Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The history of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Mar 2, 2010.

1. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

yes it is..its martin sheen:)

3. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I am not knocking you guys are trying to start a fight but I want to mention something to you about thls.

My entire life no matter what side of the fence you were on politics or anything one thing you did not do in the DFW area is make lite of the JKF thing.

It was a black mark for Dallas and old timers like my dad will bite their tongue before saying anything to you about it but they really think very low of you when you bring it up or joke about it.

I grew up around some pretty well known businessmen and such my entire life in the area and I know/knew people directly related to the events of that day and the aftermath and even now you can see it in the eyes on the ones that are still alive when they hear people joke about it or ask questions in a certain way and that is indeed a big part of the history of Dallas.

Tying this into hot rods and the HAMB a bit more a little known fact is one of the Ruby jury members was an original Chaparral for example, and he really does not think stuff like that is funny at all still.

So be careful about those jokes, it still hurts some of the people here to this day and some of the people that lurk on the HAMB.

rfraze likes this.
  4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This picture has been floating around on different threads. Does anybody have any information about it?

Attached Files:

5. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Don't know about the car but that is Danny Copeland (Festus...worked out at Green Valley) behind the car.

6. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I must say this is going to be a great thread way to many posts that I would like to address but to start. I was at the big bust between custom automotive and 635 back in the 80s had a tubbed 69 black roadrunner and worked for fast times automotive .
    Was a member of the greater dallas street machines and later our gang , are you out there Monte Darrin chuck and scott from sig , I think a few from gdsm are lurking here Russell .
    What was the name of the burger joint at 635 and harry hines across from city engine ? .

7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Did you mean 635 and 35 and Kellers Hamburgers?

8. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I went back and fixed the location sorry.

9. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

The Hole In The Wall. Good hamburgers.

10. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Hole In The Wall...they tired to do some car stuff their at one time too...

11. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Thats it to bad when it sold it tanked , The parking lot was full on sat nights good times.

12. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

P. C. Cobb Stadium, a WPA project built in 1939 as DalHi Stadium for Dallas high school football. Renamed for DISD athletic director P. C. Cobb in 1957.
    cobb.jpg
    Torn down to build the Infomart in 1985.
    info.jpg

13. Up here in southern Ok, that car was known as "Double Ugly". Jerry Foster owned for a while, and I could have had it for $100 (no drivetrain) in 1989. 100 bucks was hard for me to get back then.

[​IMG]

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

sorry my apologies,didnt mean to offend,point taken.

15. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Brian that car was usualy over by the snuff box cars they could possibly know and or some other teams that pitted close to that car , by the way at the same time there was a car taged as crotch cricket no joke good luck .

16. Dchaz

Dchaz

Was born in 71 so I'm loving this thread.
    mmmmmmmmmmm Griffs Burger basket with a moon pie. My dad run A&B Muffler on Lancaster back in the mid 70s. When theres a A&B there was a Griffs or a Burger box within walking distance. I took my kids to Griffs a while back and they didnt have the moon pies any more.

17. ahh the Burger Box...I use to frequent the one on Webbs Chapel before hitting Forest Lane, anybody remember the place called R.A.C.E. located at North Town Mall? It was some sort of short lived speed shop and with a paid monthly membership you could park in their parking lot friday and saturday nights and not get harassed by the cops.

18. Dchaz

Dchaz

to be honest i grew up in ft worth and didnt know there where any griffs in dallas. i know alot of them are still open in ft worth. I work in Oak Cliff around the corner from western park auto supply, is there a Griffs near there?

19. apound

apound

first person I remember seeing on TV

Attached Files:

20. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grew up in Lake Highlands in the 60s. We used to ride dirt bikes over off Skillman/Audelia area, walked past cows going to high school. The Pig Stand on N/W Highway was a favorite, Underwoods on Garland too. We were a couple of blocks north of KBOX radio station (a C/W station) and used to root through their trash for 45s. Anyone else remember the TV station at 10:00 PM announce "Its 10 oclock - do you know where your childern are?" And, this is true, the tv commercials telling kids not to play with blasting caps...

Not much hot rod action at Lake Highlands High, I remember a '65 Mustang coupe and maybe a model A. But in the early 70s we went from the Heyday of Muscle cars to the "energy crisis" econo-boxes in 4 years flat...

We did go to white rock lake to watch the submarine races, dig for pyrites on flagpole hill and find sharks teeth outside the Great Southwest Airport grounds. And pickup bottles around the picnic tables at the lake for 2 cents each.

Went to school with Mr. Peppermint's daughter. Top that!

21. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

He came to the dedication for my middle school in Plano when it opened because he was related to the people the school was named after...and so was a member of the Butthole Surfers and they were both at the dedication!:eek:

That singer would be the brother of the daughter you knew.

22. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I was not trying to make you feel bad or get an apology and I am not bagging on you, it is just a weird "Dallas" thing that often comes up with old timers.

23. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

Dallas International Motor Speedway (I-35, Lewisville, TX)
    scan0003.jpg

Speed Equipment World (on Josey Ln., Farmer's Branch, and others)
    scan02.jpg

Racing Fuels, Inc.
    scan0005.jpg

Superfuels
    scan0006.jpg

Back in '63 when you you left at the end of the day, every car in the parking lot would have a bumper sticker.
    scan0007.jpg

Anyone remember the Dallas Tornado Soccer Team?
    scan0001.jpg

24. apound

apound

I had forgotten about that but yes I do remember. Also Saturday night Sportatorium wrestling on TV followed by roller derby.
    Also living out in east Texas we used to turn the TV antenna so we could pick up Tyler's channel 7 when the Cowboy games were blacked out on the Dallas stations.

25. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Wow forgot about the great southwest airfield racing on the runways and bridge over the hwy . But Jack in the box at casa view was great ,tacos and deep fried burretos then racing over at garland road .I was talking to some old friends that hung out at the box and several have made the migration to devils bowl and are still racing today . good times .

26. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I forgot about the Vonerics I think thats right and mad dog , I would watch for 1/2 hour before the trip out to the haunts .

27. 3in1...the hole in wall was just behind City Motor supply on the east side of Harry Hinds and still in operation...think the spot was the old K-Hambergers on the west side down jusr a little bit...there was plenty of parking around and in the back under the trees...ate there until they were bought out by the car lot guys...

28. dragnews on here (Ardmore Raceway) would most likely know more about this car.

29. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

yes I remember now the parking and the trees and good food .

30. Speed Equipment World..I was told that was across the street from R.L. Turner??