shift into 2nd after 4000 rpms... then 3rd after that!

23. LOL! Typewriter!:D Now you're talkin' my language! Hard to beat a "Chinese Six with a Typewriter"!:cool:

Didn't the early Dodge A100 vans with automatics have some kind of a funky looking shift lever that stuck out of the dash? Don't know how adaptable that might be in your case but it might be an interesting approach and look somewhat period correct.

24. 4406

from Oklahoma

There was a after market floor mount box shifter available. Call Dave Smith@ pro trans he is the best torqflite guy in the country 661 940-7400

25. George T G

George T G

Yes they did. The 64-65 had the two cable shifter, Should also be lots of Barracuda Dart shifters from 64-65.I may have one if no one grabbed it on me.
    GEORGE!!

26. I've got a 64 slant 225 with the 904 torqueflite.. do they make a floor shift conversion or a column shift that'll work? It's going in a 46 dodge wc.

27. George T G

George T G

65 Mopar is the same trans with 2 cables so a 65 column would work I may have a floor shift in a Barracuda

28. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I know exactly how to upgrade to the later input but it is super secret.
    Do not fear burnouts in first gear but the reason is a secret.

29. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Do not fear the ball and trunion u joint as that is what the 64 SS hemi cars used.

town sedan likes this.
  30. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I do not think that you will be able to find Art Carr with that search. Instead you will find the people who bought his business and the right to us his name. The bartender bought the bar!