Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisser

chrisser

2. YAPP

YAPP

I just checked out that guys build. Wow!

This is how I perceive my own skills and organizational abilities when I start dreaming up my projects. This is how I envision the process taking place. However, as my wife will attest, the reality is far far far..(did I mention far) from my perception.

Terry

3. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

They only question i have is why are you all wacking to the frame off so far back in the front? my fenders stick out 5 inches in front of where it looks like everyone is cutting it off at?

4. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

~~~~Error~~~~~

I sure was talking out of my ass haha.. I had to cut em off pretty far back i have like 2 inches between the grill and the frame now. everthing is mounted but the bed. About how deep are your guys bed?

also the AD truck is a short bed Im going to had about 9 inches right out the back of the frame. The s-10 is also a short bed Im leaving the rear end where its at and just moving the rear fender forward 4 inches to line it center with the wheel in turn this will leave 9 inches in front of the rear fender and 9 inches behind the rear fender. Why are more people not doing this with the short wheel base s-10?

5. Abomination

Abomination

That's the thing - they are. Threads like this one (which happens to be the 'end-all. be-all' on the Internet) inspire more and more folks every day to put more iron back on the road. ;)

~Jason

6. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Well, Terry -
    Perception is the key. Most people's reality is based on their perception, therefore perception is reality. So you're good, just do it.... ;)

7. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

After weeks of making sure our mounting points we correct, extremely customizing the core support/radiator holder, and test fitting and aligning, we have mounted the cab and front end to the S10 frame.

Now we need to get the bed mounted (going to have to raise the floor), and shorten the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been decades since this truck has rolled.

The suspension hasn't been lowered yet, I have 2" drop spindles, 2" lowering springs, 2" de-arched leafsprings, and 1" lowering blocks.

This is the absolute lowest the truck can sit on the frame, we have maybe 1/8" of clearance between the frame and the lowest part of the cab. Our goal was to keep the truck as low as possible, and we definitely achieved that. The hardest part was the core support, which also happens to be sitting right on top of where the power steering lines attach to the box.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  8. uglydog56

uglydog56

Track width is 56" IIRC. A quick note: if you want to build a corner carver, swap in B-Body spindles. This helps out your camber curves, and gives you bigger brakes to boot - 11 or 12". Also, a ZQ8 steering box is high ratio 12:1.

9. ilguy

ilguy
    from Illinois

This is my AD on the S-10

Attached Files:

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Doesnt this swap cause bumpsteer or alignment problems? I seem to recall reading up on it at one time...

11. Fitty-Tree

Fitty-Tree
    from Canada

Ilguy that looks great!!! what wheels did you use there? 2wd or 4wd offset and did you use spacers? whats in it for a power plant, tranny and rear end? Spill the beans my friend. Im in the middle of setting up my rig.

12. uglydog56

uglydog56

With a real low lowering spring, your upper balljoint can bind. As far as bumpsteer, I don't know. I always just automatically do the bumpsteer on my cars, they never sit at stock height so it always needs to be looked at.

13. ilguy

ilguy
    from Illinois

Fiddy-Tree. They are 18" wheels and I did have to space them a bit to get it to look better. It is a blazer rear. I have a 350/700R4 combo in it.

14. Holy crap, 69 pages and close to 1400 responses. I tried the search function and came up with not much... or too much to wade through.

The ideal frame for a shoebox Ford is S10 regular cab, long box. I've got a line on a regular cab, short box frame. I came across posts mentioning how simple (?) it is to shorten a long frame, what about lengthening a short frame?

How about the width of the S10 frame compared to 49-51 Ford?

15. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

What is the width of the frame at the front axles? And is it the same for the different years of the S10? What about track width? I have an International harvester I'm still looking for a donor for. I just want to front clip it though. The mustang II IFS are just too much $$$$.

16. Fitty-Tree

Fitty-Tree
    from Canada

ILGUY:
    Are they 2wd or 4 wd offset on the rims? what size spacer did you go with?

Im just curious as im am almost at the wheel and tire stage of my build. Thanks and it looks awesome buddy.

17. ilguy

ilguy
    from Illinois

2wd. I think there is .75 in the front and 1.25 in the rear. Did you notice that it is a long box as well....Didnt start life as that. Used the longer S10 frame and rolled with it instead of chopping the frame

18. Fitty-Tree

Fitty-Tree
    from Canada

well now that you mention it....... looks good.

I built a 327 for mine with a 700r4 behind it. Blazer rearend with a 4 link coilover set up. do you have build pics as well?

19. raidmagic

raidmagic

After spending a few hours reading alot of this thread I think this is what I'm going to do with my 46 Studebaker. I already have the S-10 to hack up.

20. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Chevrolet 3100 1952 s10 blazer 1996 swap:

Today someone offers me a chevrolet s10 blazer... i know the normal blazers are too wide but what about these s10 one im talking about this type

[​IMG]

21. Other than length, an S10 frame is an S10 frame is an S10 frame. At least for the purposes of rebodying. All of them can be split under the cab at factory welds. 4x4s differ in front suspension details, to allow for the front axles to be driven. I think even the Colorado that replaces it, is the same chassis.

22. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

S-10 truck and blazer have many same components, however the frames are different. The 2WD and 4x4 frames differ greatly.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

And the Calif DMV gets to register it as a 'post 2010', Brand New Registration! And Brand New Fees! Beware!

24. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

its a 2wd.

i dont care about the lenght and i do understand i need a 4wd rear axle...

but is the frame the same wide as a normal s10??

25. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

26. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

27. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

No problem Rob, I am here for you....you know you can use the S-10 parts with my crossmember

28. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

What wheelbase S10 frame did you use? cause I have a shortbed S10 frame and (4) 41-46 chevy bodies to work with..

29. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

I know scott, but the s10 is still not mine... i still dont know what i will do with it...

30. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

have clipped (camaro) my chassis 1year back now i get this offer this week someone has a 1995 s10 blazer 2wd without a engine he wants to trade for my frame

what do you guys think i mean a swap i already did so there i dont see the problem i also like the idea that the s10 has the tank between the frame rails and that the s10 has a good wireharness etc etc.... what i dont like is i need to make the frame longer because the big different a S10 is 2750MM long and a AD-longbed is 3480MM

what for problems wil i get because? what must i change:
    frame extract: 730mm
    driveshaft
    brakelines
    gaslines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.