Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller vs Lincoln

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Rules, Aug 9, 2010.

1. 32Rules

32Rules

I went to the Street Rod Nationals with the intention of finding a good show buy on a Miller 180.
    While I was there I tried both the Lincoln 180 and the Miller 180. I found the Lincoln much more comfortable and easier to use.
    I am a novice welder, just wanted to know what you guys thought before I purchased it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. metal man

metal man

I've used a lot of machines from both companies.Both have outstanding products.Buy the one you are comfortable with.

3. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have both brands in my shop and cant say a bad thing about either one.
    They both make a great product.

4. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I have a Lincoln 225 stick. I sure miss my old Miller Thunderbolt 250

I have a Miller mig for sheetmetal. It's still my favourite.

Shawn

5. metal man

metal man

Lincoln welders are made in Cleveland.

6. cretin

cretin

Personally I'm a Lincoln man, but like metal man said, they both make a good product, go with what's more comfortable for you.

7. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

A guy at the welding supply house by me said that welders are regional. In the south, its Miller. Up north its Lincoln.

I have a Lincoln MIG

8. metal man

metal man

Yea, I know the M.I.G machines and wire are made in that plant as I've toured it a few times,But maybe they farm out some other stuff.The Cleveland plant really isn't all that big.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have both makes and like them equally............

Ray

10. krooser

krooser

Owned both... good units.

11. ryno

ryno

i'd vote for the miller
    I've had Lincoln's before, but like the millers better.

12. switchkid0

switchkid0

Check out your local welding supply house or houses. Choose the one where the guys at the counter aren't pricks, and not too busy chasing comissions to talk to the little guy. Whatever brand they carry or recommend is probably your best bet. It makes it easier to get parts/ supplies/ service down the road.
    Whatever brand you decide to go with, there will be a dozen guys who say it's the best, and at least two dozen who say it's crap. Kind of a "Tastes Great, Less Filling" sort of argument.

13. crapshoot

crapshoot

there both great machines,but i like red better

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I bought a Hobart. A girl I used to date worked at the factory in Troy Ohio. I'm not sure if I like it better than my 110 lincoln, they cut some corners but hopefully they're made up for in more important areas.

Are the higher end lincolns metal gear wire drive? I know my cheapie wasn't. Aren't the millers?

15. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

sorry to high jack but do any of you guys know anything about the old miller 330 A tig welders. i was looking at a 180 but i keep seeing these old gilrs show up on CL and am thinking of buying it instead.

also i have both a two red migs and one blue mig a red plasma and a blue gas engine ark and they are all great machines

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I dig my miller, but nothing wrong with a lincoln either, I've used both.

More of a personal preference I think.

17. fbama73

fbama73

Switchkid0 has the best point- check and see if one is easier to find part/service for up there in Plymouth. If there's no big difference, decide on preference or price. They're both excellent welders and should serve you well for years.

Miller has a great reputation (well deserved) and a loyal following (also deserved), but they're all pretty equal. Well, except for Hobart, who eats everyones lunch :)

18. StinkBug

StinkBug
    from San Diego

I've used about everything out there, and have owned at least one of all the big machines. They are all good, but when it came time for me to put down the money for a new machine I didn't choose either.

HTP MIG 200 won out. Made in America, without a lot of frilly plastic crap, and with copper windings instead of aluminum. The arc consistency is just beautiful, and it's got a few little features that Miller and Lincoln dont. It also has a much finer amperage adjustment than the others. There's not as much local support for the machine, but to be honest I've never needed it. I use the machine every day for my business and in 6 years the only thing I've had to order was a couple replacement liners since they didn't have them at the LWS. Now I just keep an extra one in the shop and order a new spare when it's needed.

The other thing that sold me on the HTP is the flexible swan neck. You can hold the torch handle stationary in one hand and use your other hand to move the nozzle around in super tight spaces, or pull it out straight, or bend it 180* to get into wierd spots. It's the best option you could ever spend your money on.

19. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I am a Blue fan myself. Have 2. Mig and Tig. But nothing wrong with the Red ones.

20. 32Rules

32Rules

<P>Thanks I like the local support issue.</P>
    <P>I got what I needed.</P>

21. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Miller is in Appleton, WI, I believe they also own the Hobart brand.
    Lincoln is in both Toronto, Ontario and Cleveland, OH.

I don't know about Lincoln but Miller has good product support techs that are available by phone.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I just Bought the Miller 180 Auto set..(made in the USA says so on the tag)

love it..shoulda bought it years ago

23. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I agree with switchkid, see your dealer, how they treat you and what they have the most parts for, i have a lincoln a miller and a hobart, i have no issues with any of them,,, as said before seems like north is red and south is blue

24. kookee

kookee

I went to Autorama to buy a Miller 180. I ended up buying a Miller 211 with all the trimmings. Beautiful machine with enough flexibility to meet all my needs. I will be going back to Miller for a Plasma and TIG.

I have used (Im a beginner BTW) a Lincoln, nothing bad to say. It was a neighbors Home Depot rig. The speed control and heat were not very dynamic. But I am sure it was a lower end model.

25. Ricci32

Ricci32

Both machines are excellent but try to stay away from the home depot and Lowes even though they are by lincoln they are of lesser quality for price and homeowner use. This told to me by a lincoln sales rep . I have a HTP and love it lot of cool options.

26. switchkid0

switchkid0

Gets me to wondering...
    Why are no welding suppliers Alliance Vendors? There's a lot of wire burners on here. Heck, even a reduced shipping discount on wire and other supplies would help out some of our members in the boonies.

27. Ryan was working on somthing with Miller a while back but I don't remember what happened with it.

28. thebugbox

thebugbox

This is the same as asking Chevy vs. Ford

Buy what you like. Either one will do the job without problems.

29. uglydog56

uglydog56

I have a lincoln 180 and it's not bad, except for one thing. The drive wheel wears out fast, and I'm not cranking on the spring, just enough to stop slipping. I'm not production welding or nothing either, just fabbing in my garage.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  30. pauls fords

pauls fords

Ditto on the HTP, I have the 160DV dual voltage , welds 120 amps on 120V or 160 amps on 220V, plus I have there 380 plasma cutter and buy all my mig wire from them, call 1-800- usaweld, If it breaks they will diagnose the problem on the phone and send you the repair parts so you can fix it yourself in a couple of days instead of weeks, have had mine for 10 years with no problem, also use it nearly every day.