Register now to get rid of these ads!

User fuel pump survey: Mech. v Elec.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highlander1732, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Mechanical is the only reliable way to go.

2. Lot of sense there.... I also like to have an electric pump on a car not used every day. That way you're not draining the battery and wearing out the starter motor trying to fill the fuel bowls.

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

I'm thinking of adding a small electric pump to the deuce. It often sits for weeks without being driven and the fuel in the carb evaporates. I have to crank it pretty long before it will fire.

If I had a small electric pump that could prime the carb, that problem would go away. I could still keep the mechanical pump.

Just to keep it "traditional", I have an SU fuel pump from an ancient MG TD.....:) ticka, ticka, ticka, ticka.....

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I swing both ways.:D I love the electric pump on the roadster if it sits for a few days/weeks but for the most part I prefer the mechanical pump.

It's going to be interesting to see if anyone ever notices the dual action pump I got for my FE. I took off a new chrome pump just to use this thing. Yeah I'm keeping the vacuum wipers.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, as you state, "for a fairly mild street setup", mechanical should be all you need, but then of course, my car also has manual steering.

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I had a cheapo Pep Boys inline ticker pump in my '57 since I bought it 8 years ago. It fueled the 272 Y block and then the 383 Mopar that ended up in it without fail for the 13 years total. In the time I owned the car, I drove easily 50,000+ miles without any issue of reliability, though on a 120 mph full throttle pull, the big Chrysler engine sucked the bowls dry.

That little pump finally gave up the ghost a couple months ago, so I replaced it with a Holley Blue. The fitting on my tank is 5/16s, so I used an adapter to step up to the 3/8s. It's a little noisy, but it seems to work quite well, and I have 1000 miles on it so far with trouble.

I've used mechanical pumps before, no problems there. They work great. But I'd take an electric over one of those any day

7. aaggie

aaggie

JUst two comments. The 350 block I used did not have the mechanical fuel pump machined so I had to go electric. Since the car was built as a long distance cruiser I plumbed in two electric pumps with bypass valves and a selector switch so I could change pumps if it failed while traveling. It seemed like a good idea but I've never had to use it yet.

8. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Hydraulics don't work that way.

I replaced the electric pump in my 20' boat, powered by a 4.3. The motor feeds a Q-Jet at 4000 rpm all day long. The Airtex solenoid pump is dead quiet and would work fine in a mild car. Marine grade runs about $50.

Screw Holley.

9. AZ29

AZ29
    from Arizona

Using a Carter rotary vane, very quiet, has not overheated even though underhood.

10. There are MANY hi volume mechanical pumps out there. But, I even wonder if you need one of those. When I was a kid, I ran a slightly built small block in one of my early street race cars. With the stock "nothing" mech. pump, I even ran Nitrous with a "T" fitting between the pump and carb to feed the fuel solenoid with no issues. If your BB is mild, there's no reason it can't be run on a stock "brand" name mech pump. Do NOT over think this

11. phat rat

phat rat

I'm running the 425hp 454 HO crate in my cpe with a stock type mechanical pump. It's been on there for over 70,000 mi with no problems

12. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

If the mechanical pump works in your application I say use it. Generally an electric pump is only used if you have a problem with the mechanical pump or your fuel system. Electric pumps can solve problems but they can create other problems as well. Whenever you add an electric pump to your system you really need to re-engineer your fuel system by keeping the pump low and away from high heat locations and wire it properly. When installed properly an electric pump can work really well but if your stock mechanical pump is doing the job why change it.

13. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm thinking about doing the same; Can you give more details, pics?

14. Raunchy

Raunchy

Mechanical if at all possible. Is it just me or is it like the Vette guy said don't over analize it.

15. I have been running dual fuel pumps and dual ignition modules on my long distance traveling Studebakers for many years.
    It saves me from making roadside car repairs when I am many miles away from home.

In case of any trouble, I simply flip a switch and keep on driving.

Here are a couple posts I made not long ago..
    The second one describes the way I hook up the lines so it doesn't need any added valving.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5415540#post5415540

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5416809#post5416809

16. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

mechanical... simple, cheap, effective and most importantly, readily available at any parts store.